Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shows that Saturday twilight is the perfect attending slot for attending games for both QLD clubs, our home crowd patterns have been similar to yours last seasons, our four worst home crowds have been Saturday 7.40pm games and our three best have been Saturday 4.40pm games. Our game v Suns got double the crowd of our game v Eagles two weeks ago.
I really like the Saturday twilight slot. Being a bit older, getting home at a reasonable time is great.

I really like the Saturday twilight slot. Being a bit older, getting home at a reasonable time is great.
It's perfect for us younger ones as well, more time to do other stuff after the game or if we can't be bothered it's nice to be able to go home and watch another game on TV

Just out of interest as i did not see the game was there a good GC Suns fan base at the game ?.

Or Anyone, Matchu etc ?.
In my area, top tier behind Suns cheer squad, there was a pretty big number of Suns supporters. I'd say the majority of them were young kids, which was brilliant to see. In my area, I'd say it was about 60% Lions supporters, 40% Suns. However, the Lions fans were MUCH more vocal.

Some interesting articles in the gc bully today regarding the Titans. The headline is TITANS IN CRISIS. One details the coach's successor, another is the CEO stating he will not leave the team, another talks about how they've hit rock bottom with salary cap probes and their poor on field results and the other says one of the Indian investors hasn't paid for his 30% of shares in the club. Gee whiz, talk about problems! Maybe they really are in crisis?

According to the bulletin website it is the Scott Prince severance package that is the main sticking point in the salary cap probe. I remember around 5 years ago they were investigating the club over giving Princey a free house and not including it in the salary cap. I agree with Matchu that the club is tarnished in the public's eyes. Even the journalist says it in one of his article. The exact portion of the article is "It's got to a point where the Gold Coast has given up on supporting the Titans. There were more Eels fans at the stadium on Saturday night. It's a recurring theme."

Some interesting articles in the gc bully today regarding the Titans. The headline is TITANS IN CRISIS. One details the coach's successor, another is the CEO stating he will not leave the team, another talks about how they've hit rock bottom with salary cap probes and their poor on field results and the other says one of the Indian investors hasn't paid for his 30% of shares in the club. Gee whiz, talk about problems! Maybe they really are in crisis?

According to the bulletin website it is the Scott Prince severance package that is the main sticking point in the salary cap probe. I remember around 5 years ago they were investigating the club over giving Princey a free house and not including it in the salary cap. I agree with Matchu that the club is tarnished in the public's eyes. Even the journalist says it in one of his article. The exact portion of the article is "It's got to a point where the Gold Coast has given up on supporting the Titans. There were more Eels fans at the stadium on Saturday night. It's a recurring theme."
I saw that too. Could we be witnessing a third Gold Coast sports team crumbling? That'd be three in two years. I think the most interesting part of one of those articles in the Bulletin was that it suggested the start of the decline for the Titans began when they built the Centre of Excellence. Fair point, they certainly didn't have the money to afford it. It seems like they have been playing catch up ever since.

Their ownership model isn't ideal either. You have a guy with 30% of the shares that hasn't produced the money and the majority shareholder is the one that sent the club into the red in the first place. No wonder the public doesn't have a lot of confidence in them.

I have stated in another thread that I think this weeks game against the Saints will be embarrassingly low, due to
  • Start time (7:40pm is too late if you have kids)
  • Suns pathetic performance in the last 2 games
  • Saints not a high drawing club
I fear this could be very ugly on Saturday night, I have only ever missed 2 home games in the Suns existence but I wont be going Saturday night

Might be jumping the gun here but courier mail journo peter badel just tweeted the Titans players have all been called for a meeting at 11am. That is in 20 minutes from now. Could this be it? Are the Titans on the verge of shutting down?

Might be jumping the gun here but courier mail journo peter badel just tweeted the Titans players have all been called for a meeting at 11am. That is in 20 minutes from now. Could this be it? Are the Titans on the verge of shutting down?

