Draft Profile Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Thought I may as well get this going with my write-up for Jayden Laverde from the BF phantom draft thread as well as a few other bits and pieces. He's a really intriguing prospect who, realistically, could go anywhere from pick 5 to pick 20ish, depending on how high a club sees his ceiling being.

Jayden Laverde
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Utility

Strengths: The biggest thing with Jayden is that he's truly versatile - short of the ruck, he can play anywhere on the ground to a high level. Laverde is a brilliant kick off both sides of the body, pulling off excellent passes and setting up his teammates more often than not. He has good defensive awareness without it necessarily being the best part of his game, which enables him to play in the back half and put his kicking skills to good use. He reads the play very well and peels off his man when necessary, taking intercept possessions and really hurting the opposition the other way. Complemented by this is his pace. Laverde is not a truly explosive runner, but he has some real breakaway pace that allows him to break the lines and gain an extra few metres for his side. This, combined with his agility and awareness, makes him quite a difficult player to catch. It also makes him effective on the lead, especially up forward. He creates separation on defenders with ease, especially if he is given a head start due to improper defensive positioning or poor awareness. He's also a good overhead mark with excellent ability one-on-one, putting his size to good use and allowing him to compete if he doesn't get out on a lead.

Through the midfield he plays predominantly as an outside receiver, and it is a role he does exceptionally well. His athleticism commonly allows him more time and space than you'd like to give such a good kick, and his awareness and footy IQ aid him to peel off and get in a position to do some real damage. His contested game isn't brilliant but I see it projecting as a real strength in the future, with both his ability at ground level and his bigger body contributing. He puts his height to good use and is able to grab those connecting marks, or to be a good option on the kick-out.

In short, it's his versatility - combined with his excellent skills - that puts him over the line for me.

What he needs to work on: His contested game is probably the first area of improvement. He's not terrible by any means but it's not at a level where you can consider it a genuine strength. He will win his own ball when he has to, but he's not the kind of player you would chuck on-ball in the dying stages of a close game. At the moment he's that pacy outside runner that gives you some creativity and flair going through the midfield, but for him to continue to progress his game you want him to become that sort of player that you can totally rely on inside and out. He has the tools, he just has to work at them.

Secondly, I imagine the club that selects him will be quick to reel in his flair. Not to drop it completely - as it's what makes his game unique - but as somebody that likely begins his career running off half back he can't take the dangerous option as often as he does. At the moment he can try to push past his limitations a bit too often and it can result in shanked kicks or poor decisions, which have left his team vulnerable to opposition scores off turnovers. You don't want to take that tendency to be dangerous with possession away from him - as, more often than not, his intentions work out - but it does need to be limited to fit more into team 'policy.'

Laverde is prone to inconsistency and fade outs during games, however this is something I see being ironed out relatively quickly. A lot of the time it just seems to be a lack of concentration however endurance may play a part. It will take some work but I can see him being able to improve this significantly over a period of time. The beauty with Laverde is that he is a reliable option defensively, meaning that even if he isn't at his best offensively, his opponent rarely gets totally off the leash.

Past that, for me, it is simply just continuing to put some muscle on that frame to aid him further inside and around the ground.

------------------

Really nice mark taken by Jayden in round 14 of the TAC Cup this year:

And a highlights video, courtesy of Skippos (these are fantastic by the way mate, kudos :thumbsu: ):

Some articles:
Western Jets star Jayden Laverde a contender

Western Jet Jayden Laverde shines, lands all-Australian selection

Appreciate the write-up Dannnnnnnnnn, and definitely the player I'm keen to see go at our pick if we don't move it on (as long as the likes of Durdin, Wright, etc are taken, which I'm assuming they will be).

I'd be fairly confident in the manner we've been managing and developing players in the last 2-3 years to cater to his needs - in terms of developing his inside game he'd be coming to the right club, we've seen with Macrae and Stringer the ability of the coaching staff to reel in flair without killing it, and with time he'd develop consistency in his game, especially in an AFL environment.

I suppose the biggest attraction is the height on him - fits in with a tallish midfield group if he's spending time there, and I'd be confident in his ability aerially across half back/half forward which is where I'd expect him to spend quite a bit of time if he plays a lot of minutes at AFL level. It's good to hear that his run and spread is good at U/18 level, it's an area that isn't all that easy to teach and that we're lacking in a little bit.

I'd be thrilled to get him to the Dogs, but I'll be watching closely, wherever he ends up.

Nice write up D. The more I see and read up about Laverde the more I hope we pick him up.

