Ovens and King Football League 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay so 6 rounds to go. Who's tipping who for grandfinal appearances and baker medal?

Provided it gets dry by the time finals start it should be Milawa v Glenrowan, but Tarra certainly still a chance. If it stays wet then anything could happen.

Baker Medal is a tough one. I don't think any one player from any of the top three has been a consistent standout, but Karl Norman is sure to get votes given how recognisable he is. Don't see anyone from Milawa or Tarra winning, but Ben Clarke could get a few votes. Daniel Godsmark has missed a couple of matches but would probably be the favourite for me, and Jeremy Wilson will also be up there. Be interesting to see how James Love polls after missing the first six rounds.

Subject to change, my top three is 1. Godsmark 2. Norman 3. Wilson.

Went and watched Tarra v Bonnie Doon and Tarra was far to good. Had a few of my Bundoora fc mates up watching as the NFL had a bye weekend and they were impressed by Tarra. Bonnie Doon looked slow and undet done but the ground was in good nick. .
I think Love won't poll that well in the O&K B&F as he is hard at it and not a outside player that the umpires see. Talking to the boys from home there was a lot of pressure put on him to stay at the Slime . It will be interesting to see if the kid stays at Bright or returns to Boro next year.

Very exciting round of football to come this weekend! Match of the round surely between tarra and glenrowan, with some even matches across the board with whorouly v bright and king valley v moyhu. Who knows, after Greta's performance last weekend benalla could be in with a chance! Great to see the boys get a win slim

Very exciting round of football to come this weekend! Match of the round surely between tarra and glenrowan

Tarra a huge disappointment today - never in the game against Glenrowan. Tigers very impressive in pretty ordinary conditions though - obviously been saving themselves for a big game.

Tarra a huge disappointment today - never in the game against Glenrowan. Tigers very impressive in pretty ordinary conditions though - obviously been saving themselves for a big game.

Nonch, I thought Tarra would produce better too but obviously not. Heard a while back that Tarra thought they would a chance against Glenrowan the next time around with a number of quality players to come back who were absent for their first clash. Were they under strength again? Would you say an unexpected gap between Glenrowan, Milawa & the rest has appeared? Based on results it was a race in three, now I'm not so sure.

Nonch, I thought Tarra would produce better too but obviously not. Heard a while back that Tarra thought they would a chance against Glenrowan the next time around with a number of quality players to come back who were absent for their first clash. Were they under strength again? Would you say an unexpected gap between Glenrowan, Milawa & the rest has appeared? Based on results it was a race in three, now I'm not so sure.

Off the top of my head I think Aaron Vihm was the only notable absentee for Tarra, apart from Matt Wilson. Glenrowan had Gus Gray, Matt Grantham and Nick Lawrence out, and Nige Robinson didn't play much of the game, so you'd have to say the upside for Glenrowan is much greater.

Even though Milawa only beat Tarra by 16 points, at stages they were doing it easy. Tarra is still very clearly the third best side, but going on their three matches against the top two, they look a fair way behind to me. The thing that stood out quite a bit today was Tarra's bottom 5-6 players really struggled.

You would have to think Bright would be a chance considering how they have been traveling since the Bonnie Doon game. Big result for them yesterday at the mud pit and a few new names in their best which is good. Brights bottom 4 are a worry though from what I have seen although I didn't see the game yesterday. I watched Tarra last week and I thought they would of given Glenrowan a shake but that's footy for ya!

Early thoughts on who's making team of the year?

At this stage my side would look something like this:

B: Ussher, Cohen, D McCormick
HB: Fox, Williamson, Raven
C: J Wilson, Norman, Paul
HF: Stamp, N Robinson (coach), M Robinson
F: Leahy, Moore, S Bradley
Foll: J Bell, Clarke (captain), Godsmark
Int: Salmon, Taylor, Love

Love has only played the eight games, but been in the best two for Bright in six of those. Nige Robinson has missed a few games and spent a bit of time on the bench in others, but he is in the best handful of players in the comp.

