Unofficial Preview St Kilda V Suns @ Metricon Aug 2 7:40 on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm feeling a win this weekend. A comfortable win. GC are cooked and we are reinvigorated with Sir Lenny announcing his retirement.

Stupid F#$%*n draft system, we should be allowed to barrack for our team to win.

At this point of the season, it would be good to get StKilda, GWS , Melbourne and Brisbane , and say... guys the team that finishes highest gets first pick.
It must be hard for Brisbane as well, since their team is giving it a crack now.

Then again, if Melbourne get a pick in front of us, they are bound to choose the player who will ultimately suck.

At this point of the season, it would be good to get StKilda, GWS , Melbourne and Brisbane , and say... guys the team that finishes highest gets first pick.
It must be hard for Brisbane as well, since their team is giving it a crack now.

Then again, if Melbourne get a pick in front of us, they are bound to choose the player who will ultimately suck.
there was a uni teacher on SEN who had devised a system that when you were no longer mathematically able to make the finals your draft position was fixed.
If 2 teams became ineligible the same week it would turn to percentage to decide.
After your position was fixed your free to win games without it effecting your draft position.
It sounded like a better system.

there was a uni teacher on SEN who had devised a system that when you were no longer mathematically able to make the finals your draft position was fixed.
If 2 teams became ineligible the same week it would turn to percentage to decide.
After your position was fixed your free to win games without it effecting your draft position.
It sounded like a better system.

Couldn't you just tank at the start of the season instead?

What you want and what you actually get sometimes can be two different things :)

I want to win against GC, Tigers, and Doggies which lets face it if we play like we played against Freo we could do. However what we will actually get is IMO most likely to be different. At least IMO we won't get the 60 point thrashing which was routinely happening...
Don't forget how we finished off last season once we got a few back from injury and had something to play for though. We beat Gold Coast convincingly and then demolished (an albeit very weakened) Freo the following week and then of course we started off this year with two wins (making it 4 on the trot for us as a club) and then had another very good win over Essendon in the next 3 games, lost another game by 3 points in that time and also were super-competitive against an in-form West Coast in Perth (well on top of them until we ran out of gas), so we showed during that period of time that we can play good and reasonably consistent footy if we have anywhere near our best team out on the park. So I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't play much more like we did last game than most of our previous 11 this week and from now on, especially if we have a decent run with injury between now and the end of the season.

This week for instance we could be effectively adding both Steven and Dempster to our dominant team of last round and then next week we may also add Gilbert, so if we could do what we did last round to the 2nd ranked team in the comp (who were playing for top spot), without those 3, it makes you wonder what we are capable of doing if we add those 3 to the mix (and don't lose anyone else of major note in the meantime).

Last edited:
Good luck getting a crowd and selling memberships

We ain't exactly doing that particularly well with the current system. :p

My point was more that if someone wants to tank they will find a hole in any system. I would be interested to see how the ladder of that system compares to recent ladders.

We ain't exactly doing that particularly well with the current system. :p

My point was more that if someone wants to tank they will find a hole in any system. I would be interested to see how the ladder of that system compares to recent ladders.
He had done the last 5 years and the clubs that needed early picks had got them.
I reckon you would have quite a few problems if you were starting the season with thoughts of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget how we finished off last season once we got a few back from injury and had something to play for though. We beat Gold Coast convincingly and then demolished (an albeit very weakened) Freo the following week and then of course we started off this year with two wins (making it 4 on the trot for us as a club) and then had another very good win over Essendon in the next 3 games, lost another game by 3 points in that time and also were super-competitive against an in-form West Coast in Perth (well on top of them until we ran out of gas), so we showed during that period of time that we can play good and reasonably consistent footy if we have anywhere near our best team out on the park. So I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't play much more like we did last game than most of our previous 11 this week and from now on, especially if we have a decent run with injury between now and the end of the season.

This week for instance we could be effectively adding both Steven and Dempster to our dominant team of last round and then next week we may also add Gilbert, so if we could do what we did last round to the 2nd ranked team in the comp (who were playing for top spot), without those 3, it makes you wonder what we are capable of doing if we add those 3 to the mix (and don't lose anyone else of major note in the meantime).

I think we'll play better than what we have been (Freo game not withstanding) and yes the senior players returning make a huge difference to our structure - Fisher especially. Steven might be underdone this week and Gilbert when he returns to AFL might also be a bit rusty after such a long lay-off.

