Boycott Port Power Sponsor "White Marquee Event Hire"-

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh my god shut up. I absolutely hate when things like this come up on these forums because it ends up being yet another excuse for someone to complain about the evils of 'political correctness' - you know, that same HORRIBLE mechanism that stops persecuted people from being blatantly belittled and discriminated against by wider society like they historically very clearly have been throughout our nation's history. Yeah, screw trying to hold society to higher standards. In the words of Stewart Lee, "if there is some fallout from this, which means that someone in an office might get in trouble one day for saying something that someone was a bit unsure about because they couldn't decide whether it was sexist or homophobic or racist, it's a small price to pay for the massive benefits and improvements in the quality of life for millions of people that political correctness has made".

"******" is deliberately being used as a pejorative. Just because he POSSIBLY is just using that word as some kind of all-purpose insult and isn't necessarily trying to suggest that every crows support is a homosexual does not remove the anti-gay stigma attached to it. There is a long history of that word being used to belittle homosexual people. It isn't okay just because someone fails to take the 0.5 of a second required to remember that words mean things.

I agree with you in principle, but I think this was a stupid comment, not a homophobic, inciteful attack. There has to be some distinction between hateful/malicious use of a word, and the stupid/casual use of it. That isn't defending the casual use of it - but they aren't the same.

I don't find a suggestion that someone's livelihood should be destroyed due to a stupid remark, agreeable.

C'mon guys really? No supporter would agree with those comments.
Anyways if you feel like having a crack at PAFC about a stupid comment by an individual go for it, don't lump me or most others in there.

Sadly this is not just a stupid comment by an individual - this person is a major sponsor of your club, a 'Premier Partner'. All class.:rolleyes:

Protected free speech does not include your right to be a bigot.

Look, I'm not suggesting this guy should be arrested. But the is NO difference between racial slurs and this word. N***** is a word that will forever be associated with violence. Hundreds of gay men have been beaten and killed through our history, and f***** is the ugliest word used to surround that act.

Free speech doesn't mean you are free to oppress others.
This. Free speech means you're not going to be thrown in prison for expressing an opinion. It is not a licence to say whatever you want and nobody is allowed to tell you why it's stupid.

The intent in this comment is clear. He wanted to insult someone using a term that implies being gay.

Can you imagine the outrage if it was the other way around, how many pages of print got wasted when Smart simply said he doesn't care about Port supporters opinion?
Matt Rendell suggested a a worst-case scenario if many aboriginal recruits continued to find it hard to adjust. He was a bit clumsy, but his intent was to help....and the AFC were literally Hitler.

That's it, fight for your right to use pejorative language that has been part of systematic bigotry against a minority group and is of no benefit to anybody. You're a regular Che Guevara!

I am pretty certain you have zero understanding of the actually damaging limits being placed on free speech, because political correctness is not one of them. But hey, I'm really sorry that it's not acceptable to say '******' anymore. Grrr I'm such an authoritarian, ruining your life and controlling your free will by telling you that you should not use a word that offends a disadvantaged group.
Its my god given right to carry an M16 to work. Hasn't that worked out well.

Silly use of an old school insult. Should have known better. But really, is this news?.

The people jumping up and down hysterically, dont you realise you only give any power to such a slight when you acknowledge it's affect on you? Ginger's now own the slang around their hair colour, Black people now own the slang around their skin colour, and Greeks and Italians made a lot of coin out of accepting the slang around their heritage. Embrace and disempower.

I think you'll find gays could give less of a s**t about the word f....t.

i have a few gay mates and family members who would be very offended by the word.

Matt Rendell suggested a a worst-case scenario if many aboriginal recruits continued to find it hard to adjust. He was a bit clumsy, but his intent was to help....and the AFC were literally Hitler.
I literally think you don't know what literally means.

Anyway, it was a stupid thing to post but really, it's not like our supporter base is free of idiots either. Is it right to call Essendon "The Bummers"? Could a play on words and acronyms resulting in the derogatory use of a medical test that assists in the detection of cervical cancer be considered offensive? Double standards applying to a few people on here I think.

I do recall seeing photoshops of Matt in Nazi garb.

I will now spend my day at work looking for appropriate scenes from the Sydney Mardi Gras to stick his head on.

Funny thread. Some massive hypocrites commenting too. Should we link the thread on the first Showdown loss, or in fact any loss from any team in any game from any board on bigfooty? I mean seriously, I am outraged.

