Sando 'on the couch' tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

What did heals say about the 4 talls?
It was about fiddling around with handball, not going forward quickly with the confidence a team should be with all those four targets up there. Also about whether we should have subbed off one of the talls instead of Wright.

From the interview, I reckon Sando isn't fully happy with our tall forward structure.

Also there is no way Danger or Sloane will be stand alone captains next season. Sando talked about how big the role is at Adelaide, code for we'll either keep it shared or go back to VB who can handle the off field while those guys keep us ticking on the field.

It was about fiddling around with handball, not going forward quickly with the confidence a team should be with all those four targets up there. Also about whether we should have subbed off one of the talls instead of Wright.

From the interview, I reckon Sando isn't fully happy with our tall forward structure.

Also there is no way Danger or Sloane will be stand alone captains next season. Sando talked about how big the role is at Adelaide, code for we'll either keep it shared or go back to VB who can handle the off field while those guys keep us ticking on the field.

Was a topic of discussion for us when watching the game.

I stupidly made the call that it should have been Tex subbed off for Grigg and then Tex turns around and ends up being one of the catalysts in the last quarter for our win :oops:

Was a topic of discussion for us when watching the game.

I stupidly made the call that it should have been Tex subbed off for Grigg and then Tex turns around and ends up being one of the catalysts in the last quarter for our win :oops:

We should never ever sub Tex or someone of his calibre who can turn games. I thought Lynch should have been subbed. Jenkins was horrendous but he's too important to our team structure as a second ruck.

No, he was talking about his success in general. To be overlooked in 10 drafts, then play in a flag after debuting at 28, and finally getting to 100 games, it is a great story. Surely no one disagrees with that? Mentioned that Pods was quite emotional after the win yesterday. I've followed Pods closely since his debut at Geelong, and he is just one of those blokes all players love to play with.

Also, he said Smith and Talia would have to be locks for the AA defense, I was surprised he didn't bring up Sauce later on.

Why, did he have one of those off Tippett pies?
(they do it to me every time).

Yay, Reilly out of favour.

Our youngest team on the weekend, we need to have patience as they are still learning. Plenty of upside with the Walkers, the Sloans, the Smiths, the Dangerfields all under 25.
did he say this?

Douglas recently mentioned that he still considers VB as Captain.

“He’s still the captain of the club in my eyes and he’s done some great mentoring role with our young guys off the field and in the state league side.
No whether that's just Dougies opinion, or something that's shared amongs the coaching staff and playing group I have no idea.

Sorry but I've ran out. We need to fast track results. We need to make the 8 this year and then to finish top 4 next year. Anything less is a disappointment.

I think that is very achievable.

According to some on here we need to bottom out for draft picks other wise we will continue to be ordinary!!!! I agree with you and I think there should be no excuses either.

just on the sub on the weekend

grigg actually took the vest off midway through the 3rd quarter. it was straight after the HTB on matty wright, who went to the bench. griggy had the vest off for a good few minutes before putting it back on

i thought that wasn't allowed, but i'm probably wrong

VB

Nah, Healy made the comment.

Sando sort of acknowledged it without explicitly agreeing, said something positive about the attitude of Truck and Reilly going back to the seconds and just when I was really happy with his response...then he went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid like "they'll both come back into the team this year".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best interview Sando has done that I can remember. It was interesting that he actually acknowledged Dangerfield's playing style being an issue of concern. Claimed that they are trying to get him to get some more uncontested ball, use his pace, reduce the impact on his body. Not working yet, but at least we aren't short-sightedly allowing himself to pummel himself into an early retirement. Over to you Campo.

Cool. But he's been saying this for nearly 3 years now and if anything, it's got worse.

It's easy to not notice because these things happen over time, but Danger is almost unrecognisable to the player he was in 2012. Nowhere near as explosive.

Hopefully it's just as a result of carrying injuries which can be overcome, and not wear and tear that will continue to take its toll over time.

If Campo cant teach Danger how to get uncontested ball no one can.

There was a guy called Scott Bamford who played for Fitzroy (I think) and then North Adelaide, who weighed about 3kg. Very highly skilled.