Surely not, the NRL are not going to gift the AFL all of the GC, they are dumb but not that dumb

I have stated in another thread that I think this weeks game against the Saints will be embarrassingly low, due to
  • Start time (7:40pm is too late if you have kids)
  • Suns pathetic performance in the last 2 games
  • Saints not a high drawing club
I fear this could be very ugly on Saturday night, I have only ever missed 2 home games in the Suns existence but I wont be going Saturday night
Not sure about the context of the game, but I recall there being a GC vs SK a year or two ago that managed a crowd very close to 20k IIRC. Maybe the Sun's shitty performance will draw in Saints fans hoping for a win following their destruction of Freo! We can only hope ;)

In saying that, I won't be attending.

GC2015, a bit more has come out about the Titans' situation over the last 24 hours. Apparently talks of relocation to another city were brought up. They also don't have a major sponsor for 2015 yet. Pretty crazy if it's true.

GC2015, a bit more has come out about the Titans' situation over the last 24 hours. Apparently talks of relocation to another city were brought up. They also don't have a major sponsor for 2015 yet. Pretty crazy if it's true.
As much as I dislike the NRL, I really hope this doesn't happen. It's good for GC to have the two teams.

Hypothetically, the Titans relocating would be good for the Suns wouldn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...004936862?nk=11ca839717a10dd3bad8bfc599a4ce37

THE Gold Coast Titans are about to enter one of the most important phases of their short-lived existence.

As the club continues to deal with the fallout from an ongoing salary cap investigation, and an independent consultant prepares to review the football club’s operations, The Australian can reveal officials at the very highest level of the organisation have spoken about whether the team should stay on the Gold Coast.

Despite public sentiments of support, Titans officials are also privately questioning whether the NRL has a genuine interest in ensuring the club succeeds.

Since the Titans’ inception in 2007, the Gold Coast has consistently asked the NRL for financial aid to combat the growing influence of the AFL in the region.

Yet while the AFL underwrites the Gold Coast Suns to the tune of $20 million a year, and spends many millions on development in the region, the Titans are virtually left to fend for themselves.

Last year alone, on top of their base grant of $7m, the Suns were given an additional $2.6m. The Titans, on the other hand, were given a miserly $250,000 to invest in three development officers.

Little wonder frustration continues to grow among the club’s upper echelons about the mismatch taking place on the coast.

That mismatch has prompted some to suggest the answer may be to leave the region, although it its understood those comments were borne more of frustration at the lack of support — both from the NRL and the fans — rather than any desire to forsake the area.

Nevertheless, some suspect it mighty be best for all if the licence was sold to the likes of Perth or a second Brisbane team. The Titans are bleeding money and fans.

The game’s governing body talks about backing the Gold Coast, but in reality it is little more than lip service compared to the support the Suns get from the AFL.

Drive the stretch from Coolangatta in the south to Southport in the north and every bus shelter has an ad for the Suns, and by extension the AFL.

The Titans, in contrast, do their best with what little they have. The club has almost gone under once. The NRL came to its aid on that occasion and for that it deserves to be commended.

Yet the support has dried up despite the money flooding in to rugby league. The NRL has a war chest stashed away for future investment.

Meanwhile, the Titans continue to wither on the vine. As a result, the code continues to give up ground on the Gold Coast, both to the AFL and soccer.

The club is yet to secure a major sponsor for next season, leaving a million-dollar hole in the budget which is yet to be filled.

It is understood talks are ongoing with several companies but nothing has been agreed. At the same time, the Titans have called in an independent consultant — doctor Dave Arthur — to undertake a review of the club’s football operations.

Arthur was previously been used by Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley when the latter was second-in-charge at the NRL.

His charter is to study the Titans operations and come up with some explanation for the club’s poor performance in recent seasons.

It won’t help the club’s bottom line, but it may help explain why the Titans have failed to generate rusted-on supporters in the region.

As for the NRL, it needs to start walking the walk.

It needs to show it is committed to the Titans and the region. It needs to dig into its cash reserves and send some the Gold Coast’s way.

It needs to complete its salary cap review, come down with sanctions if necessary, and then wrap its arms around the Titans.

It needs to shore up the corridor south of Brisbane. Otherwise, it may be lost forever.

