Our last Melbourne final was in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus. Did I just login into an emos for cutting forum. Seriously, almost Richmond territory? I was one year old when Richmond last won a flag. Fitzroy have played in more finals in the last 30 years than Richmond FFS. We are the most spoiled supporters in the league and becoming the biggest sooks aswell.
i-got-nowhere-else-to-go-o.gif

Jesus. Did I just login into an emos for cutting forum. Seriously, almost Richmond territory? I was one year old when Richmond last won a flag. Fitzroy have played in more finals in the last 30 years than Richmond FFS. We are the most spoiled supporters in the league and becoming the biggest sooks aswell.
Last 13 years we have won 1 final, as has Richmond. How are we spoiled? Or are you still hanging on to the 90s?

We are glorified version of Richmond
G-l-o-r-i-f-i-e-d

Like glory holes

My little brother is 13. He has only seen 1 finals win.

Anyone who want nothing but success for this club is aces in my book.
* waiting and * the last 13 years.
You don't get a flag for feeling sorry for yourself.

It is only hand picked because we have finished our last era in 2000 (7 Prelims in a row).
If I include 2000 for example, Melbourne beat us and played in GF, so it's even worse for us.

It's hand picked to start when North stopped being very good, so it suits your purposes. It is not random.

Let's turn it the other way. North has had one bottom four finish in that same period. The clubs we are apparently in the same boat as have racked up this honour several times. There is no contest. Unless of course you are into the macho "15/16/17 losere every season" carry on, where everyone who doesn't win the flag is equally pathetic - although those types seem to expand to top four/finals wins when it suits them, to demonstrate North's inferiority to other clubs.

Anyone who, like me, was around for the 1990s has about another 20 years of "mediocrity" (being far from the worst, if not among the best) before they can start feeling shortchanged. Seven prelims in a row for three GFs and two flags. There are supporters of ten other clubs who would kill to have lived through anything like that.

pathetic really. The club for way too long have been satisfied with just doing ok.

The club seems all too happy with it self this year & yet it openly admits it doesn’t know why it’s so inconsistent and to add to that last year.... when we didn’t know why we kept losing close games. What do we know? Not a lot
I can count only 4 players that improved on 2013
I personally fear for this group as I am starting to believe they will never make it.

We had a chance in round 22 2008 to beat a s**t bottom 4 team Port Adelaide to secure the double chance for the 2nd year in a row but our players where sleeping in that game and also ****** it up for Shannon Grant
This type of result is really typical of what our club has dished up since our glory days have passed. We have shown an odd promise here or there, but when the crunch was on, invariably we let ourselves down.

It's hand picked to start when North stopped being very good, so it suits your purposes. It is not random.

Let's turn it the other way. North has had one bottom four finish in that same period. The clubs we are apparently in the same boat as have racked up this honour several times. There is no contest. Unless of course you are into the macho "15/16/17 losere every season" carry on, where everyone who doesn't win the flag is equally pathetic - although those types seem to expand to top four/finals wins when it suits them, to demonstrate North's inferiority to other clubs.

Anyone who, like me, was around for the 1990s has about another 20 years of "mediocrity" (being far from the worst, if not among the best) before they can start feeling shortchanged. Seven prelims in a row for three GFs and two flags. There are supporters of ten other clubs who would kill to have lived through anything like that.
Once again, I say to you that "hand picking" to me would be 2-3 seasons to suit my point. But when we are talking about the last 13 seasons of footy, it's hardly hand picking. It simply says that since our great era has finished in 2000, our finals record (including making them and doing something when we have made it) is nothing short of deplorable, and is up there with the likes of Melbourne and Richmond. I can't see how anyone can argue with the facts? Yes, they also had more bottom four finishes in that time. But as far as finals record is concerned, Melbourne is ahead of us, and Richmond marginally behind us.

I mean FFS, we can say that Melbourne has won more finals than us in 21 century. That sounds bad enough, considering the century is already 14 years old!

I want our club to become ruthless again. All the way from the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a chance in round 22 2008 to beat a s**t bottom 4 team Port Adelaide to secure the double chance for the 2nd year in a row but our players where sleeping in that game and also ****** it up for Shannon Grant

Not to mention losing the chance to finish third in 2000 by losing at home to the wooden spoon holding Pies in the tangerine shirts, putting us on a collision course with * in the worst day I've ever spent at the footy. Not to mention losing the unloseable game that mattered in 1998.