I take your point but I don't have the same level of optimism. We have been putrid for a large portion of this season. We know the reasons for this. I don't think this is the turning point and from now on we'll play like we did last weekend for the last 5 weeks. Generally you can only play as well as the other team let you!

You also have to take into the account the opposition - in this case GC. They have been under intense media scrutiny with the whole can't win without Ablett angle. McKenna has come out as has senior GC players who have dsaid this is not good enough. Watch for them to come out firing. Plus it is away at GC in the humidity (assuming it is humid this time of year happy to be corrected).

In our favor we have had the week off and they had a tough slog in the wet last week so that might be a factor.

I'd go with that. All HE's good for at the moment.
Dude, against Freo, Schneids had 24 touches, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 5 1%s, 3 I50s, 1.2 goals, 116DT points. I'd say he's good for something.

I think we'll play better than what we have been (Freo game not withstanding) and yes the senior players returning make a huge difference to our structure - Fisher especially. Steven might be underdone this week and Gilbert when he returns to AFL might also be a bit rusty after such a long lay-off.

I take your point but I don't have the same level of optimism. We have been putrid for a large portion of this season. We know the reasons for this. I don't think this is the turning point and from now on we'll play like we did last weekend for the last 5 weeks. Generally you can only play as well as the other team let you!

You also have to take into the account the opposition - in this case GC. They have been under intense media scrutiny with the whole can't win without Ablett angle. McKenna has come out as has senior GC players who have dsaid this is not good enough. Watch for them to come out firing. Plus it is away at GC in the humidity (assuming it is humid this time of year happy to be corrected).

In our favor we have had the week off and they had a tough slog in the wet last week so that might be a factor.
Lots of things I agree with in there and I'm not expecting that we'll play as incredibly well as we did last round from now on, or that Gold Coast for instance will necessarily play like they did last week again this week, but I do think that in spite of our injuries through the mid part of the year that we were still playing at a far lower level for much of that time than we were capable of and that it has taken the return of a few like Chips and Schneids to give us our preferred structure back, but I also think the whole Lenny thing has added that other vital piece and that was a reason/motivation to actually go out and give it a real red hot crack again and that that is what made such a big difference last week.

Prior to last week we just didn't seem to have had that since the early part of the year and were just basically going through the motions to a fair degree, IMO and I think that's probably why we've been so bloody rubbish in so many first quarters, but if we've actually recaptured our motivation to play and our desire and belief again, then I don't see any real reason why we should suddenly drop right off again, especially as our team right now is not really mega-young or anything and since anyone who was running out of gas has just had a week off.

It's not like we're this year's version of 2011/12 Gold Coast, or 2012/13 GWS, where half or more of our team are 21yo and under.

Against Gold Coast we'll only have 5 who are 21yo or younger if we line up as named, compared to their 12- more than half their team are still 21yo or younger! :eek:- and if Gilbo for instance were to come back the following week, we may be down to as few as 4 who are 21yo or younger against WB, which would, I imagine, be less than them as well.

So with all that being the case and with us having a stronger team on paper than the one we demolished Freo with last round (and with the likes of Billings, Dunstan and Murdoch having had I'd suggest a much needed rest over the bye) I don't see any reason at all as to why we shouldn't expect some pretty good things from our team for the remainder of the year. (Unless we're tanking, or just automatically expect mediocrity from our team).

Our team is now reasonably settled, the likes of Fisher, Schneider and Roberton now have at least a couple of games under their belts since their return, our structure is almost ideal (a lot better than it has been for much of the year), we're no longer really missing any hugely vital pieces of our best 22 (those who are missing are not necessarily big upgrades now on those who are currently in their place- eg. Longer v Hickey: one is better in the ruck, the other around the ground, Geary v Gwilt/Mav/Curren/Murdoch, Gilbo v Roberton/Ray/Bruce/Murdoch), those who needed a rest have now had a week off, we look like we have found a reason to have a crack again, our team is not overly young any more and this week for instance we have 9 in our team who have played between 1 and 5 GF's each, with 3 more in there who were around when we were playing GF's, so I see plenty of reasons why we can be confident of us being very competitive if we don't get complacent after our 1 win and if we don't have another bad injury run.

