Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously.

The key part is the bit about the Johnny Football persona though. You'd be stupid to think it isn't all somewhat calculated, and that his managers aren't keeping him in check. He's just promoting his brand, and that's what you get when you draft a celebrity. Some people won't like it, but Manizel was always going to polarise people.

Some people prefer a QB with a haircut you could set your watch to, while some prefer the wild untamed facial hair that reveals a new world of rebellion and change...

rmo96c.jpg

Funny when they talked to Nameth he was a Fan of Johnny Football

Zak Gilbert resigns as Browns P.R. director
Posted by Mike Florio on June 26, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
1372255905000-gty-cleveland-bro-1306261012_4_3.jpg
Getty Images
Last year, the Raiders abruptly fired P.R. director Zak Gilbert, reportedly because an article written in Sports Illustrated was deemed by owner Mark Davis to be unfairly critical of Davis and his late father, Al.

This year, Gilbert has left the next job he took, resigning as Browns Director of Communications.

“We greatly appreciate Zak’s efforts, work ethic and contributions to the Cleveland Browns organization,” Browns President Alec Scheiner said in a release. “He has been a true professional, and we wish him and his family the best moving forward.”

Gilbert released a statement of his own, characterizing the move as a true resignation.

“After a lot of thought and discussion, I’ve come to the difficult decision to resign my position as head of the Browns’ communications department,” Gilbert said. “I want to thank everyone in the organization, most particularly Jimmy and Dee Haslam. I’d also like to extend my appreciation to Alec Scheiner, Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer, and thank members of the local media for the relationships we enjoyed. Working for one of the great franchises in pro football, the team with the league’s most loyal fans, was a genuine privilege. I wish the Browns and all of my teammates inside the building nothing but success.”

In many cases, terminations masquerade as resignations, create natural skepticism as to whether any resignation truly is a resignation. In this case, the move comes one week after an article appearing on a Sports Illustrated web property inadvertently created the impression that coach Mike Pettine believes the Patriots underhandedly got their hands on a Jets playbook while Pettine was working in New York. Regardless of whether the failure to properly communicate the anecdote belonged more to the interviewer than to the interviewee, Gilbert presumably recommended, suggested, and/or approved the sit-down that created an unwanted distraction for the franchise.

Chances are that the wheels were in motion for this move well before the Pettine playbook snafu. And regardless of whether Gilbert wanted out or the Browns wanted him out, the door continues to revolve when it comes to key jobs in the businesses owned and/or run by Jimmy Haslam.

In less than two years as owner of the Browns, two General Managers (Tom Heckert and Mike Lombardi), two coaches (Pat Shurmur and Rob Chudzinski), a CEO (Joe Banner), and now two P.R. directors (Neal Gulkis and Gilbert) have gone. It’ll be interesting to see whether the trend continues.

Zak Gilbert resigns as Browns P.R. director
Posted by Mike Florio on June 26, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Last year, the Raiders abruptly fired P.R. director Zak Gilbert, reportedly because an article written in Sports Illustrated was deemed by owner Mark Davis to be unfairly critical of Davis and his late father, Al.

This year, Gilbert has left the next job he took, resigning as Browns Director of Communications.

“We greatly appreciate Zak’s efforts, work ethic and contributions to the Cleveland Browns organization,” Browns President Alec Scheiner said in a release. “He has been a true professional, and we wish him and his family the best moving forward.”

Pathetic Browns… sugarcoating a FIRING.. o_O :rolleyes:

We all know what new HC Pettine really thinks..

1356165439_Rottenecards_52965224_p6xn2j78wf_answer_2_xlarge.png

I'm not underestimating them whatsoever… warning Steeler fans who have the WRONG attitude that this Browns team has new faces and new ideas… and with that comes some 'swagger'.. WOOF!!

In one of the local Browns papers they are doing a where are they now series on all the starting QB's since 1999. Got me thinking about who are the best QB's I have see since watching the Browns.

I started following them seriously during the 2008 season so unfortunately I didn't see Derek Anderson light it up in 2007. Anyway this is the very sad list in order from best to worst

Brandon Hoyer - The most competent QB I have seen. Small sample size but clearly the best.
Colt McCoy - I was his biggest fan. One game against the Patriots stands out. Unfortunately everything must go right for him to be a winner
Jason Campbell - Played a couple of goods games. Didn't seem to have what was required up stairs.
Brandon Weeden - Made some of the best throws and some of the worst that I have seen in a Browns uniform
Thad Lewis - Only started one game however he played alright.
Seneca Wallace - Did one or two good things. Once he lost his legs his game was ineffective.
Jake Delhomme - Was spent when we got him from Carolina. Had no arm strength or accuracy or confidence. Not a great combination
Brady Quinn - Great team guy always took the blame for a loss. He was awful on the field though he could throw a ball with any accuracy and never ask him to throw it deep.

Interesting stuff here on the Josh Gordon appeal

source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-on-disparity-between-a-and-b-bottle-tests/
According to the source, Gordon has passed at least 70 drug tests. One test barely generated a positive. And but for the 50-50 luck of the draw, it would have been a negative.