Ussher , Cohen , Williamson
Fox , Cunningham ,McCormick
Lawrence , Norman , Harrington
Stamp , N Robinson , Wilson
S.Bradley , Moore , Love
Sussyer
Clarke
Godsmark

Int J. Bell , Williams , M. Robinson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty keen to see how the weekend pans out! I'm picking the blacks over north wang, doon over the bats, moyhu over Greta and whorouly over king valley.
With the top two pretty much decided now I think the match between milawa and glenrowan will still be great to watch, I think glenrowan will pipe them.
Match of the round for me is Tarra vs bright

Can't argue with any of your selections Rumourmill but I haven't seen Glenrowan or Milawa play but not much separates the sides on paper. I have seen Tarra and Bright play 3 times each this year and Bright will have to bring their best out on Saturday to knock over Tarra. McDonagh , Bond and Love are the best I have seen in the comp at clearances when McDonagh gets his hand to the ball but they will have to muscle up against the more mature and physical bodies Tarra have. Bright have to win the centre clearances otherwise Anderson, Salmon and co will put the ball down Moore's throat and he doesn't miss to many on his home paddock. Bright have the leg speed to worry Tarra if they can get the ball out to their runners but it is a big if against a side that will be disappointed at last weeks result. So Tarra for me in a tight one.
Interesting to see Love not in the best in the big win over Whorouly, injured???? Bright will need his grunt more than ever this week.

Apparently john McCormick set to pull the boots on this sat for Tarra too. I'm unsure about love, just going by what sporting pulse says, he did play last year but not in the best, maybe a heavy tag or an injury!? He has Been named in Saturdays team, but again just going by what's on the internet! Both look to have fielded strong teams

I'm fed up with clubs doing this! (Jon McCormack) what about the bloke that misses out that has trained all year. Busted his gut all year only to get shoved aside. Potentially been at club for years and was planning on being at club for years to come. Are premierships that important that we are prepared to do this? All the problems with player payment stem from this fact. We have elevated premierships so high that it is considered a failure not to win the big prize. What happened to sport being for fun. This has left country football in the area in tatters. It has also put players in power as to how much money they receive off clubs. What was wrong with Tarras season so far. Can't tell me they weren't enjoying themselves. Why does a premiership mean so much? Sport is about enjoying yourself by challenging yourself and your team mates to do the best you can. If you do your best you are a winner already. If you do your best the club is a winner too. No need to bring in eleventh hour ace cards when you 'be already win. Once again think about old mate that will miss out!

Popped over to Tarra to watch the game and it was a bit of a disappointment really. Bright more than held their own at the clearances but butchered the ball once they got it outside and Tarra made them pay big time. Tarra were very clean by foot and hand and Bright were to loose on their opponents giving them far to much space to hit targets going forward. Nothing wrong with Loves shoulders he got plenty of it in heavy traffic and at times was the only one putting pressure on the ball carrier for Bright and Bond was good after half time but the game was gone by then. Moore got his 100 for the year and had 4 by 1/4 time and could have had double figures if he wanted but seemed to lose interest after getting the ton. Eames and Raven had leather poisoning after the game and Bright didn't seem to change anything to do something about it. McDonagh did well in the ruck for such a young fella and is one to watch in the future.

Nonch - am only just catching up on reading the paper from Friday after being away for the past week. What is this racial vilification all about during the KV and Moyhu match last weekend?
\With all that has gone on in the AFL and in the general community, you wouldn't think someone would be silly enough to be saying things out loud anymore. I don't know what was said, but it is disappointing to hear of an investigation being warranted.

Nonch - am only just catching up on reading the paper from Friday after being away for the past week. What is this racial vilification all about during the KV and Moyhu match last weekend?
\With all that has gone on in the AFL and in the general community, you wouldn't think someone would be silly enough to be saying things out loud anymore. I don't know what was said, but it is disappointing to hear of an investigation being warranted.

I can't really comment on it rumble given the sensitive nature of the issue, but I'm sure if you speak to anyone from Moyhu they will be ale to fill you in on the gist of it.

I can't really comment on it rumble given the sensitive nature of the issue, but I'm sure if you speak to anyone from Moyhu they will be ale to fill you in on the gist of it.
No worries Nonch, that is perfectly understandable. I am sure it will be worked out in the wash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back