For him, it was outside ball or SOMEBODY CALL AN AMBULANCE.

We should get in touch with him.

I can't remember him saying it once. Always just says he's a contested ball winning animal
Of course it's entirely possible that he never said it but it got repeated so often on here that I just attributed it to Sando.

The club has been saying it since pre-Sando days.

2012 was the year it seemed to rectify itself but it has gone slightly backwards since then.

Danger reminds me of Mark Ricciuto with an unfortunate twist of Brett Burton-itis.

Anybody know the antidote?

Sorry but I've ran out. We need to fast track results. We need to make the 8 this year and then to finish top 4 next year. Anything less is a disappointment.

I think that is very achievable.
I think the patience he is referring to is that we need to keep playing these guys even if they do have a bad game or two, not "be prepared to wallow in 7th-10th spot for the next 3 years.

to me Sando means lets not go back to our Reilly's and Porplyzia's anymore, lets back our Jaensch, Martin and Hendo types. Well, I can dream that he might mean that at least.

The club has been saying it since pre-Sando days.

2012 was the year it seemed to rectify itself but it has gone slightly backwards since then.

Danger reminds me of Mark Ricciuto with an unfortunate twist of Brett Burton-itis.

Anybody know the antidote?
I think he needs to take a step back a bit and just go about his business more instinctively. To me he feels the heat too much and probably feels like he's the one who needs to be winning the game off his own boot every time the chips are down.

Look at McLeod, he won games off his own boot all the time, but he was never self-aware about it all. He played footy in a zen-like state and you could tell he always had a clear head, especially in the big games. He didn't win two Norm-Smiths for breaking out of packs and kicking goals from 60m out on the run, he won two Norm-Smiths for playing the two biggest games of his career like he was still up in Darwin. Which obviously isn't to say he didn't appreciate the big stage, far from it, but he was at ease with his abilities as a player and wasn't over-awed by the occasion.

EDIT: for the magic-bullet antidote however I'm not sure, I'd have to call Blighty.

Last edited:
According to some on here we need to bottom out for draft picks other wise we will continue to be ordinary!!!! I agree with you and I think there should be no excuses either.

You SS'ers seem to have comprehension problems.

I and many others have made the point that finishing 8th and pumping games into Rutten, Porplyzia and Reilly will do less for our development towards another flag compared to missing the eight and giving more games to Grigg, Matty Crouch, Cameron etc. It's not about the draft picks FFS.

My other point was that we are probably more likely to make the eight if we don't play Rutten, Porplyzia and Reilly or an injured Thommo. I can't recall many/any posters suggesting we should drop Thommo this year and only a handful have called for JPod to be dropped. Sando and people like yourself seem obsessed with how young our team was on the weekend. Sando felt it was necessary to mention this in the press conference and also went on about this at the after match. He failed to recognise that the Collingwood team was younger than us, there were only 10 teams older than us in round 18 (we were "average") and we have in fact had a younger team on several occasions this year.

Thommo will come in this week, probably for Wrighty although if we are serious about winning a final we should rest Danger. If Truck, Reilly or Porps come into the team it is not the end of the world but it is plain dumb. If Luke Thompson struggles in the next couple of matches and Truck is playing well then bring him back for the final(s) but giving Luke Thompson 2 games in 2 years is ridiculous, either give him 3 or 4 games in a row or just don't play him.

I think the thing with Dangerfield is that he's not actually a particularly good "footballer". He's an absolute freak athlete and he uses that to dominate games, and of course he's hypercompetitive so he is able to step up a notch when required, but in terms of natural footballing skills and instincts, he's average at best. Which means that he's often going to go in for the ball at the wrong time, when he should be waiting out. He's going to choose the wrong option by foot, or spray it off the side of the boot.

That doesn't mean he's not an exceptional player - his combination of athletic traits are damn near unique in the history of AFL football. But he's not a Ricciuto. Ricciuto was an awesome footballer who just happened to be as strong as an ox and fairly pacey as well. Dangerfield is an athletic and competitive freak who is a decent footballer as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back