Opinion 10 most under rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton players are generally disliked. As are usually Essendon and Richmond... but Richmond's usually warranted.

Not sure if anyone rates Curnow or Simpson as much as the club does. Or Gibbs for that matter. Has played an elite season.

From other clubs...
Steven May, Rory Thompson and Dayne Zorko.

Varcoe isn't terrible, but not great either. Does his role.

Lee Spurr is very underrated IMO
Apparently had the most goals kicked on him of any small defender in the AFL. (Caveat: I heard that from Gary Lyon. On the footy show.)
Not as good as Mark Baguley, but of course I would say that.
Not sure whether Isaac Smith counts as he is a premiership player but he's super damaging.
Lindsay Thomas gets a bad wrap because of the diving, but puts on a heap of pressure as well as kicking goals and using his footskills up the wing.
What exactly is Varcoe's role? He just seems to flit about kicking the ball to no one. Comfortably in the overrated pile for me.

no order-
Sam Fisher- was underrated but is probably more forgotten now because he has been out so long. Used to be as important as goddard, hayes reiwoldt etc in the saints good years.
Jack Redden- Only getting better and better and if played in Vic would be on the radar
Drew Petrie- Slow start this year but is so important to norths fwd structure
Joel Patfull- been so reliable/versatile for so long without much appreciation
Shaun Burgoyne- Composure and leadership, great player.

a few more- Jack steven, paul puopolo, SAM MITCHELL( one of my favourite ever players), carrazo and goldsack.

Bird
Blicavs
Caddy
Gaff
Hombsch
Langford
Rowe
Jon Simpkin
Zac Smith
Spurr

Last edited:
2 players from my team Mitchell and Lewis are not really underated , Hawthorn supporters love both of them , and
media commentators seem to have come on board and love them too . The current Hawks player most under rated is Liam Shiels ,
he will be a 250 game player and probably a future captain .

Bloke who struck me as underrated Saturday Night was Sam Wright. Was close to BOG, only behind Heppell and Wells IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy isn't the best balding forward ruck in the game. I'll probably give you the best forward/ruck though.
Balding forward, Hale wins hands down. Or if you count already bald, Chappy :p

Do you go for the players that get some attention but deserve to be heralded as superstars or the ones that get nothing but are super imortant for their teams...?

Kade Simpson
Shane Edwards
Liam Shiels/ Ben Stratton
Andrew Gaff/Matt Priddis
Jackson Trengove
Harry Cunningham/Nick Smith
Luke Dalhaus
Tendai Mzungu

Ben Stratton.

Great defender who can play well on both talls and smalls but seems to get next to no attention from anybody.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back