Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...x-its-many-flaws/story-fnia3m9p-1226841181271

Get ****** Cornes you ******!
Australia is a great country...but I swear we are the only country in the world (As well as USA) that don't embrace the World game. Why don't these AFL 'experts' piss off and just worry about their own game. I'm a huge fan of both Aussie Rules and football but if Football is criticized by AFL people I would defend it like hell and even criticize Aussie Rules back, Since Football is #1 in my eyes. It's the world game after all.

Also does anyone else cringe at that new Fox Footy commerical?? You know the one where all the experts are in Heaven and Eddie calls AFL "The greatest game in the world". It's a great sport but you have to be kidding me calling it the best. By far football is the best game in the world followed by basketball.
You realise 'best' in this context is a subjective term?

I literally LOL'D!

1965061_614211325341218_3985134733256082800_n.jpg

******* bogan!!

In honestly though there used to be a massive amount of xenophobia in relation to soccer. That has died down quite considerably with the sport becoming more mainstream in recent years.

Ones your typical right winged north shore type who is probably racist and the other a typical Melbourne inner city hipster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You managed to extract his political affiliation from that? The man hates as. football, alot of people from different backgrounds and political affiliations do, and vice versa.

Andrew Bolt for example supports Holland and has stated that he prefers the game over aussie rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'll place this here, What a pathetic pointless article getting sick of these AFL paranoid journos.

Ali Clarke: Soccer will never be more popular than Aussie Rules

IF I tell you soccer will never, ever be the No. 1 sport in Australia will you throw a flare at me?

OK, that?s a bit unfair, but my sentiment doesn?t change and trust me, I?ve tried everything to alter it.

I?ve been to games, I?ve watched it on TV, I?ve even played (although being 183cm and only slightly faster than a panda meant being stuck as goal keeper for a season, so granted, that probably wasn?t the best introduction).

Yes, soccer is the most popular team sport in the world.

Yes, it?s played in over 200 countries.

But show me someone who hasn?t found it dead boring at some stage and I?ll show you someone whose pants may actually catch fire.

There?s a reason soccer is the lowest-attended football code in this country.

LIVE chat with Ali Clarke

For sure you can get a dreary AFL match but, at least you?re still guaranteed a score.

I understand suggesting the world game will never beat Aussie Rules in and around the suburbs of Australia is likely to upset some, but let?s look at the facts.

Soccer is game built on people who, if they want to be any good when they grow up, must set their sights on disappearing overseas to play in the top flight competitions.

Once anyone has the talent you would pay big money to see regularly, they ironically disappear to go and make even bigger money elsewhere.

Granted, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell and co have shown enormous pride in wearing the green and gold, and Aloisiiiiiiiiiiii should be added to the Oxford Dictionary under ?moments that stopped the nation? but, let?s face it, actually getting the best on our shores to play once in a World Cup moon is not enough.

When Adelaide United hosted La Liga side Malaga at Adelaide Oval last Friday, 23,254 turned up.

While many said it was a triumph let?s not forget, Liverpool loanee Luis Alberto and ex-Manchester City and Bayern Munich star Roque Santa Cruz were part of soccer?s debut at the Adelaide Oval on a Friday night.

I say only 23,254 turned up.

Last season Adelaide United averaged just 11,225 at their games which put them around the middle of the A-league pack.

Even taking away the novelty of the Power?s and Crows? new playpen, there?s still vast discrepancies.

Participation rate is normally a soccer fan?s immediate foil to these arguments and granted more people are playing the game at a recreational level, however, in an excellent article by Bonita Mersiades for Sports Business Insider, she shows that all is not necessarily what it seems.

While yes more are still playing soccer than football, when comparing data between 2003 and 2009 it becomes clear the number of boys playing has resisted the national trend and actually decreased over time with the figures propped up by a 50.9 per cent increase of girls playing the sport.

Meanwhile, Aussie Rules participation increased by 21.9 per cent and has the highest participation rate in five of the eight states and territories, including South Australia.

But most of all, while soccer is a wonderful celebration of multiculturalism, it also applauds and perpetuates the antithesis of Australian sport?s culture.

The idea of taking a dive is just too unpalatable for many brought up on a sense of fair dinkum play, yet time and time again we see it used as a tactic by the very best.

