News Jake King Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the greatest player in the skills department, but he is the perfect example of someone who made it to AFL despite obvious shortcomings, which he overcome with determination, a hunger to suceed, a willingness to learn, hardness at the contest, he attacked the ball hard, had terrific defensive pressure and was a great clubman as well. You cant rely on talent alone to make it to AFL. You also need the right mentality, and that in some cases can be a compromise for talent. Jake was evident if this.

Farewell, Pushup. One of very few players who could honestly hold their heads high after every game.

No, hes already on the LTIL

But we only have 3 rookies on the senior list. Thomas and Stephenson were upgraded at the start, Miles earlier in the year. Unless I am mistaken, with King and Astbury on the LTIL, we can still upgrade 1 more person. I wouldnt be against Banfield for the forward pressure.

Gutted.

Inspirational player and an inspirational human, great bloke. (I can give many reasons, I just can't be bothered typing much more right now)

It's a pity that the naysayers will always remember him as the short guy who hung out with gang members.

280967-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

"King is most well-known for his controversial association with former bikie boss Toby Mitchell, earning AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou's wrath for inviting Mitchell into the Tigers' rooms last year."

Thats off the afl website. What a pack of ******* idiots.

But we only have 3 rookies on the senior list. Thomas and Stephenson were upgraded at the start, Miles earlier in the year. Unless I am mistaken, with King and Astbury on the LTIL, we can still upgrade 1 more person. I wouldnt be against Banfield for the forward pressure.

Astbury is not on the LTIL

Bloke plugged away at Heidelberg and was given a chance and he took it.
Not the most talented Tiger to pull on the jumper, but every time he did pull it in, he gave every ounce of himself to it.
Little man in stature, but made others walk taller when they were around him.
Will always be one of my favourite Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"King is most well-known for his controversial association with former bikie boss Toby Mitchell, earning AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou's wrath for inviting Mitchell into the Tigers' rooms last year."

Thats off the afl website. What a pack of ******* idiots.

It's the league's official website yet they always post trash all over it, absolute joke.

Please keep this thread about Jake, I can see where the convo is going and don't want it in this thread, welcome to take it elsewhere :thumbsu:

Long live the King

Please keep this thread about Jake, I can see where the convo is going and don't want it in this thread, welcome to take it elsewhere :thumbsu:

Long live the King

Sorry mate. And yes Viva La Pushup :thumbsu:

Strange. Why wouldnt they have done that?

Maybe hoping for him to come back for the last few depending upon how his recovery is going (it was listed as a chance in recent articles)

Also none of the rookies are really kicking the door down to warrant a spot.

Who of them would demand a first 22 role right now? Remember we only promoted Orren for insurance (with Maric out and Hammer injured), and we dont have that kind of issue right now

Gutted.

Inspirational player and an inspirational human, great bloke. (I can give many reasons, I just can't be bothered typing much more right now)

It's a pity that the naysayers will always remember him as the short guy who hung out with gang members.

280967-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg
God I wish he had held onto that mark for an extra second or so.
Great photo still...

Well done to push up he got the most out of what he had the measure of the man is how much the boys love him hope he has a farewell game and gets into the boys on our list who have the talent but no heart if they had half of the heart push up did we wouldn't sit we're we are now

Jake King didn't have the natural talent other more skilful players had but that didn't stop him from playing to the best of his ability whenever he played. King made the team walk taller when he was out on the ground with them. He had no regard for his own body and was the master of using defensive pressure to win the ball. When opposition players were in a one on one with Jake King they would of knew they were in for a physical battle.

I am going to miss watching Jake King maul opposition players and kicking goals he created from his own tackling. Thanks for the memories Jake and good luck in the future champ. Goodbye The Push-Up King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back