Urine samples routinely are split into two bottles, the “A” bottle and the “B” bottle. If the “A” bottle generates a positive result, the “B” bottle is tested. Amazingly, the “B” bottle doesn’t have to independently show a violation. Instead, the substance abuse policy states that the “‘B’ bottle Test need only show that the substance, revealed in the ‘A’ bottle Test, is evident to the ‘limits of detection’ to confirm the results of the ‘A’ bottle Test.”

In English, close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and “B” bottles.

For Gordon, the “A” bottle showed a concentration of 16 ng/ml, only one nanogram per milliliter above the limits of 15. The “B” bottle showed a concentration of 13.6 ng/ml — less than the threshold.
But because the “A” bottle was labeled “A” and not “B” and because the “B” bottle was labeled “B” and not “A”, the end result is a positive and a minimum one-year banishment from the NFL. Flip the bottles when it’s time to apply the labels, and Gordon isn’t facing a suspension.

NFL Media's Charley Casserly spent Tuesday embedded at Browns camp, where he emerged with a surprising prediction for the NFL's sexiest quarterback battle.

Sharing his practice notes with Around The League, Casserly -- the former Redskinsgeneral manager -- believes that Cleveland's "quarterback of the future is tied to its two No. 1 draft choices for next year," writing: "I don't think Brian Hoyer or Johnny Manziel will be the answer."

Casserly ranked Hoyer's play ahead of Manziel and believes the veteran "should stay there for the preseason" as "the difference in practice is not overwhelming."

If Casserly was in Mike Pettine's shoes, he'd start Hoyer in Week 1 and ride him until it doesn't work. Either way, look for the Browns to rely on what Casserly called a "playoff-caliber" defense beside a run-heavy offense that leans generously on Ben Tate and rookie Terrance West, who Casserly likes a lot.

Other notes from Casserly's visit to Brownscamp:

» Casserly believes Kyle Shanahan's offense will adapt to the gifts of its starting passer. A Hoyer-led attack is primed to emphasize the zone run game and play action passing, while Manziel would see plenty of zone read and option calls, just as Robert Griffin III did with the 'Skins.

» Despite all the off-field white noise, Manziel was described to Casserly by multiple team sources as bringing a "first-in, last-out mentality" and showing up to camp with a better knowledge of the offense. Verbiage is the biggest challenge for Manziel, but Casserly was told the rookie is "doing fine" with that aspect of the playbook.

» Casserly likes Manziel's quick release and arm strength, but sees "no outstanding physical traits" in Hoyer. He does see in the veteran a passer who knows where to go with ball. Hoyer's accuracy dipped on downfield throws, but he's a smart quarterback who Casserly believes will ultimately start under center on opening day.

» On defense, rookie cornerback Justin Gilbertis still learning his way, but the former Oklahoma State defender has too much talent to ride the bench. Cleveland's first-round pick is making more plays around the ball more thanBuster Skrine.

The Gordon appeal may be interesting after all. Apparently the argument will be that the positive test was a result of second hand smoke. Nobody has ever won with that argument, but nobody who has tried ever had the differing A and B samples before either. He'll no doubt still be suspended, but maybe a year long ban isn't a foregone conclusion. Also interesting to note that the NFL records a positive test at 15 nanograms, whereas WADA has increased the threshold to 150 nanograms for Olympic athletes.

In other camp news, it sounds like Justin Gilbert will be starting opposite Joe Haden in no time. And Chris Kirksey and Joel Bitonio will also likely be rookie starters at MLB and LG respectively. Terrance West will see a lot of playing time in the back field too.

I am a new Browns fan. I used to follow the Falcons as a teenager because of Michael Vick but then his incident happened and I lost interest in NFL. I gathered some late interest in the season last year without following a team. Manziel reminds me of a young Vick so I am happy to be on board and will be for life now. I am real bummed about Gordon though.
Anyone with an NFL fantasy league that needs a spot filled then let me know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have now chose my team.

:hearts: Cleveland

So Im watching the first game right now (Mostly for Kellen Moore) but I have been paying attention to Hoyer/Manziel.

For 2014, I think Hoyer would be best. Might get them up to a .500 team.
But you can see the potential, composure and X-Factor that Manziel provides. I don't like his pre-snap reads as it's putting them in a bit of trouble as the play develops. WIll lead to a few plays that just kill drives. But if this kid improves that one part of his game, he could lead Cleveland back to 1950s like form. It'll cost them Wins in 2014, that I can tell already. But fix it. This offence is going to be deadly.

ps. Cleveland. if Manziel wins the job, can we have Hoyer? He'd be an amazing backup QB.

I think it will be a 2012 49ers type situation, with Johnny Manziel just waiting for an opportunity to take over. But Brian Hoyer should definitely start the season. I think ultimately the coaches will go down that path, partly because Hoyer deserves it and partly to protect Manziel - particularly if Josh Gordon only gets an 8 game suspension. Do you want the future of your club to be starting his career with Andrew Hawkins as the top receiver? Or maybe wait until Gordon gets back? Hoyer is in a better position at the moment to be able to make plays with average receivers, and you shield Manziel from some early season struggles.

