Pick their next match ups - Joe Silva Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done up a few after this mornings card and come up with some of the same as you boys just posted

Gunnar Nelson vs Rick Story- Just one more for Gunnar to get over before giving him a top 10 opponent, loved his finish but weren't overly enthused with him early
Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier- Just like Gunnar but for Conor this time one more win before a top 5 opponent and Poirier gives him a very stern test to get there
Ian McCall vs John Lineker- Why not. Both just fought and both love a scrap. Lineker hits like a sledgehammer and Uncle Creepy is tough as nails
Makes sense

This isn't original as I read it elsewhere but wouldn't Nelson/LaFlare make a lot of sense? They were meant to fight the other day, that fight made a lot of sense to me then and it still does. I like it a lot more than the Story fight.
Only reason I went that match up is coz I have LaFlare to fight Gastelum next, which would be just as good a matchup

LaFlare would be a very solid next opponent for Gunnar, no question. I'm thinking now with Rory even being mentioned as a possible opponent that he will end up with a bigger name than LaFlare next. Story probably makes the most sense... if Gunnar wins that they can really get his hype train going by saying he beat the first man beat Hendricks (assuming he's still champion).

UFC ON FOX Lawler vs Brown

Lawler - Hendricks. This one sounds as though it's already signed, sealed and delivered. Can't wait for this rematch!

Brown - Alves. His performance yesterday would have improved his stock in the eyes of a lot of people. Took some hellacious shots and kept pushing forward the entire fight. He and Thiago were scheduled to fight what seems like an eternity ago and this seems like a good time to make that fight again.

Johnson - Bader/St Preux winner. Rumble's still a fight or two away from a title shot IMO. The winner of next months Bader/St Preux fight will be on a solid streak and only a couple of fights away from contention themself. I would have loved Gus to be healthy so that Johnson could fight DC next, but with both of them out of the equation this match up was the best I could think of.

Bermudez - Lentz/Oliveira winner. I thought Guida would use his wrestling to grind out a decision win, but Bermudez looked fantastic again yesterday. With most of the top 145ers booked or likely to fight eachother (see Swanson/Edgar), the Lentz/Oliveira winner would provide an interesting challenge either way.

Green - Masvidal. Both guys have looked fantastic since crossing from Strikeforce and both should be in or around the top 10 with yesterday's wins. The winner of this fight would take a serious step up the ladder in the crowded 155 division.

Masvidal - Green. See above.

Cummins - Manuwa. Pat showed some elite takedown skills and decent striking against Kingsbury, but had real trouble keeping him grounded for any length of time. Coming off a loss to Gustafsson, Manuwa should be hungry and would pit Cummins against the most dangerous striker he's faced.

Means - Whitaker. Both guys are in similar spots at 170 and have similar skill sets. Would make a good card opener/end of prelim card fight.

Ortega - Dias. Ortega looked legit in taking out De La Torre. Dias had a lot of hype around him coming in to the UFC, but has faltered in his last two fights (admittedly against very good opponents). A fight between the two would establish which one has the potential to go on and become a contender.

UFC ON FOX Lawler vs Brown

Johnson - Bader/St Preux winner. Rumble's still a fight or two away from a title shot IMO. The winner of next months Bader/St Preux fight will be on a solid streak and only a couple of fights away from contention themself. I would have loved Gus to be healthy so that Johnson could fight DC next, but with both of them out of the equation this match up was the best I could think of.

The only thing is - Both of those guys are under Rumble in the rankings..

Everyone else is either tied up in fights or injured, but i'd love to see Rumble vs Glover. That would be an absolute barn burner.

The only thing is - Both of those guys are under Rumble in the rankings..

Everyone else is either tied up in fights or injured, but i'd love to see Rumble vs Glover. That would be an absolute barn burner.

Only issue is what do you do with Rumble if he loses? What do you do with Glover if he wins? If Glover wins he won't be given a title shot and if Rumble loses then you lose a genuine contender that people would pay to watch fight Jones. I agree that it would be a good fight, but I can see the UFC not wanting to make that match up.

Henderson next for Rumble would be good in an ideal world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only issue is what do you do with Rumble if he loses? What do you do with Glover if he wins? If Glover wins he won't be given a title shot and if Rumble loses then you lose a genuine contender that people would pay to watch fight Jones. I agree that it would be a good fight, but I can see the UFC not wanting to make that match up.

Henderson next for Rumble would be good in an ideal world.
Something that occurred to me today is, the top echelon of LHW's have not only not fought one-another at all, a lot of them fight infrequently in general, injuries withstanding.

