Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What after my Rant this week have I scared everybody off ?
What are people up to this weekend?
Me Dower park for Roos Vs Sth

No real competitive games this w/e in my opinion..... might stay at home. Flat should thump south you'd think crow?

No real competitive games this w/e in my opinion..... might stay at home. Flat should thump south you'd think crow?
Would like to think so and it would also suggest we are taking the next step as a team. We have a history of not putting sides away when we should and need to learn to bury sides when we have the chance as percentage will cost us this year.
Funny thing though just had a senior umpire at my place of employeement and he agrees with my thoughts of umpires being untouchable and unapproachable and needing to get back to some old fashion banter with players and coming across as being on the same level.
Might have a few frothies this weekend with the 150 celebrations as well

Enjoy mate. It seems to be a bit of a 2 horse race coming into the back end of the season. Does anything think Golden Sq have any chance of winning again this year?

Enjoy mate. It seems to be a bit of a 2 horse race coming into the back end of the season. Does anything think Golden Sq have any chance of winning again this year?
Everyboday keeps asking can the Square be a threat but knowone mentions Gissy. If they get a run going and all players on the park they may surprise
They also play good hard finals footy.
But as long as the storm don't win..( I am sure this will get a bite)

Hi Everyone,

As an Eaglehawk supporter who can't get to many games these days I'm loving the league video service this year, fantastic to still be able to catch up on the footy.

Is there any chance the league will expand the radio coverage likewise?

I heard the Hawks v Strath on 3BO, was a good coverage with the guy that used to call Castlemaine games on but then when we played Castlemaine on the Sunday no Fresh or the Castlemaine station broadcasting?

Be nice if the league could get 3BO to come on full time next year, the AFL is good but plenty of that around and the calls would add more atmosphere to the videos.

Any chance Brodie Filo can pull of a Father/Son Michelson?

Cheers,

James

I work as one of the cameramen in the Bendigo FL.... They won't branch out and do radio but 101.5 do a game every weekend and they are really good commentators in my opinion....

I was pretty disappointed to read the story regarding Austin Jones stating the local Bendigo Gold players wont hang around local clubs next year. I think we now see why the concept doesn't work as IMO they are building up kids to believe something they aren't and are basically stating they are too good to return to the local leagues. I've got news for you, most of them aren't.
I watched in horror last year as local players could have played local footy finals only to be told not to as it may affect their chances to be rookied or drafted? It didn't happen but once again it was a self serving aspect of why clubs didn't engage with the Gold.
There seems to be a direction given that once you train with a VFL team and play a game of VFL you are actually then rated better than you are. If Jones was 100% serious he would sit down with 3 quarters of the list and tell them nothing wrong with playing country footy and being a good local player as for most of them that's about as far as they will get. A dose of reality as the cheer leaders from the Addy need to actually start reporting with some objectivity.

I think you misinterpreted Jones completely. All he was saying is that Bendigo clubs looking to get their talent back from the Gold will have to wait, because those kids have got a taste for VFL footy and want to continue the experience.

There were some Bendigo footy players who performed really well against sides filled with AFL-listed players, and while they may never go to the next level, there's nothing wrong with having a crack.

For some reason the Bendigo football community never wanted a VFL side. Maybe because the Diggers buggered it up from the start, but most likely because clubs would lose three or four of their elite players. It's just the wrong attitude, IMO.

I think you misinterpreted Jones completely. All he was saying is that Bendigo clubs looking to get their talent back from the Gold will have to wait, because those kids have got a taste for VFL footy and want to continue the experience.

There were some Bendigo footy players who performed really well against sides filled with AFL-listed players, and while they may never go to the next level, there's nothing wrong with having a crack.

For some reason the Bendigo football community never wanted a VFL side. Maybe because the Diggers buggered it up from the start, but most likely because clubs would lose three or four of their elite players. It's just the wrong attitude, IMO.
Had to be an existing club - not a newby! Point in case - North Ballarat. Traralgon tried but is not a big enough population. All roads lead to Melbourne these days for footy and work, so yes Aussie is correct - they won't and should not hang around until such time that they feel that they have achieved or given it their best shot. if they come back years later well and good. Country footy clubs need to take stock like never before because the AFL simply do not give a stuff about individual clubs or for that matter leagues. The pathway to the AFL is all they see and care about.

Attitude is built by perception and what has gone on since the club became stand alone. I think over time most football clubs and football people have questioned what is this team doing with no base, social rooms or support and also not engaged in the local footy scene? Essendon was a different question as it had pathway, structure, money and commitment to be in the VFL league as a competitor wanting to win and develop players. Gold had no money, little structure, and the pathway is/was a dream. All for young players chasing a dream but at some stage reality hits and you take a different path. May no be where you expected it to go but life goes on.

