Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

Or you can read the full article on the Suns board.

Yet while the AFL underwrites the Gold Coast Suns to the tune of $20 million a year, and spends many millions on development in the region, the Titans are virtually left to fend for themselves.

Last year alone, on top of their base grant of $7m, the Suns were given an additional $2.6m. The Titans, on the other hand, were given a miserly $250,000 to invest in three development officers.

Absolute disgrace the NRL don't do more to help the game in an area which is clearly in trouble.

I think there is and I also think the NRL believe it is, and I would doubt the NRL would need to spend as much, you'd just hope they would do something.

I don't know. Is this more just an over reaction to a side who are getting a fair few leg ups to gain support on the GC and do the NRL just ride it out until that level of funding ends? Or is it a case of we've gotten rid of Tinkler, maybe it's Searle's time to go too?

Do you know the average crowd attendance? They have this boutique, great stadium up there that is less than half full unless they play QLD opposition. Brisbane have such a stronghold over that part of QLD which doesn't help.

If they want it to work, they do need to have some short and long term strategies in order to do so.

off the back of this, I can't believe they seriously want to add a second Brisbane team there. If that Brisbane team gets the go ahead, I can't see the Titans surviving that.

Would be stupid to move them from the Gold Coast as it would mean no going back for the NRL in the area unlike last time. But they can't think they can ride out the wave of AFL support the Suns are currently getting as they would be waiting too long and there would be a point of no return. Get them some funding for better junior development involving the Titans and promote the Titans better on the Gold Coast.

Michael Searle has run his race at the Titans and his own hubris has done himself, the NRL and sadly the Titans no favours

Average is 13382. Look, at the end of the day I just don't see the NRL giving up on the Gold Coast. It would just be completely stupid. Hopefully they give them some real support soon.
Not sure how many were there on Saturday but it sounded like a Parramatta home game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back