Protected picks?

CrazyDon

Senior List
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This aspect confuses me. What does it mean?

E.g

Celtics (protected top 14)
Traded Jordan Crawford, MarShon Brooks in a 3-team trade with Heat, Warriors for Joel Anthony, first round pick (protected top 14 in 2013-15.

does that mean if the club (76ers) dont land a pick within top 14 in 2014 we (Boston) dont get the pick?

Yes, it means the pick is only traded if the pick falls at 15 or later.

Protection will either fall away over seasons to become unprotected, the first round pick will become a second round pick (or two) or the rights to the pick will be extinguished.

CrazyDon

Senior List
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon that's a rubbish concept. That would screw some clubs.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Seems fair enough to me. The team receiving the pick knows the terms from the outset. They're banking on the other team being just good enough, or unlucky enough, to not finish in the protected 'zone'.

In the last draft, Detroit landed the 9th pick (thanks to the Cavs beating the odds) but had to hand it over to Charlotte because it was only 'top 8 protected'.

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Indeed they do tank to keep it, but when LA traded their pick next year they envisaged it would be a pick in the late 20's. All of a sudden it could be a lottery pick, and Howard walked on them anyway and Nash is a cripple.

That and anyone trading with Philly know they aren't getting out of the top 10 draft picks for the next season or 3.

It adds an element of protection to the team trading their pick, something the Clips would do well to remember after they botched it with trading Baron Davis and an unprotected first for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon, which ended up being the Kyrie pick

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It makes sense to me.

If Milwaukee traded to get LeBron James for a player plus a Top 5 protected draft pick next year. If LeBron goes there and plays s**t and they can't get a draft pick better than Top 5 the following year then Cleveland don't deserve the draft pick as well as the player. However if he goes there and they improve so they get a pick worse than 5 then his play has improved the team and he is of more value to them. So Cleveland get the original player plus the draft pick.

Obvious this is an extreme example of the best player on the team. Most other players traded generally have a smaller influence on a teams final record, but they do influence it. Basically if a player goes somewhere and plays well then the team that traded them should get rewarded (e.g. getting the extra pick).

I like the system.

Back