Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are flying high, I think. 4 consecutive wins and an outside chance of 9th.

Seriously though, yet another pathetic season. You wouldn't think 4 wins should be time for celebration, but it's been over 14 years since they did better.

The last time Richmond won 5 in a row was Rounds 8-12, 2000! That's pathetic. Since then, Melbourne have had streaks of 7, 5, 6, 5 and 6 wins. Even Gold Coast have won 5 in a row this year.

When Richmond makes finals, I think most people are happy to finally see them there. But such an event should not fill anyone with confidence. It's almost 40 years since Richmond made finals in consecutive years. It's depressing.

Last edited:
Richmond are flying high, I think. 4 consecutive wins and an outside chance of 9th.

Seriously though, yet another pathetic season. You wouldn't think 4 wins should be time for celebration, but it's been over 14 years since they did better.

The last time Richmond won 5 in a row was Rounds 8-12, 2000! That's pathetic. Since then, Melbourne have had streaks of 7, 5, 6, 5 and 6 wins. Even Gold Coast have won 5 in a row this year.

When Richmond makes finals, I think most people are happy to finally see them there. But such an event should not fill anyone with confidence. It's almost 40 years since Richmond made finals in consecutive years. It's depressing.
It's staggering to considering those facts when making the finals has been pretty much a toss of the coin chance for most of that period.

I would just hate to be a Richmond supporter. Each year filled with so much promise, often it's just a few rounds before people start looking to the following year. You wonder how many 5-Year Plans are needed for the club to rise from the ranks of mediocrity. A streak of wins is just a meaningless stat, you can still go 18-4 without winning 5 in a row.

You mention Carlton's finals record of late, even given their list decimation of the 2000s. Regular finals has to be the aim for all clubs. 3 years out of 10 should be a minimal expectation, factoring in the good times with the bad. But Richmond (like Fitzroy) has made the finals just 4 times since 1980 when Richmond won their last flag.

I would not be surprised if Richmond finish 10-12 and it be considered "not bad, could have been worse".

I would just hate to be a Richmond supporter. Each year filled with so much promise, often it's just a few rounds before people start looking to the following year. You wonder how many 5-Year Plans are needed for the club to rise from the ranks of mediocrity. A streak of wins is just a meaningless stat, you can still go 18-4 without winning 5 in a row.

You mention Carlton's finals record of late, even given their list decimation of the 2000s. Regular finals has to be the aim for all clubs. 3 years out of 10 should be a minimal expectation, factoring in the good times with the bad. But Richmond (like Fitzroy) has made the finals just 4 times since 1980 when Richmond won their last flag.

I would not be surprised if Richmond finish 10-12 and it be considered "not bad, could have been worse".

After doing a lot right in the last four years, this season has been worse than most of the last ~30. Many of us are extremely dark on the club, and even an unlikely run of nine wins to end the year wouldn't salvage it. But it's worth bearing in mind that no club has improved its win tally five years in succession.

List management is an evolving science. It used to be accepted that you'd work your way up to the top bracket, have a window of opportunity for a few years, then fall back near the bottom and rebuild. Now it's all about sustainability, with clubs like Geelong leading the way.

Five years is not enough to right an on-field, financial and cultural malaise like Richmond's. But all is not lost. It's not an old list and we don't have a heavy reliance on our most senior players. As long as the club gets back on track next year, I'll forgive this year's disaster. Still some problems on the horizon - the depth of our u23's is highly suspect, and the quality of our assistants is being questioned. But I'd class it as a failure if Richmond didn't reach, say, three of the next four finals series.

Last edited:
Where Richmond absolutely excels is the loyalty of their supporters. How they have 66000 members I simply do not know. Imagine if Richmond made top 4 three years in a row, Eddie would be getting defensive about which club is #1 in the land. Richmond v Essendon in Round 20 should be huge. Richmond could be a game outside the 8 with 3 rounds to go and needing to topple the Swans in Round 23 to finish 8th.

Last edited:
Adelaide scored 105 today, at home, yet still lost rather convincingly to West Coast

In 1976, South Melbourne hosted Geelong at the Lake Oval and scored 153 points. But they lost.

The very next time they met there, South Melbourne scored 155 points. But they lost yet again!

Essendon and Adelaide losing, Richmond and West Coast winning. The race for the top 8 is still very much live.

Next week against Essendon, Richmond are aiming for 6 wins in a row. Last time they did that was to open the 1995 season.

