Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer has the softer hands and deft touch when rucking I will go with him.

Happy with Longer's ruckwork, with some of his hitouts to advantage a hell of a lot better than what we were used to from Big Boy and with a much bigger leap than I was expecting, but he is going to need to start having some sort of presence around the ground (ie, some marks and possessions) at some point in the not too distant future.

Will both be guns. Very different.

I think Longer will have the better pure ruckwork, but Grundy will add more around the ground. Tough one.

Ch.7 commentators go on and on, and on about Grundy. Still to see why. Longer please.

Well he Offers a Contest all the Time. Is like another MidFielder after the Tap. Can take a Strong Mark and his Ruckwork is Underrated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longer beat Nicnat today great effort .

He most certainly did not. Longer was in almost every single ruck contest for St Kilda while Naitanui split them fairly evenly with Lycett. Longer did have one extra hit out, but Naitanui won a far greater percentage that he was involved in.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have thought Longer won that battle. I thought he nullified Nic Nat's influence at the bounces and ball-up's pretty well though. Billy's biggest asset is his very big leap, so that meant that Nic wasn't able to just jump way higher than him, like he does to so many others and as a result it was 6 hitouts to advantage to Nic and 4 to Billy, for the match.

Been hearing that Billy hasn't exactly been one to train the house down in the past and that he may have been thinking a bit too highly of himself, but that he was given a bit of a wake-up call by the coaching staff in the mid season review and that he's since pulled up his socks a bit off-field and started to do extra sessions and all that, so maybe that will be the making of him down the track, if true.

He certainly needs to get his tank bigger, so that he can win some more of the ball around the ground and put himself in more marking contests (like McEvoy did for us so well), as so far for us he's been almost invisible around the ground, except for during ball-ups and throw-ins.

He's got a strong and safe pair of hands, so he just needs to start putting himself in marking positions more often and clunking them, then he'll be of real value to us. If he's only just starting to pull his finger out now though, he's probably a good couple of years off being ready to really show us what he can do on a consistent basis and really influence games of footy.

Last edited:
Well he Offers a Contest all the Time. Is like another MidFielder after the Tap. Can take a Strong Mark and his Ruckwork is Underrated
How many midfielders average 10 touches a game? So yeah nah not like another midfielder.
Strong markers generally take more then 2 a game yeah? So either your team isn't kicking it to him, he isn't getting to the contest or he isn't a strong mark.

How many midfielders average 10 touches a game? So yeah nah not like another midfielder.
Strong markers generally take more then 2 a game yeah? So either your team isn't kicking it to him, he isn't getting to the contest or he isn't a strong mark.

Grundy gets the same treatment that Kruezer gets from Carlton fans. Claims they are another midfielder, you point out low possession counts, they then claim about blocks, bullocking work that can't be measured in stats, and that they also "clunk" marks around the ground.

Same supporters that knock Nic Nat, even though he averages far more contested possessions, has equivalent or better DE% despite being more heavily weighted on contested possessions, and he takes more contested marks.

Not to mention Kruezer and Grundy can't actually jump so don't win hitouts to advantage anywhere near as much.

Grundy gets the same treatment that Kruezer gets from Carlton fans. Claims they are another midfielder, you point out low possession counts, they then claim about blocks, bullocking work that can't be measured in stats, and that they also "clunk" marks around the ground.

Same supporters that knock Nic Nat, even though he averages far more contested possessions, has equivalent or better DE% despite being more heavily weighted on contested possessions, and he takes more contested marks.

Not to mention Kruezer and Grundy can't actually jump so don't win hitouts to advantage anywhere near as much.
I call it the Josh Fraser syndrome.

Ch.7 seem to have shut up ?

There banging on about Jarrod Witts now.

Jealous are you? Pies have the two of the absolute best young rucks coming through the ranks, and we aint seen Mason Cox yet.

I'm rapt Peptidon didn't trade Bellchambers last year, absolute spud. Ryder is a gun and coming right into his prime though, goes missing in big games and mentally weak at times so he will be the reason you fail in finals.

Ryders window for his best footy will be small as it's taken ages and relies not on strength but his athleticism, once that goes and it will be downhill from here, Bombers will be desperate fro rucks.

Pies will have Witts/Grundy that's gunna be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back