2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Why isn't Morningside in the NEAFL? Traditionally were always the strongest Brisbane side and along with Southport the powerhouses of the old QAFL.

Is it a money thing? I see Aspley are in the NEAFL, but obviously they have a wealthy leagues club behind them.

Why isn't Morningside in the NEAFL? Traditionally were always the strongest Brisbane side and along with Southport the powerhouses of the old QAFL.

Is it a money thing? I see Aspley are in the NEAFL, but obviously they have a wealthy leagues club behind them.

It's more than a money thing. I think there were several criteria that needed to be met if you wanted to apply for the NEAFL. Same applied for all the other AFLQ divisions. That combined with the new structure AFLQ wanted to implement meant that traditional sides like Morningside are where they are. I don't even know if they applied to stay in the NEAFL.

It might not be the best thing right in terms of current domination by one side, but I suppose AFLQ hope things will even out in the years to come.

I guess..........:confused:

Of course it will. The Siders have been a very strong club and well run, great junior set up, a history of very good coaches but there will be a small swing back imo. They will never be terrible (for a long time anyway) but I'm sure there will be other clubs that will push up and less juniors will move across during their teenage years (if surrounding clubs get their act together with coaching).

It's more than a money thing. I think there were several criteria that needed to be met if you wanted to apply for the NEAFL. Same applied for all the other AFLQ divisions. That combined with the new structure AFLQ wanted to implement meant that traditional sides like Morningside are where they are. I don't even know if they applied to stay in the NEAFL.

It might not be the best thing right in terms of current domination by one side, but I suppose AFLQ hope things will even out in the years to come.

I guess..........:confused:
They didn't apply because they, like many others (even the clubs that did apply) didn't believe in the concept of clubs propping up a quasi national reserve grade competition. That, and the proposed minimum playing contracts put forward by the league....and the demand to get rid of the reserves meant that they were going to loose the heart and soul from their club. It's a pretty boring day at football watching a qld NEAFL team take on the likes of Sydney Uni with no reserve grade game. Their decision means they will be around for a long time to come rather than be faced with the enormous financial pressures of playing NEAFL

NEAFL games distort QAFL results as well, with different players going back to different clubs every week depending on injuries and selections.

Totally support Morningside's decision to avoid such a micky mouse comp.

I would be surprised if the NEAFL is still around in 5yrs time in it's current form. Looks to be a good decesion by Morningside to stay in the QAFL.

Thanks for the insight guys. Been os for a while now, so lost touch with whats been happening. Go the Gorillas!

2014 Draft Combine Invitees

QUEENSLAND
Harris Andrews Aspley
Liam Dawson Aspley
Matt Hammelmann Morningside
Nick Jackson Aspley
Braydon Preuss Mt Gravatt
Matthew Uebergang Ipswich
Lachie Weller Broadbeach

Released yesterday. Not a bad effort for QLD footy

Lets hope they all get a gig in Qld, but if they can't take their chance wherever they can. All the best to the lads

NEAFL games distort QAFL results as well, with different players going back to different clubs every week depending on injuries and selections.

Totally support Morningside's decision to avoid such a mickey mouse comp.

Thommo 42,

I think when it was all boiled down Morningside, like Old Mother Hubbard went to their cupboard and could not find the bones needed to be able to compete in what you call the Mickey Mouse competition, I suggest you come down to a NEAFL ground and check out say a mini Qld Grand Final with the Hornets v Bombers game at Bomber-Land on August 23 and the only cartoons you will see are the tats on the some of the players.

The standard of footy being displayed by these two sides recently and Southport to a degree, even with their injuries at the moment make the current QAFL look like a very second rate competition (oh that's right it is).

These three clubs have lifted the standard of AFL Footy in Qld 5 fold in my opinion with their new lists and professional approach to the games each week.

Morningside and Palm Beach IMO are a long way off the pace to these three sides but are a little too talented for the current QAFL comp at the moment, but within a few years their players who cannot get a senior game within their structure will move on to a club that will welcome them with open arms and the cycle will start, along with the players dropping back when the talented kids get their chance at the NEAFL Level, this will even the competition up.

