News Geelong dual-premiership player Shannon Byrnes retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I always had a soft spot for the little guy, saddened he was cruelled by injuries at the Dees. Hopefully he has real success in a coaching role.

Funny bloke too...

Mate of mine (via twitter, and who shall remain unnamed):

Mate: @shannonBoourns who could forget the 23rd best player at Geelong!

then Shannon responded via direct message:
shannon.jpg
Edit: not meant to be a rip into Shannon post, my mates a hawks supporter after all

Last edited:
Was always a good bloke around the club :) And in 09... dat last quarter on the wing.
datass.gif

Best of luck Booo-erns! To his credit he really worked his backside off in the off season after 2008, particularly on his scoring accuracy. One look at his stats via AFL Tables gives you some appreciation on his hard work.
Goal kicking accuracy:
2006 - 21%
2007 - 38%
2008 - 44%
2009 - 74%

Best of luck Booo-erns! To his credit he really worked his backside off in the off season after 2008, particularly on his scoring accuracy. One look at his stats via AFL Tables gives you some appreciation on his hard work.
Goal kicking accuracy:
2006 - 21%
2007 - 38%
2008 - 44%
2009 - 74%

I remember him kicking 5 goals (IIRC) against Collingwood at the G.

Classic case of a bloke who punched well above his weight and did an awesome job for both the club and himself. Like Rooke and Ottos tackles in 07 and 09, his efforts in the 4th QTR 09 GF on that outer side wing burning off Clarke and then stopping dead , turning him inside out and going back inside on his left will remaining classic Geelong moments.

All from a Rookie listed player too.

Would be very happy to see him back at the Cattery should he choose to get involved with the VFL side a la Troy Selwood.

Go Catters

I mean no disrespect to Shagga (as mum calls him :drunk:). He would be the perfect bloke to take the newly drafted under his wing and show them what to do!

I have a lot of respect for Shagga Byrnes and he should be proud of what he was able to achieve as an AFL player, particularly Geelong. He may have been a bit of a fringe player for parts of his career, but the numbers don't lie: he was an outstanding player for us in 2009 and 2010.

Obviously a very highly respected player by his teammates as well. Cats TV has never recovered from his departure, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still chuckle every time I see his 'boourns' twitter handle. All the best Byrnesie!

I reckon if he was five years younger he'd fit more easily in this Geelong team than the team back then. Heck the fact he was in the 2007 and 2009 teams on premiership day says a heck for his talent. And yes, Cats TV has barely had a look in from me the past few years.

Got on my nerves a little early days, but he came through in the end and was a pretty solid player in the end.

Like everyone my best memories of him were the last quarter of the 09 granny and the bag he kicked against freo over there.

Good bloke and wish him all the best.

PS who's in charge of our website and the AFL one? ******* rubbish. Could have given him more of a write up....

i will always remember him as the man who signed my "the mission book"

i asked him if i can get a photo with him, i told him i wanted a pic of me and him standing side by side flexing our biceps, he said he never had that request before, we both lol'd

peace out shagga and well done

Would love for Shagga to come back to the club even if it is to just take over Down at Kardina Park for the website.
Well done on a career in which you got everything out of yourself that you could Shan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back