Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair, we were handsomely rewarded for Scully chasing the dollars at GWS. Picks #4 and #14 - where we picked up Toumpas at #4 and sent #14 to GWS with #3 for mini-draft pick #2 (Jesse Hogan), Dom Barry and pick #20. Pick #20 and #45 then went to Collingwood for Dawes and pick #58, which ended up becoming pick #63 which we flicked to North with Gysberts for Pedo and #74. We then used this to promote one of Michael Evans or Dan Nicholson from the rookie list.

So Scully, Gysberts and some draft picks became Hogan, Dom Barry, Toumpas, Dawes and Pedo. Hmmm.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair, we were handsomely rewarded for Scully chasing the dollars at GWS. Picks #4 and #14 - where we picked up Toumpas at #4 and sent #14 to GWS with #3 for mini-draft pick #2 (Jesse Hogan), Dom Barry and pick #20. Pick #20 and #45 then went to Collingwood for Dawes and pick #58, which ended up becoming pick #63 which we flicked to North with Gysberts for Pedo and #74. We then used this to promote one of Michael Evans or Dan Nicholson from the rookie list.

So Scully, Gysberts and some draft picks became Hogan, Dom Barry, Toumpas, Dawes and Pedo. Hmmm.

Ok but we have lost more players to other clubs than anyone else - and we can't afford for this to keep happening, as there's no way we'll make out like bandits every time - Scully was a one off.

It's the vibe. There's definitely a vibe.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The compensation for scully was ridiculous because the afl were embarrassed that the gws target younger players. Who knows when they had an agreement with scully. No way scully was worth the same compensation as ablett. But it was a bad look that a number 1 pick left only after 2 years.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The compensation for scully was ridiculous because the afl were embarrassed that the gws target younger players. Who knows when they had an agreement with scully. No way scully was worth the same compensation as ablett. But it was a bad look that a number 1 pick left only after 2 years.

The compensation was tied to the size and length of Scully's contract - so GWS's ridiculous, overinflated contract delivered us a ridiculous, overinflated compensation. Which was fantastic.

My personal view on the PP and whether we should get one - regardless of the look of it, regardless of whether we deserve one, the rule/situation exists and PJ would be derelict in his duties if he didn't pump the AFL hard to request one. I have no shame and would love the fact that we had an extra bargaining tool in trading or an extra option on a talented kid. I would also especially enjoy the bleating from certain people in leadership positions at powerhouse clubs (I'm looking at you, Eddie).

But I'm sure not going to lose any sleep worrying about if we will or won't get one.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Byrnes' spot was going to be open whether he retired or not. I'm assuming his contract ran out at the end of this season? If not, good on him for not lingering on pointlessly.

Byrnes' spot was going to be open whether he retired or not. I'm assuming his contract ran out at the end of this season? If not, good on him for not lingering on pointlessly.
I agree, was just looking for a politer way to say it :)

Was worth a shot but unfortunately didn't pan out. Still a better pick than some others we've made lately

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Remaining free agents (after King retired, Geary and Mackay signed new contracts):

Dees (1):
Frawley

Restricted (1)
Higgins (WB)

Unrestricted (24)
Boyd (WB), Butler (WC), Enright (GEE), Firrito (NM), Fisher (STK), Fletcher (ESS), Giansiracusa (WB), Goldsack (COL), Goodes (SYD), Gwilt (STK), Jetta (ESS), Jones (STK), Logan (PTA), Malceski (SYD), McGrath (BRI), McPharlin (FRE), Morris (WB), Newman (RIC), Porplyzia (ADE), Roberts-Thompson (SYD), Sewell (HAW), Stewart (PTA), Waite (CAR), Winderlich (ESS)

Blokes in red I reckon would retire if not offered a new contract at their current club. Rest of the playing talent is pretty thin.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dees would have surely had a good crack at MacKay and Geary. Pretty obvious they've been told we are out because Frawley is leaving.

Malceski is different, because I could see Sydney doing a cheap trade deal to get him to his club of choice, should they not afford him a reasonable contract.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wanted to go after Levi Greenwood a few years ago and was ridiculed. Looking upon his 2014 form he'd have been a great pick-up.

Clint Jones is a player in a pretty similar mould, but at his age yeah, he's not going to bring much.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wanted to go after Levi Greenwood a few years ago and was ridiculed. Looking upon his 2014 form he'd have been a great pick-up.

Clint Jones is a player in a pretty similar mould, but at his age yeah, he's not going to bring much.

See if he maintains it. He's having a good year for the Kangas but his disposal is still ordinary - I caught the Carlton game and he was one of (many) culprits guilty of woeful ball use. There are plenty of guys who have a good year when their career / contract is in the cross-hairs that go back to being mediocre again - Rischitelli is one that comes to mind. More something I've seen in years and years of watching soccer though - the old My Contract Is Expiring Sudden Return To Form phase that big Mark Viduka loved so much.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only one I would consider on that list is Malceski if he is confident he can play at least another 2 years. He would replace Terlich in the best 22 and we can recruit / develop another rebounding defender to take over in a couple of years

If Matthew Boyd and Brad Sewell aren't offered new contracts by their clubs I wouldn't mind offering them a similar deal to Daniel Cross, 1 year with a performance based 2nd option. Our midfield is the worst in the league, they would help while our young blokes develop.

If Leroy Jetta doesn't get a new deal can we rookie list him and turn him into a defender? But seriously i would be happy with Malceski, Jones and possibly Gwilt

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Leroy Jetta doesn't get a new deal can we rookie list him and turn him into a defender? But seriously i would be happy with Malceski, Jones and possibly Gwilt

Luckily I got to the second half of that post before I could repeatedly smash my laptop into the table.

hulkhogan1

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Man U, PSG, Victory, Real Madrid,
If Matthew Boyd and Brad Sewell aren't offered new contracts by their clubs I wouldn't mind offering them a similar deal to Daniel Cross, 1 year with a performance based 2nd option. Our midfield is the worst in the league, they would help while our young blokes develop.
Now now, we aren't a retirement home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back