Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
More to the point... Why is our game scheduled for Saturday night and the Carlton V Essendon game during the day.. Given our ladder position, this is a load of crap. We are equal top, yet have the latest start to our round 23 fixture out of the top 5 teams. If we finish top or second and draw the hawks week 1, we better not be asked to play Fri night giving them an extra day to prepare. All top 8 teams have games before ours except north who are an equal time slot and the crows who are on a sunday but in 8th anyway... baffling!
How is it baffling?
Hawthorn should be the ones being annoyed. They will now be playing Collingwood on consecutive 6 day breaks.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont mind night games. But having said that NO:

- night games at KP on a Thursday night. Friday I can hack, but Thursday? Please.
- ****ing bullshit twilight 4.40pm starts on a Sunday.

Honestly the whole AFL needs a good kick up the arse re. the fixture this year.

Pretty much it. Saturday night game I might occasionally go to. There is very little chance I'll go to a Friday night game, and absolutely zero for a Thursday night.

Pretty much it. Saturday night game I might occasionally go to. There is very little chance I'll go to a Friday night game, and absolutely zero for a Thursday night.

I was going to have a whinge about Friday nights at KP as well, especially due to getting there in peak hour traffic.. but then again Geelong people have to come to Melbourne for Friday night games...

Round One was bullshit that Thursday night game. Is not fun missing out on the first match of the year.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
How is it baffling?
Hawthorn should be the ones being annoyed. They will now be playing Collingwood on consecutive 6 day breaks.
They will also get an extra days break on whoever the play in the first week of finals. I know what i'd rather... In Collingwoods form atm they could have a 4 day break, play half a team and still win

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Umm - Adelaide is a top 8 team and they are scheduled to play Sunday afternoon. And if something happens where Gold Coast turn their slide around and can make it back into the 8, they also play Sunday.

So we are luckier then a couple of teams.
My post was edited... And we are not luckier than the crows or gold coast, they don't deserve any favours as they both might not make finals anyway, we could finish top.... If crows/GC do make finals, their game will be on the Sunday so they will get a 7 day break. The way it looks atm, we may not.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
More to the point... Why is our game scheduled for Saturday night and the Carlton V Essendon game during the day.. Given our ladder position, this is a load of crap. We are equal top, yet have the latest start to our round 23 fixture out of the top 5 teams. If we finish top or second and draw the hawks week 1, we better not be asked to play Fri night giving them an extra day to prepare. All top 8 teams have games before ours except north who are an equal time slot and the crows who are on a sunday but in 8th anyway... baffling!
And here was I wondering why the hell Hawks vs Pies are playing Fri night and not Sydney vs Richmond- but then realised Syd are playing on the Sunday. Sigh.... so whoever gets the Hawks first week during the finals has 1 less day between games. Yeah, also noted the late Cats game- again, it's all about TV viewers, isn't it?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
They will also get an extra days break on whoever the play in the first week of finals. I know what i'd rather... In Collingwoods form atm they could have a 4 day break, play half a team and still win
I guess it's better that the Cats get a 7 day break after their Hawks game- the boys are usually super-charged for those games and very flat afterward.

So we HAVE to end up top 2, to avoid this interstate trip, then, don't we? As has been said before- our destiny is in our own hands. Beat North, beat Freo, beat Hawks- we can do it!!

Not necessarily. As the ladder stands now, we'd play Hawks at the G.

I think the odds are, we'd be interstate tho probs..

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Not necessarily. As the ladder stands now, we'd play Hawks at the G.

I think the odds are, we'd be interstate tho probs..
Yeah- I'd probably rather drop a game now than one in the finals. Happy to play Hawks away at the G. My second preference would be to play Sydney in Sydney if we had to go interstate. Just have to stay top 4 and win the first game to get that week off.

Yeah- I'd probably rather drop a game now than one in the finals. Happy to play Hawks away at the G. My second preference would be to play Sydney in Sydney if we had to go interstate. Just have to stay top 4 and win the first game to get that week off.

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh yeah sure, only have to manage a 102 point turn around to win that one. :p

I honestly have no preference in terms of Subi v Sydney. About as bad as each other imo. Its like who do you want, Hitler or Stalin.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
:eek::eek::eek:

Oh yeah sure, only have to manage a 102 point turn around to win that one. :p

I honestly have no preference in terms of Subi v Sydney. About as bad as each other imo. Its like who do you want, Hitler or Stalin.
I think our recent record vs Sydney at Sydney is better than vs Freo at Freo (or pretty much Freo anywhere! :()

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
So we HAVE to end up top 2, to avoid this interstate trip, then, don't we? As has been said before- our destiny is in our own hands. Beat North, beat Freo, beat Hawks- we can do it!!
Nope 2 or 3. Hawks second if we arent.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Hopefully Pies run the Hawks hard that night!

I was going to have a whinge about Friday nights at KP as well, especially due to getting there in peak hour traffic.. but then again Geelong people have to come to Melbourne for Friday night games...

Round One was bullshit that Thursday night game. Is not fun missing out on the first match of the year.
As a Geelong, and sometimes surfcoast resident, I can't say I enjoy Friday night games in melbourne

Nope 2 or 3. Hawks second if we arent.
Hawks should finish 1-3 now, so the week 1 trip to perth is looking slimmer by the week, a trip to Sydney is still quite possible though

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
What a disgrace that carl and ess is before us when neither can make top 4.do buffoons run the fixture?
Who gives a stuff about Essendon?
The floating fixture is there to make sure you aren't adversely affected by the day you play.

And that's precisely what a Saturday night game does for Geelong.
If they finish top, they 'might' end up with a 6 day break.
If they finish 4th, they 'might' end up with a 6 day break.
If they finish 2nd or 3rd they will most likely have a 7 day break.
If they miss the top 4, they 'might' end up with an 8 day break.

I can't see what the whinging is about. At all.

Micksy

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cowwarr, Fish Creek
If we know the result of the Hawks & Swans game, can we manipulate the result to avoid travel?
Call up all 4 emergencies and sub off another player at the first bounce?

Who gives a stuff about Essendon?
The floating fixture is there to make sure you aren't adversely affected by the day you play.

And that's precisely what a Saturday night game does for Geelong.
If they finish top, they 'might' end up with a 6 day break.
If they finish 4th, they 'might' end up with a 6 day break.
If they finish 2nd or 3rd they will most likely have a 7 day break.
If they miss the top 4, they 'might' end up with an 8 day break.

I can't see what the whinging is about. At all.
The team that finishes 1st after the H&A gets the Friday night QF, so the only way we get a 6 day break is if we finish 1st or 4th and Hawthorn do the opposite, which would be against the team I'm most confident of beating... So storm in a tea cup.

The elimination final featuring 5th is played on Sunday, so really if we finish 5th from here we deserve to play on sunday and thus a 6 day break for finals week 2.

I'm more worried about our week 1 finals destination... avoid Subiaco please boys!!

If we know the result of the Hawks & Swans game, can we manipulate the result to avoid travel?
Call up all 4 emergencies and sub off another player at the first bounce?

So basically lose.

In theory that argument is good, but in reality, big no no. Imo.

Back