Remove this Banner Ad

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...y-on-for-western-bulldogs-20140729-zy98j.html

Decorated Western Bulldogs veteran and former captain Matthew Boyd is set to play on in 2015, having been offered a new contract by the club.

Boyd, who turns 32 next month, has decided to play on and the Bulldogs are close to an agreement on a one-year contract.

He would join fellow veteran Robert Murphy, who also has agreed to a one-year contract extension.

Boyd has enjoyed a strong 2014 and provided stability to a developing midfield that balances experience with talented youth. He has fared better with injury than last year, when his season was interrupted by a broken cheekbone and a calf injury that confined him to just 13 games.

The two-time All-Australian, who captained the club for three seasons - 2011-13 - has averaged 27.5 disposals a game in 2014 and played all but three games, making him one of the most consistent players at the Western Bulldogs.

While Boyd's position at Whitten Oval is assured for next year, the future of Shaun Higgins is unsettled, with the free agent yet to commit to the club for next year. Higgins has been offered a two-year contract by the Bulldogs.

If they wished, the Bulldogs could place Boyd, Murphy, skipper Ryan Griffen, Will Minson and Adam Cooney on the veterans list and create a significantly larger salary cap for 2015, though clubs that take up the maximum veterans allowance are typically either in premiership contention, or financially strong.

Under new rules, clubs will be allowed to ''bank'' money when they do not pay 100 per cent of their total player payments, using the amount saved in a subsequent season. Daniel Giansiracusa is the only player on the Dogs' veterans list in 2014.

Boyd, who won the club best and fairest in 2009, is one of four 200-game players at the Bulldogs, along with Giansiracusa, Murphy and Cooney, with Griffen poised to join them.

Congrats boydy! Dale Morris signed on for next year?

If not.. I have a feeling it might be his last year.
Would be nice to see Roberts, Talia, and Roughead make the FB, CHB and 3rd tall their own. Could be their first year developing chemistry together.

Last edited:

Great effort by Boydy and am very, very happy for him - but I'm not 100% certain whether it's the right move yet.

I think Matthew has been a good contributor this season - our kids still need support and he has been very strong at crucial times, however by this time next season we will probably be fare-welling Boydy and sending him off in style after a great career.

I think Matthew has been a good contributor this season - our kids still need support and he has been very strong at crucial times, however by this time next season we will probably be fare-welling Boydy and sending him off in style after a great career.
I think you're right Mutt - not doubting his impact this year, I think from my point of view it just comes down to list spots. I think we're well placed to give some other boys a run in his spot at this point (although admittedly we would be losing some leadership and gut running in the short term) and I'm not sure whether he'll be an auto-selection for much longer at all. Good to have him on the list, just haven't really made up my mind yet. Very happy for him regardless, has been a fantastic player for us. :thumbsu:

Inclined to agree with Dannnnnnnnnn, but very happy nonetheless. If it's not the right move, I'm sure we can handle it. Glad a stalwart gets another year when he's very keen to go on and still putting up respectable numbers.

Not a Boyd fan but he has been a great club servant and a very good player. As both a supporter and from a list management perspective, the right decision has been made. I would feel a bit crook if someone like Redpath, Pearce or Jong could keep Boyd out. Boyd adds hardness, experience, leadership and professionalism (and turnovers!), but its the right call to give him another year.

I do hope however that our list develops to the extent that Boyd is not an automatic selection by early next season. And that he becomes good backup for when we have injuries and our young players need time in the twos as their form fluctuates.

I think next year will be his last. But all in all well done Matthew Boyd.

It'll be interesting to see just what his role will be. He's certainly provided a lot of needed leadership this year, particularly with Griff missing the games he has. We've got more than enough young inside mids to take his spot, but Boyd would provide excellent depth. We just don't know if he'll become depth, or if he'll be a straight in. Maybe he'll take Gia's role next year, at least in the 'super sub' department, if not on-field coaching. But it's going to be really hard to judge if this is the right move or not before halfway through next season.

And at the end of the day if Boyd isn't a straight-in, instead providing depth...How good must your midfield be?

Boydy has been a terrific player for the club. All going to plan Clay Smith, Mitch Wallis, Josh Prudden will all be fit at the start (or in Clay's case a bit after the start) of next season. Ad that to hopefully Hunter, Hrovat, Stringer spending more time midfield to go with Griff, Libba, J-Mac and Bonts.

Now I'm sure that Boyd provides bundles of leadership and guidance, perhaps he's so amazing in that respect he's worth his place in the team on that alone, I don't know, it's something hard to know unless you're in the team. Surely the captain of the club provides this as well though.

The young players are driving this bus now. I'd like to see them get as many matches as possible. I'm happy for him to go round again as long as he knows he could be spending a majority of the season in the 2's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The young players are driving this bus now. I'd like to see them get as many matches as possible. I'm happy for him to go round again as long as he knows he could be spending a majority of the season in the 2's.

I'll be honest, I would have preferred he retired. I think we need to turn the list over more rapidly, and get an extra new player on the list. We have a good development team. Let's use them. I would have preferred the 1 in 3 chance that we could unearth a decent diamond in the rough than the 100% chance that Boydy would deliver what we all know he will.

Having said that - I wouldn't push him out the door. If he wanted to play on I wouldn't have forced him to retire. As long as he is cool with what Scary_Foot_9 said. A Gia-like year for Boydy next year, I hope. (Except he obviously wouldn't wear the green vest on the occasions he played.)

I don't mind this at all. But I hope he plays more as a sub like the gia role.

Good on him, I think if Clay didn't do his knee again we'd have to phase him out and get games into Wally and Smith but I can understand giving him another year.

Interesting to see if we move them to veterans list and then have a heap of money to throw around next year, just when Boyd, Patton and Cameron are coming out of contract, and where pushing for the 8 and GWS are still flopping around in the bottom 4 ;)

Personally though unless it's for one of those 3, or another player we have in mind already I'd wait and then shift them (well those who are still here) onto the veterans list at the end of next year and take a big cap into the 2016 offseason and really go hard at FAs when they will be more important.

Congratulations to Boyd. Not the decision I would have made, but perhaps the injury to Smith and the uncertainty over Higgins has prompted this move. I worry that the loss of experience at the end of next year will be telling - Murphy, Morris, Boyd and potentially Cooney...

. I would have preferred the 1 in 3 chance that we could unearth a decent diamond in the rough than the 100% chance that Boydy would deliver what we all know he will.

We will still have that one in three chance a year later when he does retire

Congratulations to Boyd. Not the decision I would have made, but perhaps the injury to Smith and the uncertainty over Higgins has prompted this move. I worry that the loss of experience at the end of next year will be telling - Murphy, Morris, Boyd and potentially Cooney...
I was petrified of grant, west, smith and Darcy retiring. Then we made 3 straight prelims. The Macrae, Libba, dal brigade will be ready to carry the can in 2016.

Fair enough to give him the option. He's definitely earned it. He'll also provide good insurance given Clay's knee and Griff's battle with his back injury.

I was petrified of grant, west, smith and Darcy retiring. Then we made 3 straight prelims. The Macrae, Libba, dal brigade will be ready to carry the can in 2016.

Good point.

I do believe however that good list management is letting players go at the right time for the club, not the player. I'd rather get another kid on the list and give them 10 games than give another 10 - 15 to Boyd, but I can understand the clubs decision.

Fair enough to give him the option. He's definitely earned it. He'll also provide good insurance given Clay's knee and Griff's battle with his back injury.

I'm with you (and others on this), I think injuries to others may have been just enough to keep on one more year... Bottom line is he's earned it..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back