News Mackay signs for 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind this move. Mackay in my mind will be in our best 25 players in this timeframe and you need at least this many good players to win a flag. And can I imagine Mackay being I a premiership lineup, yes. Perhaps as one of those 15 to 22 (but you need these guys).

Also, we can only speculate on the shape of his contract, but I would speculate they have front ended it with a nice kicker next year knowing they will need the space thereafter to retain danger, Sloane, tex, smith, crouch etc.

Correct.

He's ignored it in the sense of not taking it up, but not ignored it by not listening to other offers. He's had several offers from other clubs, primarily Victorian, so he certainly had the opportunity to leave the Crows and Adelaide to go back to his home state for potentially more money.

As you say, the wheeling and dealing behind the scenes would have been underway for some time now.

Is it not possible we were the highest offer?

Wow, those stats highlights how under achieving he has been for his entire career:

Never kicked 10 goals in a season.
Never averaged 10 kicks a game.

How is that even possible for someone that plays his position.

He was paid overs in his last contract, he should be on minimum wage for these next four years. Bloody FOUR years.

Great news.

The fact that we have Victorians like Hendo and Mackay committing long term is very pleasing to me.

He would be on very good money, not great money. I am completely happy with this deal and think it is a great show of faith by both parties. Good stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd feel pretty safe in saying not a single poster would have had him as delist material
To be fair, there probably was the odd poster that had him in the delist basket. I know a whole bunch of us have discussed him as trade bait at certain stages. Heck, until today I still would have had him in my top few players we should consider shopping around.

But W-W carries on as if he's the world's best talent scout and has never completely misjudged players, either by writing them off too early, or talking them up far too much, which is far, far, FAR from the truth. Everyone on here makes the wrong call sometimes, some more than others. W-W is just about the last guy who should be rubbing peoples noses in it when they make the wrong call. It's so tedious.

To be fair, there probably was the odd poster that had him in the delist basket. I know a whole bunch of us have discussed him as trade bait at certain stages. Heck, until today I still would have had him in my top few players we should consider shopping around.

But W-W carries on as if he's the world's best talent scout and has never completely misjudged players, either by writing them off too early, or talking them up far too much, which is far, far, FAR from the truth. Everyone on here makes the wrong call sometimes, some more than others. W-W is just about the last guy who should be rubbing peoples noses in it when they make the wrong call. It's so tedious.
Jacky Kossie Gumby say hello

I don't mind this

In a nutshell DMac his in our best 22, is a important run and carry player for us, he has put security ahead of money and his new contract is basically a + 3 years on his current term, not to mention $400k a year is below average of a player with his experience entering the peak form phase of his career

As long as it's a performance based 3+1 contract I'm all for this. Got to keep the speed we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back