Be careful who you judge as a player who you determine is playing in a mickey mouse comp, as he may be turn out to be your clubs best and fairest player one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steady Billy

Where do you think the players in the NEAFL have come from?

Don't disagree NEAFL is a better competition, it would be pretty sad if it wasn't, but I would bet my left nut on Morningside beating every Canberra Club and the 2 non AFL Sydney Clubs any day of the week? They would touch up the Suns like the other NEAFL Clubs and think they would challenge the Lions, they way they have been playing. That's more than 50% of the NEAFL comp. That's competitive and they would do it at fraction of the player payments that the others are forking out.

Amongst others, Morningside beat Ainslie in Canberra last year by 6 goals, Redland by 7 goals, NT by 10 goals.

Of course the three Qld Clubs have lifted the level - that's what the competition was designed to do...and all clubs are struggling to financially continue to do this. But don't kid yourself where the players who lifted the competition have come from, with plenty of players from Morningside, Broadbeach, Labrador and Mt Gravatt - going to those 3 clubs to enable them to do so.

Steady Billy

Don't disagree NEAFL is a better competition, it would be pretty sad if it wasn't, but I would bet my left nut on Morningside beating every Canberra Club and the 2 non AFL Sydney Clubs any day of the week? They would touch up the Suns like the other NEAFL Clubs and think they would challenge the Lions, they way they have been playing. That's more than 50% of the NEAFL comp. That's competitive and they would do it at fraction of the player payments that the others are forking out.

Amongst others, Morningside beat Ainslie in Canberra last year by 6 goals, Redland by 7 goals, NT by 10 goals.

Of course the three Qld Clubs have lifted the level - that's what the competition was designed to do...and all clubs are struggling to financially continue to do this. But don't kid yourself where the players who lifted the competition have come from, with plenty of players from Morningside, Broadbeach, Labrador and Mt Gravatt - going to those 3 clubs to enable them to do so.
and Broady Vultures Labrador and Morningside were fed by PBC, Surfers, Magpies etc i like the Neafl and Qafl. the only way you stayed in the Neafl was financially viable to sustain the level

Yeah and thats the way it should be - you could argue that one of the ways Morningside maintained their competiveness in the old QAFL was bc they had numerous juniors from other clubs come to them. Lets not get too precious Yesterday, plus that is totally ridiculous to even pretend you would know if the Siders could knock over all of those teams. Its like ppl talking about PBC last year as being capable of knocking over anyone else outside of the top 4. Like reserves footy to senior footy, the jump in standard from QAFL to NEAFL this year is huge I would suggest. BB is 100% right in his analysis - to me there is a certain amount of sour grapes still from some supporters of various ex-QAFL sides that they are no longer considered the big fish. TBH, who friggin cares. A football club is about far more than the competition you play in, surely!! Morningside and others will still be great football clubs, even if they aren't playing in the best comp in Qld - just let it go.

And correct Speedy - the basis of being in the NEAFL was all about $$ and cents. if you didn't have a fair bank balance need not apply.

Steady Billy

Yesterday,

I think you are missing the point here - "Mickey Mouse competition" was the point made and the point I took exception too, the NEAFL today is no mickey mouse competition, if anything the new series 2 NEAFL structure has brought respect back for Queensland footy from around the country - Qld has become a good viable place to play footy through the cold winter months that our Southern Cousins play in now that we have got 3 sides that are playing in a true 2nd tier competition, even if it means travelling over 2 States and 2 Territories to play, (there are a lot of players playing NEAFL series 2 footy that did not play in the series 1 structure).