As a parent protective of my kids? bodies and brains I?m supposed to jump at the chance to get them chasing the round ball, but frankly I?d rather they engage in a bit more rough and tumble than take inspiration from those who manufacture such an embarrassing way to win.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/al...han-aussie-rules/story-fnelctok-1227006286520

But most of all, while soccer is a wonderful celebration of multiculturalism, it also applauds and perpetuates the antithesis of Australian sport?s culture.

The idea of taking a dive is just too unpalatable for many brought up on a sense of fair dinkum play, yet time and time again we see it used as a tactic by the very best.

It's only internationals who dive.... from what I've seen, Aussie football is very anti-diving (except for Berisha in the GF a couple of years ago).

It's only internationals who dive.... from what I've seen, Aussie football is very anti-diving (except for Berisha in the GF a couple of years ago).

Well technically Berisha's wasn't a dive he did get clipped, through he did over exaggerate the contact to try and fool the ref which worked.

Every few months there seems to be a bogan feminist coming out with these similar articles, its obviously a tactic by the scared media.

Speaking of which

While yes more are still playing soccer than football, when comparing data between 2003 and 2009 it becomes clear the number of boys playing has resisted the national trend and actually decreased over time with the figures propped up by a 50.9 per cent increase of girls playing the sport.

Funny how she just distorts her argument on participation rates to essentially say girls don't count!!

Last edited:
The hysteria of the anti soccer brigade is only matched by the hysteria of people like those in this thread who react like hysterical children when someone criticises it.

Soccer is coming from a long, long way back. And it has come a MASSIVE way over the last 10 years or so. But there's still a long way to go. This will be a generational change, maybe even two. Reacting like hysterical children whenever the media attack it won't help. Papers like the Herald Sun exist to make money, not to report the news. Get over it.

The change is happening. It will come. But soccer fans who whinge about "AFL paranoid journos" are not part of the solution. You're part of the problem. Screaming "AFL fans get thrown out too!" when they do articles about incidents at A-League games is pointless. Yes, they do. But for the most part AFL crowds have a reputations of being safe and family friendly. Soccer crowds? No, they do not. Yes, I'm sure you can tell countless stories of taking your children and having a grand time. But the perception is that there's still a dangerous, unsafe element in soccer crowds. Flogs like those WSW fans for example, they set the cause back a long way and perpetuate the perception.

Tl;dr - The change is coming. We're a long way from being there yet. Harden the * up.

The hysteria of the anti soccer brigade is only matched by the hysteria of people like those in this thread who react like hysterical children when someone criticises it.

Soccer is coming from a long, long way back. And it has come a MASSIVE way over the last 10 years or so. But there's still a long way to go. This will be a generational change, maybe even two. Reacting like hysterical children whenever the media attack it won't help. Papers like the Herald Sun exist to make money, not to report the news. Get over it.

The change is happening. It will come. But soccer fans who whinge about "AFL paranoid journos" are not part of the solution. You're part of the problem. Screaming "AFL fans get thrown out too!" when they do articles about incidents at A-League games is pointless. Yes, they do. But for the most part AFL crowds have a reputations of being safe and family friendly. Soccer crowds? No, they do not. Yes, I'm sure you can tell countless stories of taking your children and having a grand time. But the perception is that there's still a dangerous, unsafe element in soccer crowds. Flogs like those WSW fans for example, they set the cause back a long way and perpetuate the perception.

Tl;dr - The change is coming. We're a long way from being there yet. Harden the **** up.

Its more that the negative coverage that the game gets is disproportionate to the actual issues that it faces. I agree that violence is a problem, buts its not anywhere near as big as the papers make out, and in general they fail to report to the actions that the FFA has taken to address it. The reason why people get upset is that they feel soccer is unfairly targeted by some who report on it, relative to other sports which have similar issues. That ends up feeding the reputational problem that it has, although I'd argue that most people don't even buy into the "dangerous" crowd idea anymore anyway.

Its more that the negative coverage that the game gets is disproportionate to the actual issues that it faces. I agree that violence is a problem, buts its not anywhere near as big as the papers make out, and in general they fail to report to the actions that the FFA has taken to address it. The reason why people get upset is that they feel soccer is unfairly targeted by some who report on it, relative to other sports which have similar issues. That ends up feeding the reputational problem that it has, although I'd argue that most people don't even buy into the "dangerous" crowd idea anymore anyway.
Of course it is. Because that's the perception. That's changing. There's much less now then there used to be. But the change will take time.

Back