Last edited:
Lots of things I agree with in there and I'm not expecting that we'll play as incredibly well as we did last round from now on, or that Gold Coast for instance will necessarily play like they did last week again this week, but I do think that in spite of our injuries through the mid part of the year that we were still playing at a far lower level for much of that time than we were capable of and that it has taken the return of a few like Chips and Schneids to give us our preferred structure back, but I also think the whole Lenny thing has added that other vital piece and that was a reason/motivation to actually go out and give it a real red hot crack again and that that is what made such a big difference last week.

Prior to last week we just didn't seem to have had that since the early part of the year and were just basically going through the motions to a fair degree, IMO and I think that's probably why we've been so bloody rubbish in so many first quarters, but if we've actually recaptured our motivation to play and our desire and belief again, then I don't see any real reason why we should suddenly drop right off again, especially as our team right now is not really mega-young or anything and since anyone who was running out of gas has just had a week off.

It's not like we're this year's version of 2011/12 Gold Coast, or 2012/13 GWS, where half or more of our team are 21yo and under.

Against Gold Coast we'll only have 5 who are 21yo or younger if we line up as named, compared to their 12- more than half their team are still 21yo or younger! :eek:- and if Gilbo for instance were to come back the following week, we may be down to as few as 4 who are 21yo or younger against WB, which would, I imagine, be less than them as well.

So with all that being the case and with us having a stronger team on paper than the one we demolished Freo with last round (and with the likes of Billings, Dunstan and Murdoch having had I'd suggest a much needed rest over the bye) I don't see any reason at all as to why we shouldn't expect some pretty good things from our team for the remainder of the year. (Unless we're tanking, or just automatically expect mediocrity from our team).

Our team is now reasonably settled, the likes of Fisher, Schneider and Roberton now have at least a couple of games under their belts since their return, our structure is almost ideal (a lot better than it has been for much of the year), we're no longer really missing any hugely vital pieces of our best 22 (those who are missing are not necessarily big upgrades now on those who are currently in their place- eg. Longer v Hickey: one is better in the ruck, the other around the ground, Geary v Gwilt/Mav/Curren/Murdoch, Gilbo v Roberton/Ray/Bruce/Murdoch), those who needed a rest have now had a week off, we look like we have found a reason to have a crack again, our team is not overly young any more and this week for instance we have 9 in our team who have played between 1 and 5 GF's each, with 3 more in there who were around when we were playing GF's, so I see plenty of reasons why we can be confident of us being very competitive if we don't get complacent after our 1 win and if we don't have another bad injury run.

:thumbsu:
Steve I guess it comes down to the fact that I am nervous to jump on the bandwagon especially with some of the efforts that have been dished up this year. I also want pick 1 as I think that will allow us to do well in the draft (either Petracca or trade it for a top 10 pick and player). We also get pick 1 in the psd which allows us to pick up someone without having to deal with a club (Jaksch for example). If you're going to finish down the bottom it might as well be bottom.

Saying that, I'd love to win some more games for member ships, sponsorships, and positivity running thru the club for the players themselves - especially the young ones. The one I really want is the doggies as its the last home game and the official farewell to Lenny...

I guess I want to want to win 2 or 3 more but still finish last - I can have my cake and eat it too can't I?;):p:D

As terrible as this sounds, I'm not overly keen to win this game.
I REALLY want to win against the dogs for Lenny, but if we win both then we'll probably get pick 4

I am a glass half empty kind of guy.

But if we win we lose the first draft pick:(, if we lose we become the first team to lose to Gold Coast without Gazza. :(

Damn it just win and hope we get whomever we want anyway.

Dude, against Freo, Schneids had 24 touches, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 5 1%s, 3 I50s, 1.2 goals, 116DT points. I'd say he's good for something.
A few weeks ago I could've sworn that the Schneiderman was cooked.
I was pleasantly surprised that he kicked some serious arse V's Freo. It looks like I had a case of 'premature adjudication' when it came to writing him off.
Lets hope he continues the good form against the Suns :thumbsu::thumbsu:

A few weeks ago I could've sworn that the Schneiderman was cooked.
I was pleasantly surprised that he kicked some serious arse V's Freo. It looks like I had a case of 'premature adjudication' when it came to writing him off.
Lets hope he continues the good form against the Suns :thumbsu::thumbsu:
That happens to me. I find the best way to avoid it is to be calm, and try to think about something else... ANYTHING else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back