Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

You've touched on my biggest concern - the team from the 2013 grand final is basically the same that people expect to go all the way now. I just don't see that happening.

Hawthorn replaced a few in their lineup from 2012 to 2013 (Young was moved on, Lake and Hill became regular starters). What substantively has changed for Freo? Hill is a better player, full seasons out of Pav and Sandi. That's about it.

It would be easy to agree, however what will have improved the side is the experience gained from playing in the GF.
Hopefully Ballantyne would not have such a stinker again, we don't miss so many easy shots, we have a fresh plan to combat the Hawks (or whoever we play), Neale & Sutcliffe are much more accomplished this year, Ibbotson plays, & Walters isn't carrying an injury (hopefully he is fit again)

You've touched on my biggest concern - the team from the 2013 grand final is basically the same that people expect to go all the way now. I just don't see that happening.

Hawthorn replaced a few in their lineup from 2012 to 2013 (Young was moved on, Lake and Hill became regular starters). What substantively has changed for Freo? Hill is a better player, full seasons out of Pav and Sandi. That's about it.

The only thing I can think of in 2012 was that Antoni Gover was still on our list. Retired at the end of 2012. I cant think of any other regular 22 guys that have left freo in the past 2 seasons.

Damn wish I was in Perth tonight, really feel like going to the footy :(
Same. Also because there's 50 knot winds outside, it's pouring with rain & forecasted hail & thunderstorms so I'm worried I'm going to lose power & not even be able to watch it on tv.

It's not like we haven't tried. Sylvia's been given plenty of opportunity to work his way into the team, and youngsters like Apeness and Taberner have been given a chance.

We seem to be structurally more different though, with Neale becoming more of a full-time seniors player, Mayne getting game time up back, Fyfe spending more time up forward, and Sandi becoming contested mark king.

Agree completely, what's concerning is we're actually facing an uphill battle just to get to the same level we were last year. Walters doesn't come back in top form (or takes several weeks to get there) then we won't win the flag. Pav is another year older and whether Mayne can start hitting the scoreboard again is also up in the air, at least Ballas has picked up the slack but it's still not enough.

Suffice to say we haven't had anybody demand that second tall spot, Gumby is always injured so that went down the drain pretty quickly and then we're left with first years, twigs, players whose best positions are ambiguous and ruckmen to fill that role and none can do so effectively. My preference would be for Kepler to come in pretty soon as at the very least he can provide a contest and provide adequate forward pressure.

I just want 1 tall player on the bench, Whether that tall takes one of the 3 main spots or takes the sub spot. Also I just want to see Alex Pearce get a debut this season for having a good season at Peel as a defender.
Having an extra runner makes a big difference. Especially with the way we play, and the interchange number restrictions don't help.

Can understand why you'd want a tall on the bench, but it'd likely jeopardise how our game style would work.

The younger talls will get opportunities... and they'll be developing in the wafl in the meantime. This year is as good a chance as ever for us to push for our first premiership. Let next season wait until it comes around.

Fyfe has taken another step up. Balla is looking more dangerous. Neale and sutcliffe are now a consistent contibutors. Mayne has dropped off a bit though. Ibbo will hopefully have a better run with injury.

But you're right... in terms of best 22 very little has changed. Especially up front.

Agree completely, what's concerning is we're actually facing an uphill battle just to get to the same level we were last year.

We are fourth as we were in round 19 last year. We are closer to first, both in terms of wins and percentage. It appears to me we are on the same level as last year.

We are fourth as we were in round 19 last year. We are closer to first, both in terms of wins and percentage. It appears to me we are on the same level as last year.
Easy draw home though if I remember? Maybe the difficult draw will be a blessing

I wouldn't have any confidence in kicking a winning score against Hawthorn in a final with the same set up, good enough to grind out wins against s**t opposition sure.