If the Titans move it is an indictment on the GC and the NRL, I loathe Rugby League but a strong club is required on the coast and if they fail who else would ever dare to put another professional club on the GC.

Titans
Rollers
Blaze
Bears
another league team back in Wally's day
It's a dangerous precedent to have set and will always be hanging above the head of the Suns even if we are doing well.

I think competition is crucial for any business, and the Suns would be better off in the long term if the Titans remain and keep driving them to innovate. It was funny when GCU folded because of Palmer, but I don't think anyone here really wants to see the Titans fold. Having the Suns be the number one team on the GC over the Titans is a much more impressive victory for our sport than winning by default.

This turn of events also provides a bit of a counterpoint to the "AFL shouldn't be throwing $20m a year at the Gold Coast" argument. The Titans and NRL are demonstrating what happens when you don't invest significant money in a new franchise.

But ultimately I don't think there's really any realistic chance of the NRL abandoning a city of 600k people. As Iva said, they're not that dumb. More likely would be buying (or taking) the license back from Searle.

I think competition is crucial for any business, and the Suns would be better off in the long term if the Titans remain and keep driving them to innovate. It was funny when GCU folded because of Palmer, but I don't think anyone here really wants to see the Titans fold. Having the Suns be the number one team on the GC over the Titans is a much more impressive victory for our sport than winning by default.

This turn of events also provides a bit of a counterpoint to the "AFL shouldn't be throwing $20m a year at the Gold Coast" argument. The Titans and NRL are demonstrating what happens when you don't invest significant money in a new franchise.

But ultimately I don't think there's really any realistic chance of the NRL abandoning a city of 600k people. As Iva said, they're not that dumb. More likely would be buying (or taking) the license back from Searle.

Ultimately i think you are right, the NRL could not afford to let the Titans go under, but what if the GC is really only big enough for one professional sports team and in reality the competition is not between the football codes but actually dragging enough out of the GC market for only one team to survive.

Either team, no matter how they are travelling is going to be huge, i guess the GC can hope to emulate a team like Geelong in the future in terms of stadium and position to a major city etc.

Maybe the NRL will cut the Titans and move them to Western Brisbane, Ipswich etc where they have no rivals.

It appears that ATM the Suns have postioned themselves far better than the Titans.

Ultimately i think you are right, the NRL could not afford to let the Titans go under, but what if the GC is really only big enough for one professional sports team and in reality the competition is not between the football codes but actually dragging enough out of the GC market for only one team to survive.

Either team, no matter how they are travelling is going to be huge, i guess the GC can hope to emulate a team like Geelong in the future in terms of stadium and position to a major city etc.

Maybe the NRL will cut the Titans and move them to Western Brisbane, Ipswich etc where they have no rivals.

It appears that ATM the Suns have postioned themselves far better than the Titans.

I suppose it has been done, Canberra was an AFL town before the Raiders

I suppose it has been done, Canberra was an AFL town before the Raiders

Marginal if at all.

Changing demographics obviously play a huge part, initially Canberra has a big influx of Melbourne public servants and workmen ( 1920/30's), but the surrounding rural towns of Canberra were populated by Sydney centric people who took up RL.

Even today roughly half of Canberra and district RL teams are from outside Canberra, yet in comparison to Canberra these places have tiny populations.

AF clubs are mainly within the ACT and not many in the rural areas outside Canberra and the ones that are are not as strong as the town RL team ( usually)

I'm beginning to wonder this too. Ipswich is a huge NRL town. Nobody cares about AFL whatsoever. I know the NRL are wanting an Ipswich team, and it would make sense to relocate the Titans if they're struggling to a city with more fans. Who knows. Ipswich has deserved a team for a very long time.

I'm beginning to wonder this too. Ipswich is a huge NRL town. Nobody cares about AFL whatsoever. I know the NRL are wanting an Ipswich team, and it would make sense to relocate the Titans if they're struggling to a city with more fans. Who knows. Ipswich has deserved a team for a very long time.
I would think that Ipswich will have a NRL team within the next 5 years with or without the Titans relocating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back