List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting call. I have seen Webster create off half-back and run forward only to see the ball turned over and come back in over his head. Otherwise I think Webster has great closing speed and gets a fist in where other blokes couldn't. Find me a creative HBF that also shuts down completely. That role will go more to Geary than Webster.
Agreed. Comparing to Sydney, Geary is more suited to a Nick Smith type role, while Webster is more of the Rhyce Shaw type (but a far far better kick). Savage is plays like Malceski & has been surprising good defensively too with spoils & pressure acts in recent weeks.

The key for the next 2 years for us is to develop our skills (work our arses off on our kicking & ability to hit targets) & develop/add some class to the list. We've already seen that our structures work when we apply ourselves pressure-wise & disposal efficiency is high, so all that's left to do is hard bloody work off-season, recruit some 30-70 game talent, & draft classy kids

im in the massive minority here and i know it but i would rather cut the losses with shenton and upgrade eli.

I think Shenton needs to be upgraded. Ed been there on the rookie list , has worked on his game and been given an opportunity and from what I've seen shown he can play at afl level . To cut him and not Ross for example who has played well at vfl level but has shown very little in all but one game in the afl would be unbalanced

Gee Whiz, the last 4 pages just went BANG!

I'm encouraged by the whispers doing the rounds, especially those coming from Brett Anderson & Brett Thomas on Twitter. Both Saints (well B.A at least worked for us) & have solid links in recruiter land.

It's going to be fascinating what comes of this trade & draft period... Shiel, Boyd, Patton... if we can extricate 1 of them from GWS this off season then that's outstanding. If we can land 2 by the start of 2016 then we'll all be doing back flips.

Re: Dylan Shiel, if we can get him then I think that might make a trade involving Armo more possible. Following Armo's last month of footy (& you can probably put Rhys in this boat too) I dropped him out of any trade speculation. However as we're building for 2018 & beyond, blokes 26+ need to be considered as possible trading chips.

I suspect that Melbourne were keen on Armo last year & that he was part of the rumoured trade for pick 2 that fell over last year. If (when) The Dees get a compo pick for Frawley then maybe he'll still have their interest. I don't think we can afford to lose Armo unless Shiel can be locked in.

So;

Pick 1 & pick 21 to GWS for Dylan Shiel & Pick 10 (their enacted compo pick)
David Armitage & Sam Gilbert to Melbourne for Pick 4 (Frawley compo)

Gives us

Dylan Shiel
Pick 4 (Durdin/Brayshaw/?)
Pick 10 (Lever/Laverde/?)

In 2015 thrown the kitchen sink at Boyd/Patton or Cameron).

Of course Armo & Gilbo won't likely get the trade for pick 4 done so if pick 10 can be landed from GWS then that might have to be added to Armo & get Melb's 2nd rounder in return (Armo & #10 for #4 & #23).

I suppose if Shiel is unattainable then the same trade could be made for Boyd or Patton.
Anyone have links to Brett Anderson and Brett Thomas Twitter feed?

im in the massive minority here and i know it but i would rather cut the losses with shenton and upgrade eli.

you are not alone. i feel the same way. i dont get what we see in him, especially with gears re-signing. give me countless others playing the backline instead of him at 24, 25 next year. classic list clog

Webster is the perfect half back flanker, not sure why anyone would want to turn him into a midfielder.

+1 has some things to work on, but i think he's more suited to that position. i'd rather lock him in there and find someone else to be a mid

Pick 10 (their enacted compo pick)

I don't think GWS have a compo pick they can activate in that range. From what I know they have an end of first which will be pick 20, while the Dons have pick 19 and GC have a compo pick active after the Cats first. I think after this year that will be all of the GWS/GC compo picks done for.

I could be wrong as it is hard to keep track of all these stupid miscellaneous picks floating around.

Interesting call. I have seen Webster create off half-back and run forward only to see the ball turned over and come back in over his head. Otherwise I think Webster has great closing speed and gets a fist in where other blokes couldn't. Find me a creative HBF that also shuts down completely. That role will go more to Geary than Webster.

I keep looking for him to get between his opponent and the goals and he doesn't do it, my memory is of lots of small forwards running unimpeded towards goal from a stoppage within 20m, and Jimmy having neither body contact nor position to stop them but trailing by 5m with a shattered look on his face while his opponent celebrates.

I'm happy with what he does well but he has basic defensive problems and with our excess of HBF I'm not sure he is at the top of the tree. His stoppage work sucks and there is no excuse from static situations.

