Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

that raises a good query. why cheat nights on weekends as opposed to a weeknight? i mean they are all just days! perhaps binging on a weekend is more acceptable to the person "oh, yeah its a weekend!!!!1!! PARTY". probably assosciated with social accepted norm that weekends is for letting your hair down and not working (unless you are in retail or tourism i guess)

For me it is as simple as i play footy on Saturdays, so increased calorie expenditure and i don't really eat between 11am and 6pm (game is between 2pm to 5;30pm).....i have calories in the bank as such.

Secondly working 8am-5pm mon to fri my week is structured so eating lower calories from healthy foods is easy as such, and also i don't head out for dinners with friends on weeknights. However weekends i may head out for dinner with friends so allowing for me to eat a cheat meal, flexible dieting. It's what works for me.

But you are right about people being more social on weekends, each day should be equal but they aren't. But for different people, different days may work, someone who works behind a bar friday to sunday nights may find a cheat meal on a Wednesday is easier to do. The important thing to keep in mind is a cheat meal, not a cheat day or weekends. You can easily erase any deficit by splurging all weekend. Something i have been guilty of in the past.

Moving forward, starting around September i will head into a bulking phase, so depending how i am going i may or may not eat cheat meals as i am already eating enough calories. I can easily substitute sushi instead of steak, vegg and rice and still balance my calories/hit macros.

For me it is as simple as i play footy on Saturdays, so increased calorie expenditure and i don't really eat between 11am and 6pm (game is between 2pm to 5;30pm).....i have calories in the bank as such.

Secondly working 8am-5pm mon to fri my week is structured so eating lower calories from healthy foods is easy as such, and also i don't head out for dinners with friends on weeknights. However weekends i may head out for dinner with friends so allowing for me to eat a cheat meal, flexible dieting. It's what works for me.

But you are right about people being more social on weekends, each day should be equal but they aren't. But for different people, different days may work, someone who works behind a bar friday to sunday nights may find a cheat meal on a Wednesday is easier to do. The important thing to keep in mind is a cheat meal, not a cheat day or weekends. You can easily erase any deficit by splurging all weekend. Something i have been guilty of in the past.

Moving forward, starting around September i will head into a bulking phase, so depending how i am going i may or may not eat cheat meals as i am already eating enough calories. I can easily substitute sushi instead of steak, vegg and rice and still balance my calories/hit macros.

you make absolute sense. i guess when it comes to what day it is, it doesnt matter. depends entirely on the person.

you seem to know a bit about dieting etc from the sounds of your post. i wont reach a bulky level given my body shape, however i have put on what i term a happy amount of muscle.

my question is, after a workout (evenings after 8pm) consisting of weight work, what should i be eating thereafter? i mean i am hungry!

Brother, start eating during games. Have half a banana at qtr time and 3 qtr time and a few lollies and BSAA's during breaks. It's super important to keep your body fueled with sugars, carbs and amino acids. Not eating during a game is setting you up for cramps and fatigued output.

When I say I splurge, I mean I may eat chinese on the Saturday night and some ice cream and bircher muesli on a Sat/Sun. I eat conservatively during the week but on weekends I am lenient without being silly, I justify it because I train as hard, if not harder than anybody else in the gym.

Typically I train how I see fit, but an example of what I did yesterday.

4 km treadmill run - gradiant +2 at 13kmh ( Drenched)

Bench press - 1 x light 1 x moderate 1 x heavy 1 x light max out
Incline Bench - same as above
Decline Bench - same as above
Machine flys - 3 x moderate 1 x light max out

In between each set I pump out 10-15 push ups, and rest 30 - 60 seconds.

I'm done in 45-60 min.

When I say I splurge, I mean I may eat chinese on the Saturday night and some ice cream and bircher muesli on a Sat/Sun. I eat conservatively during the week but on weekends I am lenient without being silly, I justify it because I train as hard, if not harder than anybody else in the gym.

dude!

Look around when you're training 90% of people are there for a social gathering... I don't see the point! I have head phones and just focus, I hate being at the gym so I rest as little as I can, train as efficiently as possible and always by myself so I can be out ASAP.

Look around when you're training 90% of people are there for a social gathering... I don't see the point! I have head phones and just focus, I hate being at the gym so I rest as little as I can, train as efficiently as possible and always by myself so I can be out ASAP.

yeah sorry my post may have come across as rude.

Brother, start eating during games. Have half a banana at qtr time and 3 qtr time and a few lollies and BSAA's during breaks. It's super important to keep your body fueled with sugars, carbs and amino acids. Not eating during a game is setting you up for cramps and fatigued output.

Typically I train how I see fit, but an example of what I did yesterday.

4 km treadmill run - gradiant +2 at 13kmh ( Drenched)

Bench press - 1 x light 1 x moderate 1 x heavy 1 x light max out
Incline Bench - same as above
Decline Bench - same as above
Machine flys - 3 x moderate 1 x light max out

In between each set I pump out 10-15 push ups, and rest 30 - 60 seconds.

I'm done in 45-60 min.

