Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Metallica List.JPG
Book.JPG

Stumbled across this book a while back. Full of metal lists.

Some interesting insights from Flemming Rasmussen himself...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
Best 5 Albums - BLK>RTL>KEA>MOP>>>>>AJFA

Top 10 Tracks (No Order) -

Creeping Death
Seek & Destroy
Enter Sandman
No Remorse
Wherever I may roam
Jump in the Fire
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets
Through the Never
Disposable Heroes

I guess I'd swap Justice with the Black album for a top 4 comparison. I can't recall the last time I enjoyed listening to Justice...empty production with that incessant snare drum. Actually the Black Album shits all over it!!

Oct 7, 2010
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best 5 Albums - BLK>RTL>KEA>MOP>>>>>AJFA

Top 10 Tracks (No Order) -

Creeping Death
Seek & Destroy
Enter Sandman
No Remorse
Wherever I may roam
Jump in the Fire
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets
Through the Never
Disposable Heroes

I guess I'd swap Justice with the Black album for a top 4 comparison. I can't recall the last time I enjoyed listening to Justice...empty production with that incessant snare drum. Actually the Black Album shits all over it!!

No.

No order:
Creeping Death
Fade to black
Orion
One
Seek & Destroy
The Four Horsemen
To Live Is To Die
Battery
Master Of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

I cannot remember the last time I listened to the black album.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally , I think the Black album is a pretty solid metal album, but I find it a bit boring and can't listen to it all the way through. Too much stadium filler.

Fav song for me would be "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the rest as follows:
  • Seek & Destroy
  • Phantom Lord
  • Fade to Black
  • Creeping Death (best Metallica riff of all time)
  • Master of Puppets
  • Disposable Heroes
  • Leper Messiah
  • Dyers Eve
  • ...And Justice for All
Best covers:
  • Am I Evil
  • Mercyful fate
  • Last Caress/Green Hill
  • Breadfan

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
Any particular highlights Ed??

Ghost Brigade, Suffocation, Amorphis (don't really listen to them, but the twice i've seen them they've been excellent) and Nocturnal Depression were all very good especially Nocturnal Depression, they're fantastic live and really caught me by surprise.

Moonsorrow had a great set, but the sound was s**t. There were no vocals for the first 2 verses of Kuolleiden Maa. It sucked especially because it's probably one of my most favouritest songs ever written.

Bands i missed for various reasons that i wanted to check out were Inquisition, Satyricon, Immolation and In Solitude.

Other bands i seen that were pretty good were Alcest, Forgotten Tomb, Prong and My Dying Bride even though i don't really care much for the latter 2.

There were a couple of s**t local bands, one of them i couldn't stand to stay around longer than 1 song for. They weren't on the initial lineup and i think they must have been a late inclusion or something, i forget their name. Villainy i think. Some other bands on the smaller stage were good, but probably not enough to eventually check out after the festival was over.

Volbeat apparently walked off stage after 5 songs for whatever reason. The singer was crook?

Festival itself is in a pretty good location and right next to a national park which takes a good 6 or 7 hours to explore a particular tourist section of. There will be a day or 2 where you have no bands you want to see up until 6-7pm so there would be opportunities to do it. Located next to 2 rivers - and with the weather usually quite warm, are a godsend to cool off in even if the water feels like it is below 0, if you get to the camp grounds early enough you can set up a tent in the forest area, which we just missed out on. Only real bad thing i have to say about the festival is the payment system. Some stalls accepted cash only whilst others accepted this Metaldays paycard only, it's just an annoyance having to handle the 2, it's got to be one or the other for me. And maybe that the food, beer prices etc all doubled in price from last years festival to match most of the other festivals around Europe (well, apparently 25% of the 12,000 tickets sold were to Germans). Significant difference between buying on festival grounds and spending an extra 5-10 minutes walking into the town of Tolmin to buy food. Were told we weren't allowed to take food onto festival grounds from outside, but security were so laid back they didn't care. You could openly smoke a bit of weed in front of them, but i'd be surprised if anything less than 75% of the people there were smoking it though. lol. Sorry for the blag.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Personally , I think the Black album is a pretty solid metal album, but I find it a bit boring and can't listen to it all the way through. Too much stadium filler.

Fav song for me would be "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the rest as follows:
  • Seek & Destroy
  • Phantom Lord
  • Fade to Black
  • Creeping Death (best Metallica riff of all time)
  • Master of Puppets
  • Disposable Heroes
  • Leper Messiah
  • Dyers Eve
  • ...And Justice for All
Best covers:
  • Am I Evil
  • Mercyful fate
  • Last Caress/Green Hill
  • Breadfan

Top 10 for me:

Phantom Lord
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
The Call Of Ktulu
Orion
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Master of Puppets
Harvester Of Sorrow
Wherever I May Roam

As for albums, Puppets>Ride>KEA>Justice>Black>daylight>the rest. I have more songs from Ride than Puppets in my top 10 but same as HugeJohnson above, Escape is a massive weak link for me.

Love the cover angle too, I've loved Am I Evil since I first heard it live as a 12yo on the Cliff 'Em All video, I'm also a big fan of Stone Cold Crazy and Blitzkrieg.

Have you heard the original Breadfan by Budgie? No doubt influenced by the late 60s production methods, but it is really raw but really enjoyable.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Slightly connected but sightly off-topic here but anyone a fan of the Exodus song Impaler? 2nd part of this song pretty much became Trapped Under Ice from Ride the Lightining. Sounds awesome of the "Another lesson in Violence" disc.

I knew Gary Holt wrote the "Die by my hand" part from Creeping Death for a very early Exodus song which was never recorded (and Metallia changed the lyrics and used it themselves) but I never really knew about Impaler until maybe earlier this year.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
strange, i had been thinking lately that it isn't so much the songwriting (not that it's great mind you.. even on magnetic they still sound like they are stuck trying to write the 7 minute epics of yesteryear but now with their bottomless grab-bag of predictable rock riffs) that is 'holding metallica back', it's hetfield's vocals and their terrible lyrics. i think they would be much more listenable if james dropped the crooning bullshit and just barked it out ala RTL. it's like both his balls have been lopped off post black album, seriously an embarrassing listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back