Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL warns grassroots football will be ‘major loser’ in Burswood switch

The Sunday Times has obtained a letter written by the WAFL Council of Presidents chair Brett Raponi which warns modelling suggests income generated for local football could fall from $15 million annually to just $3 million – even if the WA Football Commission wins the contract to operate the new $1.2 billion facility.
In the confidential letter, dated May 21, Mr Raponi also warns that filling the 60,000-seat stadium will be a “far tougher prospect than initially projected”.

“With greater community access to live televised games and immediate internet access to information, it is foreseeable that the move to a 60,000 seat stadium will have its challenges,” hen says.
WAFC chief executive Gary Walton said stadium operations were its “core business”.

“The WAFC has full expectation to assume the operator role at the new Perth stadium for football,” he said.

Fair amount of scaremongering from the WAFC.

No use sitting on their hands & hoping - sure glad the colours are OK, not worried what its called, its the future of WA footy that's foremost in my mind. Check out the spin surrounding Adelaide Oval, spin or outright misrepresentation.
Stadium management rights are at the heart of the future despite AFL apologists wanting to give the AFL a free ride, ie refuse the booking of the rugby union test effectively reserving the stadium for September at no charge. Footy will put the bums on the seats & the WAFC are the right people to run the stadium.

All will be OK if the same old WAFC cronies are given a free stadium to run how they see fit

Better than pukka MCC types, cricket club types are for themselves & clearly prefer other activities not Aussie Rules. Its not the people feasting, it is about the game, the players, the fans ...

Better than pukka MCC types, cricket club types are for themselves & clearly prefer other activities not Aussie Rules. Its not the people feasting, it is about the game, the players, the fans ...
Remember how hard the WAFC has fought the Burswood option
They never wanted the stadium in the first place.Then only in Subi.

Nothing to do with grass roots footy,just power and a bucket of money

Should be run by professional arena management not a one sport group with vested interests

Remember how hard the WAFC has fought the Burswood option
They never wanted the stadium in the first place.Then only in Subi.

Nothing to do with grass roots footy,just power and a bucket of money

Should be run by professional arena management not a one sport group with vested interests

Pros like the MCC, no thanks.

Subi had a lease with another 78 years to run, WAFC has a duty of care to WA footy ... if stadium management rights have a significant level of profit it is better in WAFC hands rather a SMA (Adelaide Oval) model with say Eventscorp or the elitist member model of a suburban sports club (e.g Melbourne Cricket Club). As long as it is not competing with the competing clubs for members wanting to access events ie footy or BBL, or pocketing a big % of the revenue I have less concern but empire building is human behaviour.

Pros like the MCC, no thanks.

Subi had a lease with another 78 years to run, WAFC has a duty of care to WA footy ... if stadium management rights have a significant level of profit it is better in WAFC hands rather a SMA (Adelaide Oval) model with say Eventscorp or the elitist member model of a suburban sports club (e.g Melbourne Cricket Club). As long as it is not competing with the competing clubs for members wanting to access events ie footy or BBL, or pocketing a big % of the revenue I have less concern but empire building is human behaviour.

Aren't the WAFC the same people who keep booking Rugby games during AFL finals?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...377428/rugby-clash-puts-finals-in-spin-again/
Oh yes that's them.

contextualise the posts? Like make them coloured or glowing? or flash when a goal is scored? Every stadium should have contextualised posts in my opinion. When your graze them, they turn blue.

That is not a bad idea - glow blue if they are touched by the ball

contextualise the posts? Like make them coloured or glowing? or flash when a goal is scored? Every stadium should have contextualised posts in my opinion. When your graze them, they turn blue.

How would they be able to differentiate between the ball and a player on the ground touching them? They'd be going off like a Christmas tree all the time.

Aren't the WAFC the same people who keep booking Rugby games during AFL finals?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...377428/rugby-clash-puts-finals-in-spin-again/
Oh yes that's them.

Absolutely that is them Taz, not some AFL plaything to be used as & when the AFL chose - no Tassie style treatment of the WAFC.

The WAFC is the WA Govt, as is WA Tourism who enticed a Rugby Test to WA, also Eventscorp who have responsibility for building the new stadium. None of these bodies will ever run whats best for WA by the AFL.

WA footy doesnt need a cricket club (eg MCC) running the stadium, who then competes for members withe footy clubs, & whose members get priority over the members of competing teams.

IF you really have a concern over the WAFC you must a tad irritated by the arrangements at the MCG or are you one of the many who have never reviewed the dud deal footy gets in Melbourne ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5604600-3x2-940x627.jpg

Just looking at this picture again, I notice that the players interchange boxes have been fully incorporated into the design to minimise viewing impact. Great idea and I hope this is implemented.

Just looking at this picture again, I notice that the players interchange boxes have been fully incorporated into the design to minimise viewing impact. Great idea and I hope this is implemented.
Good point.
Hate that with other stadiums.

How would they be able to differentiate between the ball and a player on the ground touching them? They'd be going off like a Christmas tree all the time.
You could have hotspot type technology. When doing the review you can see the area that the ball has hit the post, if it lights up like in the cricket you know there's contact. You could do the same to work out if a player touches the ball. Admittedly I have no idea how hotspot works.

You could have hotspot type technology. When doing the review you can see the area that the ball has hit the post, if it lights up like in the cricket you know there's contact. You could do the same to work out if a player touches the ball. Admittedly I have no idea how hotspot works.
I reckon get rid of the hit the post its a behind rule - if it goes thru, and grazes a post, its a goal, if it bounces back into play, play on. ultimate chaos ball.

I reckon get rid of the hit the post its a behind rule - if it goes thru, and grazes a post, its a goal, if it bounces back into play, play on. ultimate chaos ball.

Didn't the AFL trial this in the early 2000's in the pre-season competition (during their 'lets try and put international rules into the game' craze)

Didn't the AFL trial this in the early 2000's in the pre-season competition (during their 'lets try and put international rules into the game' craze)
Yeh maybe
I think the wafl did it for a period too, maybe season proper or pre season.
I think it just gets rid of a grey area. The less grey the better...

That was funny, often the players forgot about it and just stood there thinking it was a behind for a moment.

How often do players touch a post though? Mostly it's just a collision which hits the soft, covered part of the posts anyway. That or just make that covering go like two metres up the posts, 95% of the kicks that graze the post hit them in the higher half anyway so you can afford to not have the technology low down on the post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back