Trade hypotheticals

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Bullshit. You can't rate the 2014 pick #1 as a different value to the 2013 #1. The value of the pick must be the same. Now, I don't dispute that the player you draft may have a greater value over time ( say Selwood Vs Thorpe for illustration purposes only) but the value of the pick each year must be the same.

For eg, the NFL have a draft chart and value the picks accordingly. Each year the #1 overall is the same value. You need that consistency for valuation purposes. #1 overall is worth #1 overall. The players may be different but then it becomes subjective as to whether a KPF is worth more than than an inside mid.

GO Catters
Yes you can if its a stronger draft year then they are treated as more valuable hence why teams are happy to trade early picks some years and not others.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bullshit. You can't rate the 2014 pick #1 as a different value to the 2013 #1. The value of the pick must be the same. Now, I don't dispute that the player you draft may have a greater value over time ( say Selwood Vs Thorpe for illustration purposes only) but the value of the pick each year must be the same.

For eg, the NFL have a draft chart and value the picks accordingly. Each year the #1 overall is the same value. You need that consistency for valuation purposes. #1 overall is worth #1 overall. The players may be different but then it becomes subjective as to whether a KPF is worth more than than an inside mid.

GO Catters
I think he means the difference between pick 1 and pick 2 in 2013 is greater than that difference in 2014

Yes you can if its a stronger draft year then they are treated as more valuable hence why teams are happy to trade early picks some years and not others.
but you are basing that one the PLAYER value not the PICK value….

GO Catters

I think he means the difference between pick 1 and pick 2 in 2013 is greater than that difference in 2014

Sure, the perception may be that Boyd is better than Petracca ( for the sake of the discussion) but with GWS having Cameron and Patton, Boyd may be more overkill than filling a need - where as another outstanding mid in Petracca may set up their MF to compete with the GSC style completely loaded MF.

It gets subjective to what the club needs and how the player is valued. And that muddy's up what players are worth.

GO Catters

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
It all depend on what Cameron decides to do.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bit of talk on 6PR last night that the Dockers are confident they will woo Marco Parpone (sorry for spelling) back home from the Lions. Apparently is homesick.

I'm confident he will stay.

But I don't think he'd be leaving because of homesickness as such. His father is currently battling cancer. It would be hard for Marco and his family.

On what he has shown, he'd be worth a top 20 pick.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I'm confident he will stay.

But I don't think he'd be leaving because of homesickness as such. His father is currently battling cancer. It would be hard for Marco and his family.

On what he has shown, he'd be worth a top 20 pick.
I'd say more likely low-mid 20s. He's shown some very good signs and I really like him, but his value drops a bit if it's his choice to leave in my opinion.

Would be awful for the Lions though. Hopefully his father recovers and Marco decides to stick it out.

Geoff Heywood

Debutant
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Paparone really worth more than Yeo, Longer, Docherty etc?

If he is out of contract, not really. I don't know much about him but there is no way he has shown as much as Yeo.

If he goes, Brisbane really have issues with the due diligence of their recruiting.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out of of interest would you straight swap Bonts for Patton or Boyd?
Which of the two is rated higher internally?
How dare you even think of trading Bonts! At 18 years old he's shown he can play as a midfielder, CHF, and even drift back. You wouldn't trade him unless the deal was far too good to pass up. And I mean along the lines of getting Cameron, Boyd and Whitfield for Bontempelli.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he is out of contract, not really. I don't know much about him but there is no way he has shown as much as Yeo.

If he goes, Brisbane really have issues with the due diligence of their recruiting.

Yeah clairvoyance is something we need in our recruitment team. Want to be able to see cancer before it is diagnosed.

Also losing kids who have moved to a non football state is one of the things the academies was supposed to address. This just highlights why they should be left alone.

Geoff Heywood

Debutant
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah clairvoyance is something we need in our recruitment team. Want to be able to see cancer before it is diagnosed.

All these players appear or come from very tight knit or close family backgrounds. Yeo, Karnezis & Docherty. Yeo stated pre-draft it was his dream to play in his home state and he comes from a very close family.

You guys would be pretty nervous with Aish next year.

Danair

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
i agree on the 2014/2013 draft comparison.

i reckon we'll pass on mccartin and go for pertracca. based on some news that is starting to come out about us targetting one of your talls next year in the PSD

There's news coming out that St. Kilda will take one of Cameron, Boyd or Patton in the 2015 PSD?!

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What I have seen, Longer and Yeo showed more.

Would be in the 25 - 35 range.

Being a Brisbane fan and taking an interest in those who left us last year, Paparone has showed far more than Longer. At 19 he has already shown the ability to get a bit of the ball and kick a goal or two. Not bad for a bloke who is 194cm.

Needs to work on his consistency and add bulk. Get's pushed off the ball to easy at the moment. But he is going to be very handy with his height, athleticism and running ability.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
Being a Brisbane fan and taking an interest in those who left us last year, Paparone has showed far more than Longer. At 19 he has already shown the ability to get a bit of the ball and kick a goal or two. Not bad for a bloke who is 194cm.

Needs to work on his consistency and add bulk. Get's pushed off the ball to easy at the moment. But he is going to be very handy with his height, athleticism and running ability.

Not worried by his disposal?

willoblue

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2009
Melbourne CBD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I reckon he could turn into a decent backman if given the chance.
Not suggesting he won't be a good forward, especially as a Nick Riewoldt type, high half forward who gets lots of the ball closer to the centre than the goal & opens up the forward line type player, burning off his opponent with gut running.
would happily take him at Freo, but baulk at first rounder.
second may be not enough, so maybe some trading is required.
is there a borderline 22 Freo player that could be used at Brisbane?
Clancee Pearce?
this is all in answer to the speculation that Paparone wants to go back to WA

Back