I'd love to find the stats but I can't find goals conceded.

We keep coming back to it, we have HBF in excess, we need another KPB, elite mids and KPF, regardless of what any of us think of Jimmy some of the HBF either get traded delisted or develop the skills/tank to extend their game to midfield and or HFF, right here right now I can't honestly say that Jimmy is better than Savage, Gwilt, Geary, Dempster, Roberton, Fisher, Shenton or Ray, or anyone else that goes through HBF.

Last edited:
I don't think GWS have a compo pick they can activate in that range. From what I know they have an end of first which will be pick 20, while the Dons have pick 19 and GC have a compo pick active after the Cats first. I think after this year that will be all of the GWS/GC compo picks done for.

I could be wrong as it is hard to keep track of all these stupid miscellaneous picks floating around.
They'd probably get a few more picks when you look at JOR, Jaksch likely heading home and they'd probably trade players like Buntine, Sumner etc perhaps.

Higgins is a LOT bigger than I thought (186/89), has enormous talent and elite skills, is in a very enticing age bracket for us at 26, but his injury history is very concerning.

At the right price, and IF we were absolutely sure his body would hold up to at least 15 games a year then absolutely; can't have too much class.

EDIT: AFL.com.au has North, Carlton, Richmond and GWS as the interested parties as far as Higgins goes...
Can't see how 26 can be an enticing age for us when we've said we won't be going after FA's this year because they don't fit the age bracket we're after?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems the goal for this trade period is get Armo to Melbourne, get Gilbo to Gold Coast and get a better KPF than McCartin or Wright or maybe pick up Shiel if possible.

If we ended up with Boyd/Shiel, Pick 4/5 and Pick 6/7/8 I don't think I could contain my excitement for 2018.

It seems the goal for this trade period is get Armo to Melbourne, get Gilbo to Gold Coast and get a better KPF than McCartin or Wright or maybe pick up Shiel if possible.

If we ended up with Boyd/Shiel, Pick 4/5 and Pick 6/7/8 I don't think I could contain my excitement for 2018.
Is that the clubs goal do you think, or just big footy's?

I can't see the club trading Armo unless we get a terrific offer, and I'm not sure Gilbert would be worth that much after the last two years.

Is that the clubs goal do you think, or just big footy's?

I can't see the club trading Armo unless we get a terrific offer, and I'm not sure Gilbert would be worth that much after the last two years.

Bigfooty's, but we have the best interest of the club at heart :D

This much is true about Gilbo but Armo will be a fair bit older by 2018 and if we can get something nice for him why not. If it's true what was said though and that Gold Coast want experienced players Armo would be the way to go he's got experience he's in a good age bracket for a finals/flag tilt for them and he's a queenslander. Their first pick would go alright I think.

Bigfooty's, but we have the best interest of the club at heart :D

This much is true about Gilbo but Armo will be a fair bit older by 2018 and if we can get something nice for him why not. If it's true what was said though and that Gold Coast want experienced players Armo would be the way to go he's got experience he's in a good age bracket for a finals/flag tilt for them and he's a queenslander. Their first pick would go alright I think.

Would Armo even get a game in gold coasts midfield in two years time though? He's not the sort of player that can play on a flank.

it is? armo looks like he's staying. he might end up captain?

With Geary singed and Gwilt about to I honestly can't see any players going to other clubs next year. Armo looks likely to be our next captain and unless someone shows interest in Gilbert I can't see who we are going to trade off. I'm predicting we offer up our first pick for Boyd and if that doesn't work we'll probably just go to the draft with what we've got.

With Geary singed and Gwilt about to I honestly can't see any players going to other clubs next year. Armo looks likely to be our next captain and unless someone shows interest in Gilbert I can't see who we are going to trade off. I'm predicting we offer up our first pick for Boyd and if that doesn't work we'll probably just go to the draft with what we've got.
Goddamit Jones..... :mad:

I really want us to trade for Tom Boyd this year, for no other reason than to piss off the Carlton supporters who are convinced he'll be going there because he went for them as a kid.

The thread on the rumours board? I enjoyed reading that thread. Reminded me of their attitudes toward a certain number one pick who supported them as a kid who they were convinced was definitely positively undoubtedly headed their way.

(Only to go to one of their most hated rivals for more $$$ at the first opportunity)

I can't see us getting more than a late pick for any of them.
There's always Richmond...
HAMPSON%20Shaun.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back