Society/Culture Australia, the home of subtle racism.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
All I can say to this thread is this....

Australian's circa 2014 aren't inherently racist.

In terms of the wider community as a whole, I think any person who works hard, abides by the law, and contributes to the community...they will admired and accepted regardless of race.

But the reality is, from a Perth perspective, the vast, overwhelming personal experience which the majority of the non indigenous population has to draw upon (regarding indigenous people), is sadly negative.

Being abused and called a white cxxx on public transport or in the city.

Witnessing drunken anti social behaviour in public whilst out and about with the family, regardless of time of day.

Criminal behaviour and assaults on the community.

That's all most non indigenous people see, and thus that in turn forms the perceptions....not some inherent disposition towards racism which exists in the DNA of white Australians en masse.

The best thing Aboriginal australia can do to tackle racism is get it's own house in order.

It may be suprised how different things would be if that was to happen.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
A
That's all most non indigenous people see, and thus that in turn forms the perceptions....not some inherent disposition towards racism which exists in the DNA of white Australians en masse.

Even if those are the facts, where racism comes in is where such anecdotes feed a stereotype and public perception.

More to the point - watch the ad I posted above. Taking into account everything you have heard or even experienced, what is your take on the given scenarios? The ad above is asking us whether we treat the person in each situation as a person, or are we clouded by categorising them as indigenous and treating them differently because of that, without knowing sweet * all about them? If you (or I, or anyone) react according to the "Invisible Discriminator's" advice, then that is quite simply racist behaviour. I'm not one to then take the step to label people who behave that way as racist, that achieves nothing. But the behaviour is born out of nothing other than racism, and if we ever catch ourselves doing it, we really need to stop, think and respect, just like the ad says.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Even if those are the facts, where racism comes in is where such anecdotes feed a stereotype and public perception.

More to the point - watch the ad I posted above. Taking into account everything you have heard or even experienced, what is your take on the given scenarios? The ad above is asking us whether we treat the person in each situation as a person, or are we clouded by categorising them as indigenous and treating them differently because of that, without knowing sweet **** all about them? If you (or I, or anyone) react according to the "Invisible Discriminator's" advice, then that is quite simply racist behaviour. I'm not one to then take the step to label people who behave that way as racist, that achieves nothing. But the behaviour is born out of nothing other than racism, and if we ever catch ourselves doing it, we really need to stop, think and respect, just like the ad says.

That all may be true, but sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

Let me flip this scenario upside down.

If the overwhelming personal experience of Aboriginal people towards white people was being verbally abused and treated with aggressive hostility, would you concede it's a reasonable expectation that they would therefore hold a less than rosy view towards non aboriginal people?

Also, would it be racism on there part for doing so?

In terms of the wider community as a whole, I think any person who works hard, abides by the law, and contributes to the community...they will admired and accepted regardless of race.

But the reality is, from a Perth perspective, the vast, overwhelming personal experience which the majority of the non indigenous population has to draw upon (regarding indigenous people), is sadly negative.

Witnessing drunken anti social behaviour in public whilst out and about with the family, regardless of time of day.

The best thing Aboriginal australia can do to tackle racism is get it's own house in order.

tbh, I am not really surprised by your comments.

Hats off to Kickazz for being the only one thus far willing to engage with my comments specifically and not focus on having a go at me.

Good stuff mate.

wasn't having a go at you ~ more Perth. Its the only place where I've felt some level of racism as an adult.... the only place where I have been in conversations with people I don't know very well who had derogatory comments about indigenous Australians, muslims, etc.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
That all may be true, but sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

Let me flip this scenario upside down.

If the overwhelming personal experience of Aboriginal people towards white people was being verbally abused and treated with aggressive hostility, would you concede it's a reasonable expectation that they would therefore hold a less than rosy view towards non aboriginal people?

Also, would it be racism on there part for doing so?

Yes it would be, based on what I have said earlier. Judging a white guy based on what other white people have done to you in the past is a decision based in race. Note again I don't want to label the person as 'racist' - plenty of other people in society can do that unhelpful thing for us.....

But you will get criticism for saying 'it happens to white people too'. It does happen, but in reality white people in Australia do not suffer anywhere close to what indigenous people do. And so, when it is raised in a thread like this, people can see it us unco-operative or deflecting from the main issue at hand. That may come across as completely dismissing your point, which is unfair.

For what it's worth, if you do get called a 'white campaigner' by an indigenous person - your reaction is up to you - but I would call them out on it. Not in an abusive or labelling way, but something along the lines of "that's a bit harsh, you don't know me as an individual" sorta thing.

Kynge of Begrem

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2011
on bail at the time
AFL Club
Collingwood

perhaps what you see is based on your prejudices? you are looking for it so you see it more often?

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Beyond Blue have put out an ad that deals directly with some of the finding identified in OP:

To be honest, if I hadn't seen that ad in the context of this thread I don't think I'd have even figured out what it was meant to be about until the end, maybe during the bit with the girl on the bus.

Let's not forget who introduced them to alcohol.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Debate?

With you?

LOL.

Maybe I should cry and stamp my feet and demand that "you get out of my thread"!

But I'm not a pissy bitch.

Not a pissy bitch?

I guess running off to mods when people don't ape the same black armband ideological garbage does kind of fall into a grey area doesn't it.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a pissy bitch?

I guess running off to mods when people don't ape the same black armband ideological garbage does kind of fall into a grey area doesn't it.

Yes, your experience in big, bad Perth and as a copper, stands you in so much greater stead than people who actually live with this s**t daily.

By all means, attempt to stink up the thread with your tripe, but don't label me when you obviously have nfi.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ah, I see where you are coming from now...*slowly backs away, smiling politely*

It's his key phrase and talking point on any thread in regards to aboriginals and racism.

Hence my refusal to "debate".

He has a staunch and ignorant viewpoint and only ever lectures.

It's a pity, as this thread was going well.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Yes, your experience in big, bad Perth and as a copper, stands you in so much greater stead than people who actually live with this s**t daily.

By all means, attempt to stink up the thread with your tripe, but don't label me when you obviously have nfi.

And having half Aboriginal children somehow qualifies you as objective does it.

And oh yes...not all police are racist.

In my past life I actually volunteered in my own time at pcyc programmes.

Shock horror, dealt with a large number of Aboriginal youth.

But that doesn't fit your hood wearing narrative does it.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Beyond Blue have put out an ad that deals directly with some of the finding identified in OP:

I see the point that is trying to be made, but at the same time it is clearly a koori driven, eastern states centric commercial which frankly as a west australian I have difficulty identifying with.

To be honest, I wouldn't of even noticed the aboriginal lad at the start of the ad....it's behaviour and physical appearance that gets my attention.

IE - if he had of been filthy and smelling as though he hadnt showered in a week, whilst wreaking of alcohol/toluene/paint, whilst unloading loud obscenities and exhibiting aggressive body language....my oath I would get up and move - irrespective of his race.

The notion that that somehow makes me a racist is utter crap.

Kynge of Begrem

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2011
on bail at the time
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see the point that is trying to be made, but at the same time it is clearly a koori driven, eastern states centric commercial which frankly as a west australian I have difficulty identifying with.

To be honest, I wouldn't of even noticed the aboriginal lad at the start of the ad....it's behaviour and physical appearance that gets my attention.

IE - if he had of been filthy and smelling as though he hadnt showered in a week, whilst wreaking of alcohol/toluene/paint, whilst unloading loud obscenities and exhibiting aggressive body language....my oath I would get up and move - irrespective of his race.

The notion that that somehow makes me a racist is utter crap.

Back