Gus fought once last year for the title, once this year in Jimi Manuwa, probably has enough time left for 1 more. But besides Jones - the highest ranked guy he's fought is when he lost to Phil Davis in 2010.
Cormier appears to be the exception, fighting frequently to get his name up to the top of the rankings and quickly into title contention but the highest scalp he's taken was a fading Hendo (albeit in dominating fashion).
Rashad - although fighting 3 times last year, fought nobody of realistic title contention, nor was he convincing of his ranking when he did fight them.
Glover, besides the champ - the best ranked opponent he's fought is Ryan Bader at #8, with the exception of a Rampage with 1 foot out of the UFC door.
Johnson has looked fantastic since his return and it's clear that anyone not top 5 isn't going to trouble him, as you could plainly see in the way he destroyed Phil Davis in all aspects and out-boxed Little Nog in 45 seconds flat. Anybody else would be a lamb let to the slaughter it would appear.

I just think it's about time some of these top 5 or 6 start fighting each other. It hasn't happened for close to 2 years now in the division, and that's not to say it doesn't happen in other divisions, as seen in yesterday's main event.

Add to that, Vera ended up fighting Shogun to be a number 1 contender while Te Huna has also rumoured to be an option. Te Huna then didn't look great and drops to 185 and doesn't look like a top 10 guy and Vera has been cut.

It's like the UFC is keeping these guys from each other so Jones has guys to fight. Jones is cleaning out the division on his own, they don't want the top guys to eliminate themselves.

It's like the UFC is keeping these guys from each other so Jones has guys to fight. Jones is cleaning out the division on his own, they don't want the top guys to eliminate themselves.

Glover would be a great fight next for Johnson, but I can't see it being made due to this reason.

Glover vs Davis has been verbally agreed to at UFC 179.

For me the only match that makes sense right now is Rumble vs Gus.
Gus has stated his injury isn't that bad and won't put him out for too long, so I'd make this a title eliminator

Glover vs Davis has been verbally agreed to at UFC 179.

For me the only match that makes sense right now is Rumble vs Gus.
Gus has stated his injury isn't that bad and won't put him out for too long, so I'd make this a title eliminator

I'd love to see Rumble vs Gus, but the UFC would be worried that they lose the Jones vs Gus II rematch, or losing a Jones vs Rumble fight, which everyone is talking about as the next best new challenger for Jones if he beats DC.

It's a good fight, I hope the UFC make it happen.

Where'd you see that? Just did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Hope you're right as it's a sick fight!
Just type in either of their name in google and it'll pop up.

As for The Gus-Rumble match up i know what you're saying, but I don't think the UFC lose anything here as it'd only be a short hit for the loser

Just type in either of their name in google and it'll pop up.

As for The Gus-Rumble match up i know what you're saying, but I don't think the UFC lose anything here as it'd only be a short hit for the loser

Don't mind me... I read rumble later in your post and had Glover vs Rumble in my head. That would explain why I couldn't find anything on it. :drunk:

UFC Fight Night 47

Bader - Johnson. I've been disappointed in Bader's return to being a boring wrestler in his last 3 fights, but it is getting him wins. Rumble needs to stay busy while waiting for the Jones/DC/Gus scenario to play out and a win over a top 10 guy like Bader would look good on his resume.

Pearson - Johnson. Both Pearson and Johnson have shown great improvement over the last 18 months or so and a win against the other would put them up toward the top of the division.

Boetsch - Leites/Carmont winner. Tim really needed that win and was looking like he wasn't going to get it for a long time. He'll maintain his ranking near the top 10 and it makes sense to match him with another guy of a similar ranking.

Jouban - Waldburger. Jouban looked impressive for the most part against Seth and I'd like to see how he handles himself against a good grappler next. TJ is coming off a loss to Pyle and has had some mixed results in the UFC, but his grappling is top notch and would provide a good test.

Jordan - Paleilei. Jordan finally managed to stand up when faced with adversity in his fight with May, but i don't think that fight gets him much of a step up in terms of opposition. Soa looked disappointing against Rosholt last time out and needs a win to get back on track.

Tavares -Miller. Tavares looked outstanding against Peralta yesterday. The move to 145 looks to have really suited him. Cole had his scheduled fight against McGregor postponed, but should be good to fight again before the end of the year. Two former 155 pounders with dangerous ground games should make for a fun fight.

Formiga -Moraga/Scoggins winner. Jussier has rebounded well after a pair of KO losses in his first 3 fights in the UFC and a win over either Scoggins or Moraga would push him close to a title shot in what has become a division short on contenders.

McMann - Tate/Nikai winner. I honestly thought that Murphy did enough off her back to win that fight, but Sara's wrestling obviously got the job done. She really needs to round out her game before she gets back towards title contention.

Watson - Herman. Watson has potential (having lost two of his three fights by split decision) and looked outstanding against Alvery for 2 and a bit rounds. Herman is coming off a good win, but seems to have stagnated as a fighter. If Watson is good enough to stick around, he'll need to beat guys at that level.

Saenz - Viana. Saenz looked dominant against Ticman after getting caught on the feet a few times early on. Viana is coming off a loss to Sterling but has shown a bit in previous fights and would be a further test of Saenz's ability to hang on the feet in the UFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back