I have mentioned the fact that the current 3 NEAFL sides have improved and improved immensely, and I acknowledge that this has been partly due to being strengthen by the traditional QAFL sides Morningside, Broadbeach, Labrador and Mt Gravatt who originally formed part of the NEAFL series 1 and also many other sides, but through this, the new changed structure has also given all Qld clubs an opportunity to showcase their junior talent at either one of 3 NEAFL Clubs (if they choose to send them over and not feel they are being poached but promoted to play the best footy they can), not to mention in the reverse of this with those players who just did not quite fit into the requirements to stay with these 3 of series 2 NEAFL Clubs, that have filtered back into the various QAFL sides, which in turn has helped lift this competition as well.

7 Qld kids to draft camp this year and plenty to be state tested, most have played at the NEAFL level, with the 3 NEAFL Qld Clubs or AFL Reserve Qld sides via their Academies!!!!!!!!

I think the NEAFL competition (bearing in mind there will to be some further restructuring in NSW and the ACT to be made for the better) is a great concept and it should be embraced as our elite league, of which all clubs from the QAFL level to "F" League level in Qld have a real stake in. The stronger we can make the 3 current QLD sides playing in this near 1/2 national competition, the stronger Qld AFL Footy will become and the stronger all QLD league's and competitions will be.

Don't just bag it because its new and some old noses and some old traditional clubs as we knew them got pushed out of place - once you understand the concept, you and the game in general will all benefit by embracing it.

Look for the forest and then you will see the trees.

Yesterday,

I think you are missing the point here - "Mickey Mouse competition" was the point made and the point I took exception too, the NEAFL today is no mickey mouse competition, if anything the new series 2 NEAFL structure has brought respect back for Queensland footy from around the country - Qld has become a good viable place to play footy through the cold winter months that our Southern Cousins play in now that we have got 3 sides that are playing in a true 2nd tier competition, even if it means travelling over 2 States and 2 Territories to play, (there are a lot of players playing NEAFL series 2 footy that did not play in the series 1 structure).

I have mentioned the fact that the current 3 NEAFL sides have improved and improved immensely, and I acknowledge that this has been partly due to being strengthen by the traditional QAFL sides Morningside, Broadbeach, Labrador and Mt Gravatt who originally formed part of the NEAFL series 1 and also many other sides, but through this, the new changed structure has also given all Qld clubs an opportunity to showcase their junior talent at either one of 3 NEAFL Clubs (if they choose to send them over and not feel they are being poached but promoted to play the best footy they can), not to mention in the reverse of this with those players who just did not quite fit into the requirements to stay with these 3 of series 2 NEAFL Clubs, that have filtered back into the various QAFL sides, which in turn has helped lift this competition as well.

7 Qld kids to draft camp this year and plenty to be state tested, most have played at the NEAFL level, with the 3 NEAFL Qld Clubs or AFL Reserve Qld sides via their Academies!!!!!!!!

I think the NEAFL competition (bearing in mind there will to be some further restructuring in NSW and the ACT to be made for the better) is a great concept and it should be embraced as our elite league, of which all clubs from the QAFL level to "F" League level in Qld have a real stake in. The stronger we can make the 3 current QLD sides playing in this near 1/2 national competition, the stronger Qld AFL Footy will become and the stronger all QLD league's and competitions will be.

Don't just bag it because its new and some old noses and some old traditional clubs as we knew them got pushed out of place - once you understand the concept, you and the game in general will all benefit by embracing it.

My concern is that the current 3 NEAFL clubs have only been artificially improved by a concentration of players from the former NEAFL sides and this sugar hit might not be sustained (time will tell). The numerous issues associated with restructuring of the second and third tier leagues, with massive differences between the top teams in the QAFL and QFA won't help to strengthen the NEAFL clubs. The NEAFL clubs need to build a relationships with their feeder clubs and with only one club in Brisbane and if the avoid the academies with their associated cronyism, it should mean they have a wealth of talent to draw upon.

Yesterday,

just a fun fact you mention traditional QAFL teams Broady Vultures and Labrador... Mayne were in the QAFL longer then all of them combined....

Whether you call it 'micky mouse' or some other adjective, at the end of the day it's a 'manufactured' competition to provide a competition for AFL expansion states reserves sides to play in. No tradition, no real rivalries and in my opinion the standard of the 3 non AFL club aligned NEAFL sides will gradually drop when blokes realise they will enjoy their footy more playing in a genuinely local competition.

