Autopsy Rd 19 Carlton v Fremantle Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

hard pill to swallow but that's where we're at. the skill level of the bottom half of our list has let us down all year and in the clutch and Docherty, casboult and wood all continued the trend. only mistake that I'm really pissed off at is casboults. he just didn't concentrate on that mark. he thought it was uncontested.

but the bright side: dale Thomas still has aways to go but made vast strides forward tonight. really liked team effort to get in the face of Crowley and back murphy up. that's happened far too seldom this year.

I thought our outs really hurt us tonight. everitt is the obvious matchup for fyfe because he can compete with him physically and in the air. and had menzel played instead of ellard then who knows what might have happened. but they lost pav so I guess it comes out in the wash...

and I've said this before but i'll say it again, we're a far better team without walker in defence. small sample size but we're about 3 goals a game better off against some pretty good sides since he's been gone. our defence looks much more settled and with simpson being the creative general back there we're moving the ball much better out of defence. none of that erratic 'my drivers license says Andrew walker but I think I'm matt suckling' mentality.

We're talking about a game of football here, not the Ukraine crisis. This whole back down to the media thing is bullshit. We need characters in the game. Footy is already bland enough these days with players toeing the line when answering questions, regurgitating what they've been told to say while on radio and refusing to show themselves in a fun way. Coaches are pretty bland too. Do you really want to read the papers each day with the journos writing as they please, on their high horse viewing themselves as superior humans?
I understand your very valid points! My post was that unfortunately the majority operate within the culture of media. I don't agree with it but I accept it determines/dominates the majority experience (if that makes sense). I don't think we can avoid it.

on a side note: even during a Freo home game, West Coast fans showed themselves to be the biggest numpties in the league. was sat next to a couple of Eagles blokes who apparently rocked up to do nothing but heckle Fremantle players in really over the top and embarassing ways. I hope nobody mistook them for Blues fans.

Sorry for the intrusion. But as my mum has barracked for Carlton throughout her 40 years of existence, I've always had a soft spot for the blues. Tonight was both disappointing, yet also a relief. Disappointing seeing as you guys didn't come away with the 4 points, but it's a relief to know that you guys are definitely heading in the right direction. You guys sure gave it everything you got, and took it right up to them, and to lose to Freo in Perth by under a goal is tremendous. Sure did a better job than what the Dees did against Freo a month ago, and that wasn't even at their home ground and still lost by 10 goals.

Onwards and upwards, if any opposition supporter can tell someone to stay positive it would be from a Melbourne supporter, you guys will get there! Hopefully Dees and Blues can put up a great finals match one year in the not-so-distant future!

I understand your very valid points! My post was that unfortunately the majority operate within the culture of media. I don't agree with it but I accept it determines/dominates the majority experience (if that makes sense). I don't think we can avoid it.
Of course not but I'd rather the media be kept on their toes. Can't have everyone backing down to them.

Agree. I didn't expect to see that sort of thing come from my team of all teams, but it was great to see. Hope more teams do that, he deserves to get smashed every game for his playstyle.

So does Macaffer. Players like that are a blight on the game. Go for the freaking ball.

IT hurts.

But they gave us unrelenting effort. And that's all I ever ask for.

Some will single out the mistakes in the last few minutes, but in reality we had 100s of them throughout the game. 0.4 in the second qtr was costly.

Given the state of our list and the 22 that took the field tonight, one thing is for sure - Mick can clearly still coach. Wiped the floor with Rossy. Mistakes let us down. Not effort. Not tactics. Except maybe the sub choice.

We'll be right.
Tonight... I can honestly say we have turned the corner. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train.

Tonight, I saw 22 men give their all in the best Carlton tradition... Crowley was close checking Smurph until someone put him on his arse big time and then Smurph broke free.

Our skill levels are still down a bit, but we are improving and the players are buying into Micks' plan big time. Next year watch out AFL!

yep never answers any questions. we want to know what went wrong, what went right, who played well, who didnt. its not that hard to answer.
Yeah because I'm sure Malthouse can give insightful answers regarding how the game went five minutes after the final siren.

They spend hours the following week analysing the game to find out what went wrong and right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does Macaffer. Players like that are a blight on the game. Go for the freaking ball.
Everyone has to do something to stay in the game. As long as they play within the rules then who cares?

He's annoying and definitely annoyed me tonight but I respect him because he cops a lot of s**t for doing a role, and because of his role the umpires let many get away with things.

Really good effort by the boys tonight tried their guts out in enemy territory. We were very unlucky to lose. The Ballantyne flop changed the game it got their tails up. The umpiring was atrocious tonight both ways 50m penalties handed out like lollies. Dropping and throwing the ball should be a stat now because everybody does it:mad::thumbsdown:. I really want to know our goals conceded in red time for the year we are the worst team in the comp surely for goals against in time on it's becoming a joke. Thomas had his best game for us and Juddy turned back the clock in the first half.

Would have been nice to get the win but, s**t happens. So many positives and as Mick says, it's all about the process. We're building some nice momentum and starting to play as a team again.

Still have Menz, Everritt, Cripps, Kreuz, Walker and Robbo to fit in that side. With a bit of luck with injuries over preseason and some shrewd recruiting I can see us bouncing back up the ladder in 2015 :thumbsu:

on a side note: even during a Freo home game, West Coast fans showed themselves to be the biggest numpties in the league. was sat next to a couple of Eagles blokes who apparently rocked up to do nothing but heckle Fremantle players in really over the top and embarassing ways. I hope nobody mistook them for Blues fans.

Unlikely since they usually come all decked out in blue and gold, absolute scum though I agree.

Playing you guys at Subi is becoming a pretty bad experience, tonight there was nothing but pure relief. Don't quite know what to make of Carlton this year, bad losses to low teams but seem to turn it on against quality teams, reminds me a little of North of last year.

Sorry for the intrusion. But as my mum has barracked for Carlton throughout her 40 years of existence, I've always had a soft spot for the blues. Tonight was both disappointing, yet also a relief. Disappointing seeing as you guys didn't come away with the 4 points, but it's a relief to know that you guys are definitely heading in the right direction. You guys sure gave it everything you got, and took it right up to them, and to lose to Freo in Perth by under a goal is tremendous. Sure did a better job than what the Dees did against Freo a month ago, and that wasn't even at their home ground and still lost by 10 goals.

Onwards and upwards, if any opposition supporter can tell someone to stay positive it would be from a Melbourne supporter, you guys will get there! Hopefully Dees and Blues can put up a great finals match one year in the not-so-distant future!
HOW DARE YOU! PERMABAN MODS!

....oh wait just read the post, carry on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back