Silly question, but Brodie Murdoch tonight had 0 kicks, 0 handballs, 0 disposals, yet 1 contested possession.
Could someone please explain how this is possible? Thanks.

Silly question, but Brodie Murdoch tonight had 0 kicks, 0 handballs, 0 disposals, yet 1 contested possession.
Could someone please explain how this is possible? Thanks.
Took 'possession' but didn't 'dispose' of the football.

For example, he may have taken possession and run out of bounds or been locked up in a tackle.

Took 'possession' but didn't 'dispose' of the football.

For example, he may have taken possession and run out of bounds or been locked up in a tackle.
That scenario would be quite unusual, as the possession is usually only given when the player does dispose of the ball in some way, or has clear possession but is then run down. Perhaps he was given a free kick but someone else got the advantage or the quarter ended? I see that he is credited with a free kick for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That scenario would be quite unusual, as the possession is usually only given when the player does dispose of the ball in some way. Perhaps he was given a free kick but someone else got the advantage or the quarter ended? I see that he is credited with a free kick for.
Is it? I didn't think so.

The other option is he wins the ball/free kick but the siren sounds.

Is it? I didn't think so.

The other option is he wins the ball/free kick but the siren sounds.
You got in before my edit! ;-)

The original Ted Hopkins edict was that possession and disposals would match except for those rare discrepancies like ground kicks and advantage frees. So if a player gets possession but has limited time to do anything with it they would deliberately not call the ball-get at all. The fact that possessions and disposals are so closely aligned makes me think that is still the case.

If we define success as making and winning finals, Brad Scott and Damien Hardwick are well on their way to becoming the longest serving unsuccessful coaches in history.

The table below will be correct after 22 H&A games in 2015. I doubt North Melbourne will make a prelim this year, so Brad Scott's stats will be one of two listed.
- Bill Stephen coached his only finals win in game 235 (game 191 with Fitzroy)
- Jack Hale coached his only finals win in game 137
- Brad Scott's chance at his first win will be game 112
- Brad Scott and Damien Hardwick are both contracted until the end of 2016

| Teams | Games | Finals
\ Bill Stephen | FI ES | 258 | 1 from 2
\ Jack Hale | SY HW | 174 | 1 from 2
\ Bob McCaskill | NM HW | 138 | 0 from 1
\ Alec Hall | SK ME RI HW | 137 | 0 from 0
\ Brad Scott | NM | 135 | 1 from 3*
\ Brad Scott | NM | 134 | 0 from 2*
\ Ken Judge | HW WC | 133 | 0 from 1
\ Damien Hardwick | RI | 133 | 0 from 1
\ Arthur Olliver | FO | 131 | 0 from 3
\ Robert Shaw | FI AD | 130 | 0 from 0
\ Paddy Scanlan | FO SM NM | 126 | 0 from 0
\ Alan Killigrew | SK NM | 124 | 0 from 0
\ Bob Skilton | SM ME | 123 | 0 from 0

Last edited:
Jack Riewoldt has now gone 40 consecutive games without being held goalless. The last players to do this at each club were

Brisbane - Warwick Capper 1988 (incl 29 gms with Sydney)
Carlton - Harry Vallence 1937
Collingwood - Peter McKenna 1970
Essendon - Matthew Lloyd 2007
Geelong - Gary Ablett snr 1994
Hawthorn - Lance Franklin 2008
Melbourne - Garry Lyon 1995
North Melbourne - Malcolm Blight 1982
Richmond - Michael Roach 1982
St.Kilda - Stephen Milne 2013
Sydney - Tony Lockett 1996
Western Bulldogs - Simon Beasley 1987
Fitzroy - Bernie Quinlan 1984

Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, Port, West Coast, University - never

Last edited:
I was curious to see which team in the Final Eight era had the worst record and finished 7th.

Footscray in 1995 are the only side to finish 7th with less than 12 wins: 11-1-10.

Chris Judd played 134 games for West Coast.

As of today, he has also played 134 games for Carlton.

Harry Taylor had 18 marks tonight to 3/4 time, but only managed 1 more in the last quarter.

4 years since a player took 20 or more marks. The record is 24.

Had a great chance to get right into the mix: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/playershi.html#G02

Funny how many of those places Joel Bowden occupies. That was back in the Tigers' era of constant rushed behinds and cheap kicks around the defensive 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back