C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

The only possible threat would be England, looking to avenge their World Cup semi final beating. But still, they'd have to catch us on a bad day to beat us, I don't think they are good enough.

IPL was overdue, it's the national sport next to cricket. We'll never be able to provide the market over here to accommodate a national competition with a decent wage structure. But the local Victorian comp has a few clubs who will pay a decent enough player.

Europe is pro, sensational competition (EHL) which gets huge coverage over there. I'm actually headed over to Holland this summer to play :) which I'm very much looking forward to.

They recently cut the AIS funding, VIS funding for the sport too.

Pretty much.

Not surprised with the funding cut...after all, they pay olympic sports according to medals, and hockey can only win 1 per gender.

The only possible threat would be England, looking to avenge their World Cup semi final beating. But still, they'd have to catch us on a bad day to beat us, I don't think they are good enough.

Aus, England & NZ will almost certainly get the medals, although who gets which one is the only question (that order seems likely though).

Barring a major upset, there will only be 3 'big' matches in each tournament.
NZ V Eng in the pool match
Aus V the loser of that pool match in a semi.
The winner of that semi Vs the winner of the pool match in the gold medal match.

Australia's swimmers still lose so much time underwater. I see they haven't fixed that since London 2012.

That's really annoying me and also that the relay changeovers are extremely conservative. It doesn't matter so much at the CG, but they'll get their arses handed to them on a plate at the Panpacs. I have no idea what the coaches think they are there for as all this was obvious at the Olympics. It was embarrassing watching the yank swimmers underwater skills compared to the Aussies.

Last edited:
Retiring, probably take up politics or a spot at your local GP. Although I'm sure he'd be more than welcome at the Aussie cricket team. He did play for WA at one point.

I doubt the egos of the Aus cricket team would appreciate his style.

At 62, I dare say he's retiring.

I think you'd find Ric's ego would fit right in. He's not as well liked as his results may suggest.

That's kind of my point...As a coach who is supposedly a very hard taskmaster, I doubt the players would like him at all. People like his results, but those who have to endure his methods...not so much.

He's already done the Parliament thing as well. Can't see him just sitting round doing nothing though, I expect we will see some more books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ten are spending too much time on James Magnussen. I just dont think he is going to capture the nation like they are hoping.

Q
Mel is gorgeous, but she is s**t as a host.

I have been a big fan of the work she did on Fox Sports News - Fox Sports especially their soccer programs over many years - hosting and interviewing, she knows her stuff as she has played the game, and her work on the Big Bash lasr summer - but she has been disapointing host at these Games. She either hasnt done her homework, is over hyping things and she appears to be trying to find "got ya" moments with her interviews. They just arent flowing.

Working with Thorpey probably doesnt help. The guy lacks personality for TV hosting- talks in cliches. He is a bit like Cathy Freeman - good at explaining the technical aspect of their event and sport but not great at ad libing and speaking off the cuff.

There is no chemistry between them at all.
It doesn't help that she comes off like she's got mild aspergers. Listening to her try to make small talk with guests is awkward as hell.

EDIT: Jesus, now they've got Rocky Dennis on there stumbling through the segment.

I think maybe he is gay or something.

381190-mcguire.jpg

How many ads do they want to put on Ten Play. Gave up on one of the feeds after about 5 minutes of non-stop ads!
Really? I've barely got any ads at all. Two ads when you first load the channel but then non-stop sport, and if there's nothing going on there will just be a long shot of the stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back