Every side has disappointing days and years. North supporters have endured fewer of them, and more happily memorable ones, in living memory than supporters of most clubs. It's just choosing to he negative to pretend otherwise.

This type of result is really typical of what our club has dished up since our glory days have passed. We have shown an odd promise here or there, but when the crunch was on, invariably we let ourselves down.
These "crunch" games aren't always seen as such prior to the event. I think that's a big part of the problem. They get ahead of themselves and imagine what will be 'once they win the game', but haven't actually done it. Like a player 'spending the ball' before marking it.

I reckon the team psychology, for a long time, has been one that comes out of the "move away from" mindset (away from what is undesirable) such as the response to 100 pt drubbings, vs the "move towards" something desirable. One is "push" based, the other "pull" or attraction based. In short, we seem more motivated by fear, less by desire. Doesn't apply in all instances, obviously, but I'm sensing a pattern.

In an interview today Ziebell hints that we played so called "safe footy" against Carlton instead of our normal game which involves plenty of risk talking. I think, to a large extent, that's been our problem over the years in key games that we needed to win.

Losses:
2002 v Melbourne: 84:122 (38 point loss)
2005 v Port at home: 77:164 (87 point loss) ** Attended
2007 v Geelong: 50:156 (106 point loss) ** Attended
2007 v Port: 46:133 (87 point loss)
2008 v Sydney 75:110 (35 point loss)
2012 v WC 66:162 (96 point loss) ** Attended

Win:
2007 v Hawthorn: 93:60
Add 2000 to this...

2000 v *essendon: 198:73 (125 point loss) ** Attended.
2000 v Hawthorn: 110: 100 (10 point win)
2000 v Melbourne: 156:106 (50 point loss)

If anyone 'gets' the misery of our recent finals record, it's me. Four losses, by an average of 103.5 points. :(:mad::cry: Anyone "beat" that?!

This on top of never having seen us win live in Melbourne. (An odd H/A game thrown in too). I've been denied the opportunity to sing the song with my tribal throng. Not happy Jan!

So, here's the rub. Looking to go to Tassie for the Crows game. See what the odds are for a Crows win. It's not Melbourne, but, you know...

Add 2000 to this...

2000 v *essendon: 198:73 (125 point loss) ** Attended.
2000 v Hawthorn: 110: 100 (10 point win)
2000 v Melbourne: 156:106 (50 point loss)

If anyone 'gets' the misery of our recent finals record, it's me. Four losses, by an average of 103.5 points. :(:mad::cry: Anyone "beat" that?!

This on top of never having seen us win live in Melbourne. (An odd H/A game thrown in too). I've been denied the opportunity to sing the song with my tribal throng. Not happy Jan!

So, here's the rub. Looking to go to Tassie for the Crows game. See what the odds are for a Crows win. It's not Melbourne, but, you know...

Mate, I reckon you better stay away from that one. ;)

Every season since our last flag I prayed to the footy gods for the following:

Please let North make the finals & play Hawthorn.
Week 2 of the finals or GF this year I reckon. ;)

The only game that matched a GF in this era was the McCartney night.
We've had some really good wins obviously, but with the benefit of hindsight, I can't call any of them season or era defining. The McCartney game obviously had plenty of emotion in it, as did the round 1 game of 2002, post Carey departure, or the 2007 semi vs Hawthorn, or our great wins against the Cats and Collingwood back in 2012, or the Hawthorn game couple of weeks ago etc etc. But has any of them moved this team onto a path of consistent success? Not really.

The game I am looking for is the equivalent of Geelong vs Richmond in 2007, after we beat Geelong. That game started their era.

We've had some really good wins obviously, but with the benefit of hindsight, I can't call any of them season or era defining. The McCartney game obviously had plenty of emotion in it, as did the round 1 game of 2002, post Carey departure, or the 2007 semi vs Hawthorn, or our great wins against the Cats and Collingwood back in 2012, or the Hawthorn game couple of weeks ago etc etc. But has any of them moved this team onto a path of consistent success? Not really.

The game I am looking for is the equivalent of Geelong vs Richmond in 2007, after we beat Geelong. That game started their era.
With the age profile of our guns this has been too hard to eventuate at North. To talk the talk as they say would require those at the club that will be there in 10 years to speak up. Just not our bread and butter right at the minute

Has to be considered in the bigger picture, true.

Purely from an onfield perspective though, the opposing directions the sides took after that final were pretty stark in contrast..

We also gave them the pick that allowed them to add Lewis to Buddy and Roughead in that draft (via Chad Morrison tbf) if you want to rub the salted wound further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back