Yeah no issues with eating chinese food or some kind of takeaway and ice cream, you are free to do as you please. The point i was getting too, i've found personally if i want to get sub 10% body fat then cheat meals become less regular and they are exactly that a cheat meal only.

I don't like mixing steady state cardio with weight training, in fact i don't like steady state cardio at all. I prefer a more volume than you, each to their own, do what you enjoy in the gym.

As for your advice on eating during a game, no thanks. I am 28 years old, i have been playing senior footy for 10 years. I have never been one to eat during exercise, i don't get hungry not to mention i don't want my body to be digesting food whilst its trying to run chase tackle or kick a footy. Even on game day i don't eat a lot, the day before is more important for mine. For the record the amount of times i have cramped whilst playing footy i could count on one hand, and those have generally been on hot days early in the season. I sip on supergreens and BCAA's pre game.

Yeah no issues with eating chinese food or some kind of takeaway and ice cream, you are free to do as you please. The point i was getting too, i've found personally if i want to get sub 10% body fat then cheat meals become less regular and they are exactly that a cheat meal only.

I don't like mixing steady state cardio with weight training, in fact i don't like steady state cardio at all. I prefer a more volume than you, each to their own, do what you enjoy in the gym.

As for your advice on eating during a game, no thanks. I am 28 years old, i have been playing senior footy for 10 years. I have never been one to eat during exercise, i don't get hungry not to mention i don't want my body to be digesting food whilst its trying to run chase tackle or kick a footy. Even on game day i don't eat a lot, the day before is more important for mine. For the record the amount of times i have cramped whilst playing footy i could count on one hand, and those have generally been on hot days early in the season. I sip on supergreens and BCAA's pre game.

Interesting post. When I say eat, a banana is eaten over a duration of 3 hours is hardly going to effect your digestive system. I have just retired my self at 30 due to my body breaking down ( 5 surgeries in 4 years doesn't help) but like you I played senior footy both at State level and local level and the advise has always been to keep your body actively fueled whilst not feeling full. Of course as a 28 yr old you would know and understand your body best so no need to take advise from me.

I've never been under 10% body fat, even when I was in absolute prime shape I was still 11%, I'll try and find a pic to post.

Currently sitting at 12 % and ( 176cm 77kg) not overly happy but as I have a lot of responsibility at work, the training aspect takes a back seat.

In regards to my cardio, that was one session. I vary my sessions on the regular! HIIT, spin, 2km TT, 40 min moderate runs, hill running etc.

Interesting post. When I say eat, a banana is eaten over a duration of 3 hours is hardly going to effect your digestive system. I have just retired my self at 30 due to my body breaking down ( 5 surgeries in 4 years doesn't help) but like you I played senior footy both at State level and local level and the advise has always been to keep your body actively fueled whilst not feeling full. Of course as a 28 yr old you would know and understand your body best so no need to take advise from me.

I've never been under 10% body fat, even when I was in absolute prime shape I was still 11%, I'll try and find a pic to post.

Currently sitting at 12 % and ( 176cm 77kg) not overly happy but as I have a lot of responsibility at work, the training aspect takes a back seat.

In regards to my cardio, that was one session. I vary my sessions on the regular! HIIT, spin, 2km TT, 40 min moderate runs, hill running etc.

Have a read of the what to eat game day thread. I don't subscribe to the common diet and nutrition for exercise, i feel my body can endure 3 hours of exercise without eating during that time, provided i have eaten adequately in the previous 36 hours. But others feel the need to eat, depends on each individual.....I've been lucky only broken my nose a few times, and nothing more major than a few strains and sprains.

Yeah no issues with your cardio, personally if i do do it i separate it from my weight training sessions. But we don't all have the time to do so, ive done pre seasons regularly since i was 15 so my motivation for running at the moment is non existent. Coincidentally listening to this podcast by Layne Norton;

http://rxmuscle.com/radio//MuscleCollege03-12-13.mp3

I am pretty similar dimensions to you, i'm 178cm 82.3kg and probably around 13% body fat.

I always subscribe to the notion one cheat day won't make you fat, just like one clean day won't make you skinny. I guess this doesn't work well when I use this terminology everyday :p

I always subscribe to the notion one cheat day won't make you fat, just like one clean day won't make you skinny. I guess this doesn't work well when I use this terminology everyday :p

Depends how much and what you eat. But generally speaking if you remain in control or just eat more quantities of good food, you are correct.

It's simple the more you "cheat" the more body fat you will have. My point to reducing the amount and frequency of cheat meals is if you really want to be in tip top shape!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleaned up my diet for a cut, trekking along well. Starting to see some slight ab definition which is nice.

Got some new PB's on bench and squats also :)

Squats: 2 x 90kg.
Bench: 5 x 60kg.

Hoping to get to 100kg squats by the end of the year and 60kg front squats.

A bit of back progress :) managed 50kg lat pulldowns which is only 7kg off my body weight.

wmQIGNJmpmmwBMykQwXttgAqCViLrgFrkZxB.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned up my diet for a cut, trekking along well. Starting to see some slight ab definition which is nice.

