Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should look at 8 or 5 years, because when a side spends that long at the bottom of the ladder, it's going to cause even further problems down the track when that clubs generation of supporters is half of what the successful clubs are.

If they did then Richmond would have had about 8 priority picks for their past few decades.

This period of sustained shitness is through Melbourne's own doing and if we had any sort of competent people in charge during that time then we would be well on our way to climbing back up the ladder sooner than now.

We've got our s**t in order and we've made great improvements within one season.

Im happy to take them both!
petracca_brayshaw_620x370.jpg

If they did then Richmond would have had about 8 priority picks for their past few decades.

This period of sustained shitness is through Melbourne's own doing and if we had any sort of competent people in charge during that time then we would be well on our way to climbing back up the ladder sooner than now.

We've got our s**t in order and we've made great improvements within one season.

I agree we shouldn't get a priority pick - if we didn't last year, then no one should and they should just abolish the damn thing.

When is a club's terrible performance not their own doing? Short of a plane crash wiping out your match day 22, all the problems are the fault of the people running the joint.

Should we send McKenzie, Nicholson, Spencer, Terlich, etc on a flight to Perth via Ukraine and see what the AFL will give us?

They aren't going to look at 8 years or 5 years, they'll just look at the difference between 2013 and 2014 and see just how far we've come in terms of competing and winning.

Under the new system, which will come into effect this year, a more complicated formula will be used, which takes into account premiership points, percentage, finals appearances and injury rates for a club over several seasons.

The new formula will make it more unlikely a club will be granted a priority pick after just one poor season, or that a pick will be given before the first round of a draft.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...pick-system-20120221-1tl48.html#ixzz38kwZXlrc

I'd say the following:

No finals since 2006 (longest streak in the AFL)
Winning an average of 4.5 games per season over 8 years (worst in AFL over that timespan)
Percentage average of 73.72 (worst AFL over such a span; wooden spooners have had a percentage greater than that mark in 2007, 2009 and 2010)

would be a pretty damn good argument.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...pick-system-20120221-1tl48.html#ixzz38kwZXlrc

I'd say the following:

Winning an average of 4.5 games per season over 8 years (worst in AFL over that timespan)
Percentage average of 73.72 (worst AFL over such a span; wooden spooners have had a percentage greater than that mark in 2007, 2009 and 2010)

If we didn't get one last year then we aren't getting one this year, it's that simple.

It also sickens me that people are talking about this while we've still got 5 games left and the improvement that has been made this year.

You have to take into account that for most of that time we were tanking so the statistics aren't a true reflection of where we were at.

You have to take into account that for most of that time we were tanking so the statistics aren't a true reflection of where we were at.
Let's do it again then.

No finals stands.
Winning an average of 4.2 games per year over 5 years (2010 onwards)
Average percentage of 74.86 (up slightly, but still wooden spoon territory)

The argument is there. Sure as hell. I know there's the whole 'the team has doubled its win total' thing. But if we win 4 games again, then for the fifth time in 8 years it'll be 4 wins or less. And three of them have been the last three years. It's a hell of an argument.

If we didn't get one last year then we aren't getting one this year, it's that simple.

It also sickens me that people are talking about this while we've still got 5 games left and the improvement that has been made this year.

We didn't get one last year because of the tanking fiasco and the AFL funded Neeld sacking and Roos appointment.

And why wouldn't we discuss the possibility of a priority pick on a footy forum in a free agency and trading thread??

Note I'm sitting on the fence as to whether or not I actually want to receive one, but I'm certainly interested in the discussion around whether we might get one or not.

Let's do it again then.

No finals stands.

The argument is there. Sure as hell. I know there's the whole 'the team has doubled its win total' thing. But if we win 4 games again, then for the fifth time in 8 years it'll be 4 wins or less. And three of them have been the last three years. It's a hell of an argument.

Another argument would be attendances - the AFL is having to stump up all sorts of funding for us, because we can't pay our own way when we average 10,000 per game. Something that's only going to get worse if we can't turn things around.

Let's do it again then.

No finals stands.

Do people still take my posts seriously?

Do people still take my posts seriously?
Apparently.

Look, I get really amped up about this. At a similar point last year, we were the worst side to grace the AFL bar none. Including Carlton, including Fitzroy. Over a consistent period, this Melbourne side is one of the worst in sports. Even Richmond, for all their failings, were better during the 2004-2013 gap than Melbourne have been.

I'm sick of ******* losing. We finally have a team which could actually do something with a PP and now we're not going to ******* get one because of the media pointing fingers over a game we lost with a kick after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sick of ******* losing. We finally have a team which could actually do something with a PP and now we're not going to ******* get one because of the media pointing fingers over a game we lost with a kick after the siren.

Fair enough. Despite all that, we're not going to get a pick. The tanking debacle, real or not, should have no bearing on the decision this year, last year, next year and so on. Last year we were abominable and genuinely a shame on the competition. This year, we're much improved despite still not being much chop. If we didn't get one last year, how can the AFL justify giving us a pick this year? They scrapped the priority pick system on the basis of wins so they could dish them out at their own discretion and I'd be surprised if they decided to stump up this year. As Dez says, we're still a chance to win 5 or 6 games this season, which would be steady progress.

I almost wouldn't want us to take Durdin purely because in the off-chance that he flops and people start calling him "Dud-din". I don't think I could handle that stupidity.

Spud-din
Durd-out
HurrDurdin

Striker475 said:
Look, I get really amped up about this. At a similar point last year, we were the worst side to grace the AFL bar none. Including Carlton, including Fitzroy. Over a consistent period, this Melbourne side is one of the worst in sports. Even Richmond, for all their failings, were better during the 2004-2013 gap than Melbourne have been.

I have to agree with you the rule is a priority pick is awarded to teams that consistently preform poor, Melbourne as far as i can see falls under that category whats the point of having the rule there if it's not going to get used. We may see a massive improvement but where still just double the wins from last year with a better percentage, thats still poor. I'm sick of other clubs complaining we don't deserve it like last year, if you don't like the rule then there is no point having it there at all!

there is no point having it there at all!

This is where it's at. At least when it was a priority pick on the basis of wins for the season and the previous season, it was clearly defined. Now it's not, and won't be applied consistently because people are fickle. Bin the rule, we all move on.

Cannon82 said:
This is where it's at. At least when it was a priority pick on the basis of wins for the season and the previous season, it was clearly defined. Now it's not, and won't be applied consistently because people are fickle. Bin the rule, we all move on.
Agreed, i would much rather have no rule than to have one in place being ignored.

I'd say the following:

I know it's your board, and no disrespect - but you brought a lot of that on yourself. It's going to hard to generate any sympathy from the AFL and other clubs when it comes to a priority pick. If Frawley goes you don't seriously believe you are entitled to 3 picks in the top 10?

See this is where I feel you are missing the point it's not a "rule" its a discretionary allowance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back