I work as one of the cameramen in the Bendigo FL.... They won't branch out and do radio but 101.5 do a game every weekend and they are really good commentators in my opinion....

Yeah for sure, Fresh is excellent and the league is lucky to have them.

What I mean is it would be great to expand the coverage so Fresh, 3BO and the Castlemaine station (Not sure of name!) all had one on. That would mean 3 games per week covered and with the odd Night/Sunday games the coverage would be huge. Maybe even add another station to the mix like Phoenix? who I think used to call the Pioneers games.

Be a great boost for the league like going from one video game to five this year has been.

The concept of covering local Footy with game day coverage and shows through the week is great but saying they are really good commentators is stretching it they get carried away very easily.

What a win by Maryborough over Square, All in all they have done pretty well this year Maryborough with how bleak it looked in the Summer months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concept of covering local Footy with game day coverage and shows through the week is great but saying they are really good commentators is stretching it they get carried away very easily.

What a win by Maryborough over Square, All in all they have done pretty well this year Maryborough with how bleak it looked in the Summer months.

I reckon you are right on about Maryborough. Super effort. I'm glad to see my old mate Ryan Connellan is playing some good footy for them

Yeah for sure, Fresh is excellent and the league is lucky to have them.

What I mean is it would be great to expand the coverage so Fresh, 3BO and the Castlemaine station (Not sure of name!) all had one on. That would mean 3 games per week covered and with the odd Night/Sunday games the coverage would be huge. Maybe even add another station to the mix like Phoenix? who I think used to call the Pioneers games.

Be a great boost for the league like going from one video game to five this year has been.
The Castlemaine station approached the BFL for some support and the league wasn't interested so they struck up a deal to call as much MCDFL as they can. Smaller stations just don't have the personnel or funding to cover a larger amount over a bigger area and with 3BO having the Triple M rights, you couldn't see them dropping that for local footy as it's so solid Inglewood the ratings

Attitude is built by perception and what has gone on since the club became stand alone. I think over time most football clubs and football people have questioned what is this team doing with no base, social rooms or support and also not engaged in the local footy scene? Essendon was a different question as it had pathway, structure, money and commitment to be in the VFL league as a competitor wanting to win and develop players. Gold had no money, little structure, and the pathway is/was a dream. All for young players chasing a dream but at some stage reality hits and you take a different path. May no be where you expected it to go but life goes on.

You would have to be on a different planet in my opinion to believe that Gold could compete against sides filled with AFL listed players. Good on to the local blokes for having a go at a higher level but really is Jones serious? Gold have not won a game and have been thrashed more times than not, are the top VFL sides going to fall over themselves to recruit Gold "talent"?. I would not think so. I can understand the Coach being disappointed in losing his paid gig with the demise of the Gold, may be this was the reason behind his comments?. Every one I know is happy to see the back of them.

Any Coaches changes in the winds in the Bendigo League? -

Darryl Wilson you would presume would go on at Strath.
Stevens got the nod at Flat.
South? Not sure if Torpey and Tyack are keen to continue but South would consider all options youd think.
Eaglehawk will Mongahan continue? Locks name has been mentioned as a possible replacement.
Gissy- Sharpy would be the man youd think.
Castlemaine- Is Robbo going on? Seeing them Saty again they have alot of work to do to play finals footy again.
Maryborough- Having a look it would more so be from the Current Coaches blessings Id say.
Square- ? They roll in and out at the Square pretty quick but would be good for them if Carts stays as it becomes more about development in the next couple of years.
Kyneton- Addo be out to take the Tigers to the next step again.
Dragons- Fitzy has been pretty good but Id like to see us have a big go at Andy Collins to bring him in too Co-Coach with Fitzy would top us off well one playing one non playing could work well especially with what Andy would bring in leadership onfield and advance our game plan a bit.

You would have to be on a different planet in my opinion to believe that Gold could compete against sides filled with AFL listed players. Good on to the local blokes for having a go at a higher level but really is Jones serious? Gold have not won a game and have been thrashed more times than not, are the top VFL sides going to fall over themselves to recruit Gold "talent"?. I would not think so. I can understand the Coach being disappointed in losing his paid gig with the demise of the Gold, may be this was the reason behind his comments?. Every one I know is happy to see the back of them.

