Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

But who would you pick over him?
Apeness, Kepler and Gumby could all be considered. Somebody that has at least one defensive bone in their body anyway.

Pav's in no way playing poorly. He still takes marks & kicks goals. He's run more up the ground this year than he has for a while. He's at least double teamed each game, if not triple teamed because of our lack of tall forwards & match ups. And all this with last year's best forward out of the team.

I wouldn't call him a special case, or more equal than others. I'd still call him best 22. Definitely best tall forward. Oh and lets not forget teams usually need their Captain. That should be classified as a position too. I mean if he was doing a terrible job at that then the team would've voted him out of the position by now.

More than anything, Mora paid the price for being a starter last week - he's simply not up to a full game and it was clearly proven last week.

I guess Ibbo is his replacement and that makes sense.

Now you're back in Ibbo, keep your body in one piece FFS so you can build some form.

We are just 1 x Walters away from our best 22

Add Walters and what a bloody strong team. My heart still tells me we are another tall forward away from a premiership though :( if we made the GF it would be against Sydney or Hawks I think and their talls will be the difference. Hope I'm wrong but we would need a lot more goals from our mids

Add Walters and what a bloody strong team. My heart still tells me we are another tall forward away from a premiership though :( if we made the GF it would be against Sydney or Hawks I think and their talls will be the difference. Hope I'm wrong but we would need a lot more goals from our mids
Walters, PAV, ballas, Mayne, Clarke, and 1 rotating mid is a very dangerous forward line. We just have to move the ball quickly.

No need to use such language mate, i was a member for 8years had to give it up as a newborn came into life and priorities changes for first year now am joining purple membership and tot in order to get priority for next year.
I reckon it's all the better that people who can't make it to games don't have full memberships - it opens up the opportunity for someone else to get a seat and attend. So good on you.

Pav's in no way playing poorly. He still takes marks & kicks goals. He's run more up the ground this year than he has for a while. He's at least double teamed each game, if not triple teamed because of our lack of tall forwards & match ups. And all this with last year's best forward out of the team.

I wouldn't call him a special case, or more equal than others. I'd still call him best 22. Definitely best tall forward. Oh and lets not forget teams usually need their Captain. That should be classified as a position too. I mean if he was doing a terrible job at that then the team would've voted him out of the position by now.
Nonsense, they're never going to vote him out. I hope he takes himself out of the running next season and just concentrates on his footy in his final year.

Agree here; it appears we are yet again without the elusive second tall this year. Bradley was injured and maybe even Gumbleton didn't recover in time...

The thing is a few guys like Mora look like missing out for the rest of the year but a change can always be made due to either injury or poor form. There's always the Brisbane game to throw a last ditch 2nd tall...

You never know, Mayne's form might drastically peak and Clarke might taking some forward speccy's, their raised intensity would take the heat off Pav and with Master Walters and Ballantyne yipping around it may do the trick.

If his conditioning is a liability (which it looked like it was to me) then the team can't carry him. He looked great in the first quarter of the Saints game... then mostly disappeared. If he's not up to scratch, then he plays WAFL. That's also pretty simple.

When his conditioning looks like he's capable of playing a role in the firsts, then he'll get a run there again. There's a chance we'll see Mora again later in the year, but his best chance is to go back to the WAFL, go batsh*t crazy and run his guts out there... and pick up more conditioning than he currently has. So that if there is an injury, he'll be in prime form to step up again if we need him.

True. But four needed to be cut to bring the four the match committee wanted into the team. Griff and Tabs were obvious. Sylvia and Mora were probably the next two poorest performed on the day, and neither really had the credits in the bank. Four touches in a full game is a problem for a flanker/mid.

He drifted out of the game due to ordinary disposal into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad with the selections. I was critical of most people having the perception that Sylvia would waltz in as best 22, some having him in our top tier players. This was not based on me not liking him as a player or that he did not have the ability, it was the fact that the list we had made it to a grand final so you have a list of players that contribute to get there, then you have improving and returning players from injury.

Admittedly, at this point in the season I thought Col would be a lock in the team as a starting player. He has shown some form, but below par.
He might find it hard getting back in the team.

As some have suggested here, every game from here is critical to even get a top 4 chance, and we have to win every game to sneak top 2, but that is unlikely now as I would expect us to drop one game from here, most likely Geelong away. Regardless, Carlton made Port look silly and they are hoping to get a spot in top 4 as well.

I am hoping for a solid win (above 30 points), and not give the selectors much room for movement for team selection from here in. Walters will be massive though, absolutely massive for us.

Apeness, Kepler and Gumby could all be considered. Somebody that has at least one defensive bone in their body anyway.

Kepler - I love Kep, he can co-exist with Pav.

Realistically, Gumby has kicked multiple goals (2) just once this whole season in the WAFL. Apeness will be great and impacted contests well, but could only manage a behind in his two senior games.

Neither of this output is comparable to a Pav running at 50% so it's hard to say he's getting any special treatment this year when it comes to selection.

I will bag anybody who isn't pulling their weight.

Even if his current form was his ceiling Pav is still easily pulling his weight relative to the options we have to replace him.

35 goals for the year is more than any of those replacements you named could manage, and none of them could drag in the contested marks he's still good for a few times a game.

He's not the star carrying the team any more, but he's still easily best 22.

Word on the grapevine is that Gumbelton will be named; and as I really don't want to be one of those douchebags who make unsubstantiated selection predictions the minute I find out it's false I'm deactivating my account.

man, u played a hunch & hung your u know whats on the line
so u were wrong
just admit it
get over it
u do add to this board

or have I misunderstood & this is a joke?

either way, the more Freo posters the better.

I might disagree with a few posts, but 4 sure many don't like many of mine
they even "pearce" my hide with barbs :p

catch u soon on here again soon i hope
:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back