Are sponsors posting on BF though?

I suppose you're one of those people who supported Adam Goodes pointing out a child - mid match - who called him a name that could be construed as racist, that he heard over the din of a massive crowd. You'd also, by association, have supported that child being held without parental support for 4 hours under police guard. Of course, you'd also support the fact that Goodes, having exposed the girl's obvious bigotry, saw fit to never once offer to assist the girl, or embrace her in his ongoing campaign against racism. For the record, his actions disgusted me so much more than the ignorance of the girl in using that word.

There's a huge difference in that one is a 10 year old girl who probably doesn't even understand the definition of racism and the other a business owner who CLEARLY knew what he was saying. Such a stupid comparison.

You are a pathetic, small minded individual if you allow a six letter word to get under your skin so much. Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet you're not gay, which means you have no idea what those supposedly targeted by the use of this word, actually feel about it. Im confident there, because the many gay people I know call each other ******s and queers all the time.

So what? Black people call either other n***gas all the time, does that give you right to say it? No. You have no idea what offends someone and what doesn't, so why make the insults in the first place? F****ot is a derogatory term, surely even you can see that.

Ps. Love the "gays don't even mind the word" argument. Let me guess, all the gay people you know have no issue with the word?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are sponsors posting on BF though?

Probably. It was his Facebook page and he lost his s**t after a bad loss to his clubs main rivals. As I said read any clubs bigfooty pages or in fact any social media after a loss, it is full of bile. Unfortunate use of words, in this day and age you really can't get away with saying those sort of things, but hand on heart who hasn't used these words in a derogatory way at any time in their lives?? I know I have. Apologise and move on. Lets not get hysterical.

Probably. It was his Facebook page and he lost his s**t after a bad loss to his clubs main rivals. As I said read any clubs bigfooty pages or in fact any social media after a loss, it is full of bile. Unfortunate use of words, in this day and age you really can't get away with saying those sort of things, but hand on heart who hasn't used these words in a derogatory way at any time in their lives?? I know I have. Apologise and move on. Lets not get hysterical.
Yeah nah. ****head is ****head.

Stunning career move:D:thumbsu:

I literally think you don't know what literally means.

Well for starters, I was relaying the opinions of Port supporters regarding the Rendell saga i.e. I wasn't saying that the AFC were literally Hitler, I was saying that when that happened people were saying we were literally Hitler...

Secondly, even if I had used it in the context you are implying, it is a perfectly correct use of the word.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

INFORMAL Used for emphasis while not being literally true

I sort of agree with you but if you are a major sponsor of a club you have added responsibilities that the "regular" supporter doesn't.

Seems a very immature thing for a business man to post.

I sort of agree with you but if you are a major sponsor of a club you have added responsibilities that the "regular" supporter doesn't.

Seems a very immature thing for a business man to post.

Indeed, it's a bad look and no doubt he would be highly embarrassed by it, but not really a hanging offence is it? Or one deserving of front page (I'm only going by the online version) news?

Last edited:
Indeed, it's a bad look and know doubt he would be highly embarrassed by it, but not really a hanging offence is it? Or one deserving of front page (I'm only going by the online version) news?
I assume you were making the same sorts of responses to KKKrows posts from your Port buddies, right?

I had (wrongly) assumed this was made after our win this weekend. As it was after our Showdown victory, I can see clearly there was more in the timing of the post.

My issue, now, is why should this be reported one month after the incident? The paper could've easily just left it alone, and 99.9% of the AFC fanbase would've had no idea about it.

Inflammatory News Limited.

And I'm not excusing the language. He was warned by PAFC, and hopefully he's learnt from it.

Well for starters, I was relaying the opinions of Port supporters regarding the Rendell saga i.e. I wasn't saying that the AFC were literally Hitler, I was saying that when that happened people were saying we were literally Hitler...

Secondly, even if I had used it in the context you are implying, it is a perfectly correct use of the word.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

INFORMAL Used for emphasis while not being literally true
Fair 'nuff

And African Anericans use the word n*****. It is about reclaiming the language that has been used against you.

Go walk up to Eric Wallace and use that word.

If you can't have the smallest amount of respect for the fact that slurs based on race, sexuality and gender are ugly and based on historical prejudice, then I think that's the definition of ignorant.
I dont disagree, but the hystrionics displayed by a few of you do nothing to disempower the ignorant. It's self serving rubbish actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back