Past Matthew Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

What some thick-heads fail to understand and address is that not all players on your list will be getting regular games.

Mitch Brown has been on the Geelong list for 6 years and has played 13 games............13 games.
Why would Geelong retain him? What do they see that others can't?
They must be crazy when they could have traded or de-listed him many times over.

I don't know what the future holds for Watson but for now he's bought into what Mick has laid out for him.....in a similar way to Rowe and White.
He makes sense when playing in the VFL and has a demeanour I thought not possible. He's tough on his team-mates yet also encouraging of them.

He doesn't sulk when thrown forward (as a recently departed player did) and is all about team.
That may ultimately not be enough in the end for the CFC but Watson is playing team-first football and if everyone on the list did the same, we'd be a better team right now.
It seems to this "thickhead" it is one thing for a successful club (like Geelong) to be incubating KPPs who are not considered ready for senior football but are hoped to develop into useful KPPs in the future. Such clubs can not only afford to do it (because they are having on field success), because of the salary cap they cannot afford NOT to do it. Secondly, in respect of Mitch Brown, he has suffered very significant injuries for several of those years. Thirdly, if the Geelong BF site is anything to go by Mitch Brown will not be playing many more games for Geelong this year and will be on his bike.

That said, even lowly clubs like us need to incubate KPPs and ruckmen since so many are not born but developed. Tom Lonergan is a good example of a slow-developing but now very important KPD. Of course there are plenty more Austins, Harletts, Bowers and (to pick on another list) Sellars than there are Lonergans.

But my concern re Watson isn't that he is not getting senior games. Rather my concern is that (subject to revision upon provision of Cringle's "facts") he has not even been vaguelly competitive at senior level in the 2 games he has played. Presumably MM would not have promptly dropped him after each game he has played if MM had thought he had shown "something". It is usual to give young players more than 1 game at the senior level to help them adjust to the change of pace etc.

KPP players born 1992/93 who have gone past Watson

It seems to this "thickhead" it is one thing for a successful club (like Geelong) to be incubating KPPs who are not considered ready for senior football but are hoped to develop into useful KPPs in the future. Such clubs can not only afford to do it (because they are having on field success), because of the salary cap they cannot afford NOT to do it. Secondly, in respect of Mitch Brown, he has suffered very significant injuries for several of those years. Thirdly, if the Geelong BF site is anything to go by Mitch Brown will not be playing many more games for Geelong this year and will be on his bike.

That said, even lowly clubs like us need to incubate KPPs and ruckmen since so many are not born but developed. Tom Lonergan is a good example of a slow-developing but now very important KPD. Of course there are plenty more Austins, Harletts, Bowers and (to pick on another list) Sellars than there are Lonergans.

But my concern re Watson isn't that he is not getting senior games. Rather my concern is that (subject to revision upon provision of Cringle's "facts") he has not even been vaguelly competitive at senior level in the 2 games he has played. Presumably MM would not have promptly dropped him after each game he has played if MM had thought he had shown "something". It is usual to give young players more than 1 game at the senior level to help them adjust to the change of pace etc.

KPP players born 1992/93 who have gone past Watson

Firstly I didn't direct that term at you as much as I now see it would have looked that way....so for that at least, please accept my apology.
There are though some that will venture out to VFL games and report in the negative on just about every call and much worse than that, actually lie about things to suit their steadfast views on a player. Some come here and would know who they are....anyway, I digress.

Secondly..............No point covering the same ground in respect to Watson as I'd only be repeating myself.

Firstly I didn't direct that term at you as much as I now see it would have looked that way....so for that at least, please accept my apology.
There are though some that will venture out to VFL games and report in the negative on just about every call and much worse than that, actually lie about things to suit their steadfast views on a player. Some come here and would know who they are....anyway, I digress.

Secondly..............No point covering the same ground in respect to Watson as I'd only be repeating myself.

Harks, there is no need for you to apologise, I took absolutely no offence. Indeed I am disappointed that your corrective invective ("thickhead") was not directed at me since it avoids any push on your part to address my post in response - a response that any of the intended thickheads might arguably have made. [And I apologise in advance for any supercilious style in my posting - I am not intending to be sarcastic or arrogant in any way. I am genuinely interested in your generally well-informed views most of which, by my silence on the majority of them, you can take as complete acceptance on my part.]

Link
Matt Watson was again a shining light up forward for the Blues as their major goal scorer with three. After spending his time as a defender since his arrival at the Blues, Watson has been transformed as a forward in the second half of the season.

"It's something different for him to give him a bit of a look at a different position ... the stuff he has been able to do for us as a forward in the back half of this year has been pretty promising," Webster said.

Watson shows he belongs

Matthew Watson says his four goals in Carlton's draw against Essendon on Saturday has given him the belief he belongs at AFL level.
The 22-year-old was recalled to the Blues' side for the first time since his disastrous night out against Hawthorn in round 13 this season.

In that game, he was subbed out after gifting the Hawks two early goals and being plagued by the yips for the rest of his time in the game.
Unsurprisingly, he was dropped the following week.
However, the omission triggered his rebirth as a forward, where he has been playing in the VFL since.

Good for you for not giving up Matt. :thumbsu:

Is currently third in the VFL goal kicking ranks.

19 goals in 8 games... Majak Daw who has kicked the most has played 10 games.

In the 8 games his goal tally has gone... 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 2, 2 and 6.

If he keeps going like that we may be able to screw a second round pick for him as Jones attracted one and he was "the best goalkicker in the VFL" ;)

But seriously, it must be time to give this guy an extended run in the big league. Seems that we've already decided he won't be around after this year so surely he should be given an opportunity to at least create some collateral as a trade. The way we're treating him at the moment he looks destined to join the growing list of players that we lose for nothing because we just don't give them a chance to sell themselves to alternate teams.

If he keeps going like that we may be able to screw a second round pick for him as Jones attracted one and he was "the best goalkicker in the VFL" ;)

But seriously, it must be time to give this guy an extended run in the big league. Seems that we've already decided he won't be around after this year so surely he should be given an opportunity to at least create some collateral as a trade. The way we're treating him at the moment he looks destined to join the growing list of players that we lose for nothing because we just don't give them a chance to sell themselves to alternate teams.

It's very odd that during a rebuild he still isn't getting a game.

Think he is wasted as a forward. Just put him in the Seniors backline for the rest of the season and see how he goes.

It's very odd that during a rebuild he still isn't getting a game.

Think he is wasted as a forward. Just put him in the Seniors backline for the rest of the season and see how he goes.

Totally agree!

It is very clear he will not make it as a forward.

Play him in defence for the rest of the year. I honestly think he may be a better alternative than Rowe as his distribution is very good. If nothing comes of it, thanks Matthew but your time is up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Fields kick it out of defence to MW, and then the shot at goal from the centre circle, rolling end over end ... Goal!!! :cool:

His uncle is working at Essendon atm, can easily see him getting picked up by the Dons considering their current situation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back