Leigh Matthews - random footage

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably Luke Hodge?

in terms of presence, I think you are right, Hodge is probably the best comparison

in terms of size, build, possessions and goals I think Ablett Jnr will be a good comparison when he retires

Matthews averaged 22 disposals and 2.76 goals per game over a 330 game career
Ablett has averaged 25 disposals and 1.34 goals per game. As he ages, he is likely to see out his career as a small forward which will see his disposal count drop and his goal average increase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Fyfe. Brilliant overhead, can play anywhere, kicks goals, elite extractor.

Nathan Fyfe is athletic, tall but no where near as prolific around goals as what Leigh was.

Brad Johnson often reminded me of Matthews as he was extremely good overhead for his size, could rack up 20-25 touches a game but also slot upwards of 40, 50 goals a year on a regular basis.
He just wasn't as tough as Matthews, well he was tough but he didn't have that presence about him like a Byron Pickett had when he was in the vicinity.

Tom Rockliff today would be similar but he doesn't kick 2 or 3 goals a game.

who would be the closest thing to matthews now?

Vickery punch on Dean Cox the closest I can think of.

In terms of football ability though, Vickery not in ball park with Lethal Leigh.
Maybe a cross between Gary Ablett jnr and Selwood in terms of nous and ability to play the game.

Vickery punch on Dean Cox the closest I can think of.

In terms of football ability though, Vickery not in ball park with Lethal Leigh.
Maybe a cross between Gary Ablett jnr and Selwood in terms of nous and ability to play the game.

Need someone with serious marking ability as well.

Need someone with serious marking ability as well.

Given Gazza's Dad had exactly that, I feel sure if Gazza junior plays as a regular forward in his twilight years as Lethal Leigh did that you would see his marking ability would be at least as good as Leigh Matthews. The apple has not fallen far from the tree with Gazza junior so no reason to not expect he would be a strong mark for his size.

Given Gazza's Dad had exactly that, I feel sure if Gazza junior plays as a regular forward in his twilight years as Lethal Leigh did that you would see his marking ability would be at least as good as Leigh Matthews. The apple has not fallen far from the tree with Gazza junior so no reason to not expect he would be a strong mark for his size.

I can see him kicking 60-80 a year in this role

No, Ablett Jnr has never been a great overhead mark as a forward. He is certainly different from his father in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back