On the receivers though, I thought Charles Johnson looked good - but obviously with a long way to go. Although it was against the second and third string defenses, he showed a little bit of the Gordon's in the way he ran his routes and looked to get yards after the catch. The tiny Taylor Gabriel also showed something, along with FB/TE MarQueis Gray.

And if all else fails, at least we can rely on our defense again this year. Armonty Bryant in particular is looking to be in for a big year as a third down pass rusher.

I think it will be a 2012 49ers type situation, with Johnny Manziel just waiting for an opportunity to take over. But Brian Hoyer should definitely start the season. I think ultimately the coaches will go down that path, partly because Hoyer deserves it and partly to protect Manziel - particularly if Josh Gordon only gets an 8 game suspension. Do you want the future of your club to be starting his career with Andrew Hawkins as the top receiver? Or maybe wait until Gordon gets back? Hoyer is in a better position at the moment to be able to make plays with average receivers, and you shield Manziel from some early season struggles.

On the receivers though, I thought Charles Johnson looked good - but obviously with a long way to go. Although it was against the second and third string defenses, he showed a little bit of the Gordon's in the way he ran his routes and looked to get yards after the catch. The tiny Taylor Gabriel also showed something, along with FB/TE MarQueis Gray.

And if all else fails, at least we can rely on our defense again this year. Armonty Bryant in particular is looking to be in for a big year as a third down pass rusher.

I agree with all of that Chris. I loved seeing all of those bootlegs from the offence. One game from last year that sticks is my mind is when we played Washington. Shanahan and Cousins carved us up with the QB rolling out. I was pretty excited to see the Browns doing the same sort of stuff. I also like the look of the zone blocking scheme.

Surely there'd be no doubt that Hoyer needs to be the starting QB anymore. As poor as he looked, he'll be able to bring it together quicker and it's easier to move on from him - as bad as that is to say. But really, it's no surprise that both QBs struggled for any consistency. They've been splitting the reps all week and even in game they were taking turns. And the fact is, it's not like they are similar QBs. So one drive you're having Hoyer run 90% of the plays from under centre, and suddenly the next you have Manziel in the shotgun or pistol for 90%. It's almost like having two different offensive schemes that they're switching between on an hourly basis. At least they didn't throw any interceptions though, unlike the Redskins...

And even though it would be hard for them, a lot of blame needs to go to the receivers too. Andrew Hawkins dropped a TD catch in the endzone, it was an average throw but an easy catch. That alone would have made for better stats for Hoyer on the day. Josh Gordon was just going through the motions, and you'd barely have known Miles Austin was out there.

So basically, I'd be naming Hoyer as the starter and giving him 100% of the practice reps with the first team. I think that would make a huge difference to both of their play next week.

But on the positives, I thought our running game looked really good. Ben Tate is clearly the #1 back, and is already the best runner we've had in years. Terrance West showed good signs, and he hit a few more holes than last week, so should work his way into splitting the carries by mid year. I really wanted to see more of Isaiah Crowell though. And our D is going to win us games this year, simple as that. Our front 7 is unheralded, but easily one of the best in the league. I'm tempted to get an Armonty Bryant jersey, he's shaping up to have a huge year - Billy Winn too. It's a shame that we had so many corners missing in this game though, because it undid so much of the good work that the guys up front did. Can't wait until we have a full secondary to match the big guys, particularly with Gilbert starting and Skrine on the inside.

I have now chose my team.

:hearts: Cleveland
Hello Tradesman, Welcome to the Browns Backers Worldwide!
https://fans.clevelandbrowns.com/
A couple years ago I posted a thread here asking for help to pick an AFL club to support, and it became clear that Richmond and Cleveland were two of a kind.
I can't wait to see our Browns against the Squeelers in 2 weeks....
And, do you think our Tigers can pull of a miracle and make the finals this year? I think they can!

A couple years ago I posted a thread here asking for help to pick an AFL club to support, and it became clear that Richmond and Cleveland were two of a kind.
And, do you think our Tigers can pull of a miracle and make the finals this year? I think they can!

I'd say the dogs are closer

I'd say that though because I love the browns and hate the tigers and never want to hear that comparison again

Haha I did the same thing!

I don't think we will mate! But we have had a good run and build on for 2015.

Amazing how much worse we looked without Joe Haden. Normally he'd completely shut down one half of the field, which means the safeties can slide over and the QB has to take that extra second or two which allows for the front 7 to get more pressure on. That's even more important on third downs, where we seriously struggled. But take him out, and your starting CBs are a rookie just returning from injury and a guy battling to even make the 53 man roster. Probably the only two positives on D were Chris Kirksey and that Dansby/Sheard blitz.

The most interesting thing in the next couple of days will be how many receivers we keep on our roster - particularly as we carry Gordon during his suspension. Austin, Hawkins and Benjamin are certainties but who else? Burleson hasn't played a snap, but we really need another proven guy to help out Hoyer - who wasn't that bad against the Rams, he really only made one awful throw and got no help from those around him. Otherwise, Gabriel has probably played his way onto the team as a receiver/returner. Hopefully we punt on Charles Johnson too, because there's no chance of him passing waivers and making the practice squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back