Fyfe has taken another step up. Balla is looking more dangerous. Neale and sutcliffe are now a consistent contibutors. Mayne has dropped off a bit though. Ibbo will hopefully have a better run with injury.

But you're right... in terms of best 22 very little has changed. Especially up front.
Clancee and Ibbo were both in our best 22 when we were playing well last year, both didn't play in the GF. If Ibbo can get going then we are noticeably different in our back half.

Easy draw home though if I remember? Maybe the difficult draw will be a blessing
Round 19 we played Carlton at Docklands and won by 36
Round 20 GWS schellacking
Round 21 Melbourne schellacking
Round 22 Port schellacking
Round 23 St Kilda schellacked.

Yes last year was easier, but we also won them very comfortably (70-100+ points). Interesting that we play 2 of the same teams again.

We're still a chance...

ap_w_adele_20111206190151232668-420x0.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have any confidence in kicking a winning score against Hawthorn in a final with the same set up, good enough to grind out wins against s**t opposition sure.

I'm with you tbh.

We are definitely seeing more goals from our midfield but we have taken a belting up forward. Pav and Ballantyne are the only reliable multiple goalscorers we have at the moment. I can't see Mayne miraculously finding form, I thought De Boer might have been forced out by now but Colin was a step backwards. Apart from flashes Clarke is still nowhere near a real key forward and Walters is just a big unknown at this point.

One thing that I hope will be a bit different is that we have a fully fit MJ, McPharlin and Pav in the finals, maybe Ibbo too - that would help.

Pav's looking OK of course, but the others are not filling me with confidence right now, but there's a few weeks for them to get right.

Upside - Fyfe is better. Ballas is significantly better. Pav has played all year. Sandilands is in career best form. Duffield is better than last year.
Downside - Walters is out, Mayne is not as damaging as in 2013, McPharlin has had less game time.

I can see your point but I think when Walters comes back it changes our forward line dynamic that much so the second big forward becomes less important. I believe Mayne's game has suffered with Walters out and hence he could become damaging once again. The fact is we don't have a second talented big man to come in at the expense of our talented smaller players.
Clarke and Sandi will just have to turn it up when they are up forward.
Well this is awkward. Hope clarke and sandi turn it up

Smokingkacket accepted this bet.

Let's see if he is a man of his word!

W28tx6T.gif

Sorry Cobb, I've been pretty busy this week, call it a heavy training load. I will honour the bet, of course, but I thought it was fair to wait till game day for late changes. So as agreed - one week starting tomorrow, no posts, nada.

This actually hurts more than expected because there's a fair bit to talk about after tonight but a bet is a bet, and I'm a man of principle.

Remember, don't go too over the top on Sylvia in my absence because I'll still be lurking and you can expect a lengthy response with a weeks worth of multi-quotes in Friday week :D.

P.S. Love your work Reginald Perrin , I can't believe you got that out in two threads with so few bites. Either your posting reputation is fierce, or people are over the Pav I conclude.

P.S. Love your work Reginald Perrin , I can't believe you got that out in two threads with so few bites.
The truth is hard to deny.

So many targets this week, but not Pav. Ironically, he was injured applying defensive pressure.

Enjoy your quiet week.

Fyfe has become even better, Ballas has been much better than last year, Hilly has improved, Suban's last few weeks have been much better than he was last year, Ibbo has been even better this year than last, MJ has been at a higher level for most of this year (he wasn't great last night), and especially Sutty, Neale and Gu have greatly improved on last year's form. I also think the team as a whole understands Ross's plan better than last year - although execution remains less than perfect.

Balanced by injuries to Walters and Elvis, plus all of Mayne, deBoer, C Pearce, Spurr and Crowley haven't had seasons that were as good as the ones they had last year. Barlow and Mundy have been more patchy (less consistent?) than last season also.

The other big change is I think the rest of the comp has had more time to analyse Freo's game plan and has (especially in the second half of this year) worked out ways to attack us and limit our effectiveness on the rebound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back