The likes of Redlands, Aspley and Southport will probably end up being full of kids still hoping to be drafted and wanting to play at the highest level (great) and a few older heads who haven't given up. If you no longer hold hopes of being drafted, then I imagine you might gradually filter back to your home club in the QAFL in a majority of cases. This is just my opinion of course, but I just don't like the concept of the NEAFL using 'local' clubs to prop up a reserves competition.

I mean lets be serious, there are guys playing footy in QFA South and North, let alone in the QAFL that are just as good as many NEAFL players, if not better in a few select cases. Which blows the theory of people always wanting to play the highest level possible way out of the water.

Not sure anyone said that all people always want to play the highest level possible. There are thousands of blokes that have been far more talented than 100's of the guys who have ended up playing AFL footy for instance. Thats never ever been the case. If the NEAFL does end up like you have described QAFL then you will be pleased to know that it will replicate the VFL... Just as clubs like Port Melb, Box Hill, Frankston, Coburg, Williamstown, Preston etc have propped up the VFL for quite a few years now. Don't let a "merger" con you into thinking that this isn't the case. But you know what; like the NEAFL, if the AFL clubs hadn't done this then many would have fallen over staying in the old VFA. Just as clubs like Mt Gravatt would have gone out of existence in 5 years at senior level if they had continued to play in the NEAFL V 1.
At the end of the day the NEAFL v.2 has far far more credibility outside of Qld than the 1st version ever did as far as a standard of footy goes. With the $$ on offer to players to play there aside from aspiring U18/19's you can guarantee that there will continue to be high quality blokes coming from all around Aust to be part of it. Lets not pretend that everyone played at Southport in the past bc they had nice big rooms...

Not sure anyone said that all people always want to play the highest level possible. There are thousands of blokes that have been far more talented than 100's of the guys who have ended up playing AFL footy for instance. Thats never ever been the case. If the NEAFL does end up like you have described QAFL then you will be pleased to know that it will replicate the VFL... Just as clubs like Port Melb, Box Hill, Frankston, Coburg, Williamstown, Preston etc have propped up the VFL for quite a few years now. Don't let a "merger" con you into thinking that this isn't the case. But you know what; like the NEAFL, if the AFL clubs hadn't done this then many would have fallen over staying in the old VFA. Just as clubs like Mt Gravatt would have gone out of existence in 5 years at senior level if they had continued to play in the NEAFL V 1.
At the end of the day the NEAFL v.2 has far far more credibility outside of Qld than the 1st version ever did as far as a standard of footy goes. With the $$ on offer to players to play there aside from aspiring U18/19's you can guarantee that there will continue to be high quality blokes coming from all around Aust to be part of it. Lets not pretend that everyone played at Southport in the past bc they had nice big rooms...

SMY1305,

Sensational post and very true in more ways than one.

With no Major Sponsorship, TV deals or media releases in the Courier Mail, one hopes that Aspley and Redlands can survive and thrive in the NEAFL. Though it's a tough task.

Yesterday,

Hey Billy,
In your first post on this topic, you made reference to the qafl as being a 2nd rate comp, yet in your second post, you say that it's become stronger with the trickle down effect--- so which is it?
And how can the neafl be claimed as "our" elite comp when we only have 3 sides in it? How, as you put it, does this strengthen qld footy in general? All that's happened is that the aflq have rearranged the deck chairs.
Smy, when all these players from around Australia come to play for these 3 elite clubs, where do you think they will go when they can't cut the mustard at that level anymore-- that's right, they'll go back to where they came from to grab the cash at some lower level league in their home state because there isn't that opportunity here ( in most cases).
Johnny Demon's post is the real issue here and his point was very well made. The only way to increase the talent pool in qld is through increased participation and unearthing new talent from within this state. This will obviously take some time and considerable effort from aflq but, in the meantime at least avoid placing silly obstacles (criterias) that result in lopsided competitions below qafl level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back