Got some new PB's on bench and squats also :)

Squats: 2 x 90kg.
Bench: 5 x 60kg.

Hoping to get to 100kg squats by the end of the year and 60kg front squats.

A bit of back progress :) managed 50kg lat pulldowns which is only 7kg off my body weight.

wmQIGNJmpmmwBMykQwXttgAqCViLrgFrkZxB.jpg

are you about to complete a lat pulldown set?

Age; 28
Height; 5'10 / 178cm
Current weight; 81.5kg
Body fat % - approx 12-13%
short term goals; increase strength, lean gains, lose body fat.
Long term goals; would love to get to and stay around 10% BF weighing around 88kg

I play local footy on Saturdays, train Thursday nights only, i have Tuesdays off because of some adductor issues.
Gym is 6 times a week.
Sunday - back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/shoulders
Wednesday - back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris (and 3 x sets of 3 leg exercises)
Friday - shoulders/traps

For chest, back, legs hitting 6 exercises each x 3-4 sets in the 5-8 rep range
For other smaller muscles 3-4 exercises each x 2-3 sets in 10-12 rep range

Just an update one month on from my last post. Weight (bodyfat) is down, looking a bit bigger and leaner. My weight hasn't dropped as much as i would of liked, i've indulge a bit to much on Saturday's cheat meal nights during the previous 4 weeks, which is where i need to cut back on to get to my goal weight. I've made a deal with myself to get to sub 80kg before i commence a bulk. Which if i can drop 500g per week for the next 3 weeks will get me to the end of August.

Footy is over as of next Saturday, what a relief.

Depends how much and what you eat. But generally speaking if you remain in control or just eat more quantities of good food, you are correct.

It's simple the more you "cheat" the more body fat you will have. My point to reducing the amount and frequency of cheat meals is if you really want to be in tip top shape!
If he exceeds his maintenance calories by 3500 he'll put on a pound of fat. Sometimes after a cheat day/meal you appear fatter but it's just water weight and it takes a few days of lots of water to flush it out

If he exceeds his maintenance calories by 3500 he'll put on a pound of fat. Sometimes after a cheat day/meal you appear fatter but it's just water weight and it takes a few days of lots of water to flush it out

Don't worry i know all about it, excess calories, carb refeeding refilling glycogen stores etc. However losing/gaining weight is not linear and as simple as adding/lessing certain numbers. My problem was Saturday nights would be to far over the top and i was gaining bodyfat along with refilling my glycogen stores. Secondly, i was sick of dropping 2-3kg during the week, putting that all back after my cheat meal, waking up Monday the same weight as last week and taking another 3-4 days to drop that 2-3kg "water weight".

This weekend upped my carbs intake compared to during the week, i weighed in around 81.7kg this morning so around the same as Friday, however that's 2kg less than last Monday's weigh in around 83.7kg. Hitting a bit of a plateau of around 81.5kg at the moment, but im noticing my belt is more lose fitting around the weight and looking better in the mirror so not getting to caught up on the actual weight at the moment.

Chin ups>lat pull down, if you're nearly at bodyweight you may as well give them a crack and see what you think

I do 5-6 (reps) x 4 wide grip pull ups on back day, if I'm feeling weaker though I'll do 7-10 x 4 chin ups :)

Member Profiles Age: 31
Height: 179
Weight: 93kg
Body type: between an endomorph and a mesomorph. I have naturally huge thighs and glutes.
Qualifications in the industry: Bachelor of Science (Health and Exercise), Grad Dip (Education), Expired ESSA Accreditation as an ex phys. Don't work in the field anymore. Work in OHS instead. s**t boring.

Supplements currently using: just protein powder and a multivitamin

Diet: protein shake with fruit and multi-vitamin for breakfast, protein/vegetables and small amount of carbs for lunch and dinner

Goals: I let myself go somewhat the last few years. Goals are predominately performance based for my sport, but aiming for a decrease in weight to 85kg and bodyfat percentage of 18%.

Achievements so far: I have no problem putting and maintaining muscle mass and strength. I don't do any hypertrophy training. Just power and CV, plyometric and flexibility training specific to my sport. Have lost 3kg and dropped 2% body fat since starting a high protein, low carb and high activity program two weeks ago. Going well so far.

Sport played: Tennis

can you be a PT?

Nope. I used to do plenty of PT work, but most days gyms demand a Cert IV in fitness. You might wonder how that would be of higher standing than a uni degree and ESSA accreditation, but I really do think that you get a lot more practically out of a Cert IV than doing what I did - they put me to absolute shame with practical knowledge - and that's coming out of one of the more renowned sports science uni's.

I found doing ASCA courses pissed on cert 4 as they made you get practical experience if you wanted to be certified. Personally if I was you I would do the cheapest/quickest way to get cert 4 (if you wanted it). Unfortunately the course isn't crash hot but for some reason that's the most recognized cert going around. You would learn more from 2 weeks as a pt (with the right mentors) than you will doing a cert 3 and 4 course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back