A lot of the criticism directed towards the Bendigo Gold is unwarranted. From someone that is in the inner-sanctum of the club, I can tell you that there are plenty of people disappointed with the demise of the club. There are many players at the club that could be of value to other VFL teams if that's where their ambitions are. You have to remember the average age of the Gold side; we have a 30-year-old (with no prior VFL experience), two 25-year-olds (only one with VFL experience) and the result of the side is filled with players between 18-22. No side is going to be competitive in the VFL with a list so young. I liken it to the performances of Gold Coast and GWS when they first came into the AFL.

I reckon you are right on about Maryborough. Super effort. I'm glad to see my old mate Ryan Connellan is playing some good footy for them

Big Yak always gives his all and rucks all day. I think he suits the heavy grounds as he is not afraid to get down and to the physical stuff to help out the on-ballers.

It certainly was a great win mate and the members of the old 1974 Maryborough premiership team were in attendance and loved it. Maryborough has suffered with an inability to have all the players on the training track consistently. A lot of players only met each other for the first time in Round One and with a solid core of players travelling from Melbourne each week, it is hard to work on playing structures and an effective game-plan. The run home sees games against South Bendigo (QEO), Eaglehawk (Maryborough) and Kyneton (Kyneton) so perhaps another couple of wins.

Everyboday keeps asking can the Square be a threat but knowone mentions Gissy. If they get a run going and all players on the park they may surprise
They also play good hard finals footy.
But as long as the storm don't win..( I am sure this will get a bite)
Yep, i think you're right about Gisborne, i believe they are absolutely well and truley still in it. They are super fit and still have O. Messoudi, M. Knox, S. Walsh, A. Belcher and B. Sonogan to return in the next two weeks.

Big game at the Graveyard against Sandhurst this week.

Ok,
with 3 rounds left who makes up position 4 and 5 for the finals
Square are now more at risk with loosing to Maryborough but would be favourite between them and Ehawk & Flat
Square has, Ehawk,Sandhurst & Cmaine
Flat has , Storm,Kyneton & Gissy
Ehawk has Square,Mbough & Sandhurst
Could go either way

He's the ex-chippie from Kyneton who had two knee reconstructions and was selected in the back-end of the 2011 Rookie Draft with slim prospects of ever making the big time. But Jack Redpath has beaten the odds and - after recently making his senior debut - is now loving life at the Western Bulldogs -http://bit.ly/1o5H94I

Great to see the former Tiger making tracks!

The Castlemaine station approached the BFL for some support and the league wasn't interested so they struck up a deal to call as much MCDFL as they can. Smaller stations just don't have the personnel or funding to cover a larger amount over a bigger area and with 3BO having the Triple M rights, you couldn't see them dropping that for local footy as it's so solid Inglewood the ratings

Ahhh, that explains why I couldn't find the Sunday game. That's a shame, thought those blokes did a good job in the BFL.

Hopefully 3BO might have a change of heart and go local next year, could be a winner because there are a few options to hear AFL so you would think a local option would get a good audience.

Anyway back to the footy, tight for a spot in the finals, hopefully Brodie back this week after I jinxed him in my first post!

Must win against the Square with Sandhurst in the final round we have to win the two games and hope for the best.

Ahhh, that explains why I couldn't find the Sunday game. That's a shame, thought those blokes did a good job in the BFL.

Hopefully 3BO might have a change of heart and go local next year, could be a winner because there are a few options to hear AFL so you would think a local option would get a good audience.

Anyway back to the footy, tight for a spot in the finals, hopefully Brodie back this week after I jinxed him in my first post!

Must win against the Square with Sandhurst in the final round we have to win the two games and hope for the best.
Hawkboy,
Yes you need to win 2 of the 3 and hope the flat only win 1
Would think this is your best chance to pick one up instead of game against the Dragons
Saying that Maryborough at home is no gimmie on their current form
Great finish to home and away

Should be a good game out at Canterbury Park tomorrow- Doggies by 11 points is my tip.
Big big game for the Dragons hopefully we can hold Gissy out to win by 6 points.
Strath to get hold of Flat by 45 points.
Kyneton by 7 points over Castlemaine. wobbling to the line Kyneton.
South Bendigo to beat Maryborough by 9 points. Pies much better on their home turf.
Anyone else?

Should be a good game out at Canterbury Park tomorrow- Doggies by 11 points is my tip.
Big big game for the Dragons hopefully we can hold Gissy out to win by 6 points.
Strath to get hold of Flat by 45 points.
Kyneton by 7 points over Castlemaine. wobbling to the line Kyneton.
South Bendigo to beat Maryborough by 9 points. Pies much better on their home turf.
Anyone else?
Fly,
probably agree with most but would like to think if Flat are on their game will get closer than 45 points
not sure storm will want a shoot out like your lot
Main concern is that the square beat the hawks

Back