Any more write ups to come for other draftees, especially mids?
I'm hoping to get a phantom draft up at some point before the draft, but at the minute no more planned apart from those I write for the Bigfooty phantom draft trial. If I get a proper phantom up I'll tag you in if I remember. :thumbsu:

Some have doubts over his ability to find the ball. People see his height, speed and markin abilty and think he's the next Macrae or Bontempelli but I don't think he has their ball winning nous, I'm not sure he becomes a midfielder at AFL level.

Some have doubts over his ability to find the ball. People see his height, speed and markin abilty and think he's the next Macrae or Bontempelli but I don't think he has their ball winning nous, I'm not sure he becomes a midfielder at AFL level.
Yeah, I think this dictates where he goes. Personally I see him as having the attributes to develop that inside game, but completely acknowledge that at this point it's not a genuine strength of his. I can understand the concerns some have, but I'm not overly concerned about it.

At the very least I see him becoming a high production utility that gives some run and creative ball use on the outside, which still makes him a very valuable piece. I think a club that believes they can develop his game inside the contest will pull the trigger early.

Fair point, but both those guys developed their 'ball winning' pretty late in the U18 piece to be honest - I think if he continues to develop he'll go high.

Going purely with stats here but Bontempelli averaged 20.5 touches at TAC and 14 in the champs. Laverde averages 18 at TAC (don't have yesterday's stats yet) and 18.5 touches in the champs.

Completely different type to Bonti or Macrae neither of whom have his athleticism but he lacks the nous of Bont 'in the phonebox' or Macrae's sheer ability to harvest disposal. I see an Isaac Smith who is perhaps better over head and exceptionally clean off both feet. A lot to like as a player but I don't see why he has sky-rocketed past someone like Weller who for mine has displayed a lot more ability around the stoppages without dominating games as you'd like yet.

Completely different type to Bonti or Macrae neither of whom have his athleticism but he lacks the nous of Bont 'in the phonebox' or Macrae's sheer ability to harvest disposal. I see an Isaac Smith who is perhaps better over head and exceptionally clean off both feet. A lot to like as a player but I don't see why he has sky-rocketed past someone like Weller who for mine has displayed a lot more ability around the stoppages without dominating games as you'd like yet.

Its all in the eye of the beholder i spose, for instance you guys would benifit more picking up Laverde then Weller because you already have libba, Macrae Bont, etc. Griffen needs a bit more help on the outside. Personally id love him at the baggers plenty to work with here.

Its all in the eye of the beholder i spose, for instance you guys would benifit more picking up Laverde then Weller because you already have libba, Macrae Bont, etc. Griffen needs a bit more help on the outside. Personally id love him at the baggers plenty to work with here.
Weller isn't Brock McLean. The highlight of his game his still his work on the outside.

Weller isn't Brock McLean. The highlight of his game his still his work on the outside.

I agree, Weller is a great prospect - in fact I'd be pretty happy for Melbourne to take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the look of Laverde. Looks like he become an awesome tall inside/outside mid ala Pendlebury with his height, disposal and pace all very good. Would love him at the Pies, we're in desperate need of his type.

I really like the look of Laverde. Looks like he become an awesome tall inside/outside mid ala Pendlebury with his height, disposal and pace all very good. Would love him at the Pies, we're in desperate need of his type.
But you will get Darcy Moore instead

I think he means if Beams gets traded for pick 5 etc.

Correct. Petracca and Brayshaw will be gone by 5 but Laverde will likely be there and I think with some physical development he will become an awesome player. Could well end up one of the 2 best mids in the draft, has the makings anyway.

Correct. Petracca and Brayshaw will be gone by 5 but Laverde will likely be there and I think with some physical development he will become an awesome player. Could well end up one of the 2 best mids in the draft, has the makings anyway.
Nah Collingwood ain't getting pick 5 now

Nah Collingwood ain't getting pick 5 now

Looks to be the case. Will be watching the kid closely regardless, has all the tools to make it. A lot will depend on which club he lands at and how he's developed, injuries too I guess. I also really like Wigg, Mckenzie and Kietel too out of the 5-25 selections in this draft, though Wigg may go later.

I can see the Pies drafting Laverde with pick 5. GWS will look at him also with their 3 picks in top 10. GCFC would consider him at 8.

This guy will be snapped up between picks 5 - 10.

I can see the Pies drafting Laverde with pick 5. GWS will look at him also with their 3 picks in top 10. GCFC would consider him at 8.

In an ideal world Petracca would tell the other clubs ahead of us in the draft that he's only interested in playing for the Pies. I'm thinking Laverde looks more likely though and I'd be happy to see us take him. Really classy but also has a burst of pace and a bit of freak about him.

Giants might have to pull the trigger and take a potential matchwinner before loading up on potential tall defenders. Laverde, Lever and Durdin. :drunk:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back