Opinion Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

all of these comments about Colin's personality seem weird IMO
how many of us actually know the bloke.
sure he made some mistakes earlier in his life (I'm not sure about their nature to be honest), but I for one don't want him in the team until he puts in "great effort"
what I saw last Saturday from him was deplorable.
as for his personality, I saw him at Etihad earlier this year, either at the Pies game or Dogs scratchy, & he was deep in conversation with a female fan. The lady wasn't a "hotty" by any stretch of the imagination, so he wasn't putting the moves on, he was giving the time of day to a fan, or spending time with someone he knew, & the interaction appeared genuine and warm. He even gave her a hug afterwards.
maybe I've completely misread it, but I reckon we focus on his footy output

Taking a cue from the rival Port Adelaide Power and that club's uncanny ability to resurrect a certain 26-year-old INXS classic (which, by the way, was a HUGE hit on these shores) and the lyrical stylings of Jedi Mind Tricks, I've written this little ode to Colin Sylvia, set to the tune of "Never Tear Us Apart." Hopefully it captures all our feelings, as in my short time here, I've never seen opinions be so sharp and divided over the presence of one player. Hopefully, however Col Sylvia's career goes at Freo, it'll never tear us apart. I now humbly submit, "Ever Get Much of the Ball." Enjoy!

Ahem...

"Ever Get Much of the Ball"

Don't ask us
What we know is true
Signed an ex-Demon
We thought would light a spark

We
We’ve been watching
He’s been there
But barely sighted
Will he ever get much of the ball?

We have watched
For six whole games
And we’ve been hopin’
He'd make us shower him with cheers

But one goal
And scant touches…
Drive the posters mad
And some of us are on fire

We
We keep posting
Some will feud
We still love Freo
But will he ever -- ever get much of the ball?

Last edited:

Taking a cue from the rival Port Adelaide Power and that club's uncanny ability to resurrect a certain 26-year-old INXS classic (which, by the way, was a HUGE hit on these shores) and the lyrical stylings of Jedi Mind Tricks, I've written this little ode to Colin Sylvia, set to the tune of "Never Tear Us Apart." Hopefully it captures all our feelings, as in my short time here, I've never seen opinions be so sharp and divided over the presence of one player. Hopefully, however Col Sylvia's career goes at Freo, it'll never tear us apart. I now humbly submit, "Ever Get Much of the Ball." Enjoy!

Ahem...

"Ever Get Much of the Ball"

Don't ask us
What we know is true
Signed an ex-Demon
We thought would light a spark

We
We’ve been watching
He’s been there
But barely sighted
Will he ever get much of the ball?

We have watched
For six whole games
And we’ve been hopin’
He'd make us shower him with cheers

But one goal
And scant touches…
Drive the posters mad
And some of us are on fire

We
We keep posting
Some will feud
We still love Freo
But will he ever -- ever get much of the ball?
Ahaha that is beautiful! Can you record us a version of you singing it????

Ahaha that is beautiful! Can you record us a version of you singing it????

LOL! My singing voice is so bad it would probably wake Michael Hutchence from the grave! I'd have to down several beers, then sing a Karaoke version. That's about the only way I'd do it! :drunk:

sure he made some mistakes earlier in his life (I'm not sure about their nature to be honest), but I for one don't want him in the team until he puts in "great effort"
what I saw last Saturday from him was deplorable.
as for his personality, I saw him at Etihad earlier this year, either at the Pies game or Dogs scratchy, & he was deep in conversation with a female fan. The lady wasn't a "hotty" by any stretch of the imagination, so he wasn't putting the moves on, he was giving the time of day to a fan, or spending time with someone he knew, & the interaction appeared genuine and warm. He even gave her a hug afterwards.
maybe I've completely misread it, but I reckon we focus on his footy output
Met him once and he was a nice guy who came across as a tradie sort, laid back sense of humor etc. A mate of his mates though mentioned that he likes the tins and isn't the sharpest tool. I think it's his on field demeanor that incites so many fans, as he seems like an average kind of guy.

Not me. I wouldn't presume to think I know a bloke from watching him run around on a footy field and from reading a few news articles.

I don't have any particular opinion on Col's personality. No data. The "sh!t bloke" comment was my estimation of what SA would say, rather than something I personally think.

I reckon we focus on his footy output

Would agree. Though I expect when his output picks up the tabloid-style judgment posts will take more of a back seat.

Have heard through the grapevine that Col has pretty much had his last game for the season after having failed to impress the match committee over the last month...hardly ground breaking stuff ! I have tried to defend him and thought he was going to be a good acquision to our team...........but so far he has been pretty bloody ordinary,seems very slow and his forward pressure is average,decision making questionable.
Hopefully gets in a good pre season and turns things around

Have heard through the grapevine that Col has pretty much had his last game for the season after having failed to impress the match committee over the last month...hardly ground breaking stuff ! I have tried to defend him and thought he was going to be a good acquision to our team...........but so far he has been pretty bloody ordinary,seems very slow and his forward pressure is average,decision making questionable.

i am sensing bricks are going to be thrown around now

i am sensing bricks are going to be thrown around now
Was anybody else keeping a close eye on the club's recent online auction?

Bricking_zps59ff3659.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Met him once and he was a nice guy who came across as a tradie sort, laid back sense of humor etc. A mate of his mates though mentioned that he likes the tins and isn't the sharpest tool. I think it's his on field demeanor that incites so many fans, as he seems like an average kind of guy.

I'd say the majority of professional football players I've met have the 'tradie' edge to their personality except for Pav.

And I don't think any comparisons to every clever person I've met would round up how I feel about that one.

Needs a full preaseason methinks, this year ain't going to work though

A real test of character is coming up for Colin this week when he is dropped. If he goes back to Peel and performs his role like an experienced player should he could finally be on his way, but if he gets bugger all possessions then I reckon we have a 3 year problem. The kids such as Crozier and Sheridan have gone back and performed, surely we can expect the same of Col.

A real test of character is coming up for Colin this week when he is dropped. If he goes back to Peel and performs his role like an experienced player should he could finally be on his way, but if he gets bugger all possessions then I reckon we have a 3 year problem. The kids such as Crozier and Sheridan have gone back and performed, surely we can expect the same of Col.

Assuming he's dropped, you're right there.

It's going to be really tough because he'll surely know that the odds of him getting back into the team this season, even if he lights it up at Peel, is almost non existent. We're getting to the pointy end of the season and the match committee aren't going to be mucking around too much now - especially when Walters comes up to speed and DeBoer over his issues.

Having said that, I sill wouldn't call it all over if he finishes the season poorly, I reckon the real indicator is how he goes in the off-season. If he puts in and comes out at absolute peek fitness next season, then there will be some hope there form mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back