News Byrnes Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Byrnes today announced he will retire from AFL football.

Although he had a short time with us having a more memorable career with Geelong, and wasn't much of a favourite with us supporters, i wish Byrnes all the best post football and good luck in pursing a coaching career in the industry. Thank you for the for the 23 matches you gave the melbourne football club

Source: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-30/byrnes-announces-his-retirement

In either 2005 or 2006 when I was midway through high school, I messaged Byrnes on myspace (lol) asking him to wish my friend who is a mad cats fan a happy birthday. He happily obliged, and respected him ever since. Was never going to be a great player for us, but as a two time premiership player over his career he has done pretty damn well.

Will never see what he actually brought to the club which I suspect was more off than onfield
Thanks boooouuuuurrrrrns
Yeah i think Byrnes, Rodan and maybe Dawes were really bought in for their off field leadership rather than their onfield performance. Lets not forget the abysmal culture that was at Melbourne off field

Yeah i think Byrnes, Rodan and maybe Dawes were really bought in for their off field leadership rather than their onfield performance. Lets not forget the abysmal culture that was at Melbourne off field

Apparently we signed a nice guy and a genial sense of humour. Totally worth it.
And a bung knee and some heart-warming press conferences.

Byrnes did nothing noteworthy for us but it's not his fault Neeld recruited him. Keep getting them cheques Byrnesy. I hate Mark Neeld.

He was really good against Stkilda in the 2009 GF, providing so much needed run for the cats on the wet day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back