Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Rnd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the Goodes selection is to take him down to Tassie as an emergency (which means he probably won't play) and allow other players to get a full game in the VFL.
Have very good knowledge that there will debutants for Footscray this weekend. Probably more than one.

Mark Austin
Why is this guy in the team. He 25 years old now. He is The fall over king. He has no special talent at all. But worse, he has chinks. He was a dud at Carlton, and a dud since he joined us. He averages 9 disposals a game. That doesn't tell the whole story I know. He is a tall in the backline maybe? Didn't do much good against Essendon last match with Carlisle grabbing everything. How does he get a game? He must mow the coach's lawn. Maybe the coach hates Talia more. A mystery to me. He will never be any good because he has no elite talent at all. He has no good signs.

Fletcher Roberts
He doesn't appear to have too many special talents. Not a high flying mark, not good at his feet, not a run and carry man, doesn't appear to have any mongrel in him at all and not a great tackler or chaser. He stands around and looks on too much for my liking, he doesn't seem to have energy in him. What do people see in him? He is a dud I reckon.
Austin didn't play on Carlisle in the last match so can't blame him for that whatsoever. I don't know why he's currently in the team, but he's solid backup. Shouldn't be playing every week.

As for Roberts, he has amazing game sense and just has a great footy brain, and he'll be a good player.

Just some comments

Mark Austin
Why is this guy in the team. He 25 years old now. He is The fall over king. He has no special talent at all. But worse, he has chinks. He was a dud at Carlton, and a dud since he joined us. He averages 9 disposals a game. That doesn't tell the whole story I know. He is a tall in the backline maybe? Didn't do much good against Essendon last match with Carlisle grabbing everything. How does he get a game? He must mow the coach's lawn. Maybe the coach hates Talia more. A mystery to me. He will never be any good because he has no elite talent at all. He has no good signs.

Sam Darley
Play this guy when you can. I am impressed by him. He will be a better player than Stevens, Wood or Honeychurch. I hope he will be a long-term good player for the side.

Bret Goodes
I like him because he takes risks, but unfortunately he stuffs up too much.

Tom Campbell
Hope that we can get more games into him. He is a great talent.

Fletcher Roberts
He doesn't appear to have too many special talents. Not a high flying mark, not good at his feet, not a run and carry man, doesn't appear to have any mongrel in him at all and not a great tackler or chaser. He stands around and looks on too much for my liking, he doesn't seem to have energy in him. What do people see in him? He is a dud I reckon.

Can anybody please tell me what good they see in Austin and Roberts.
Roberts reads the play beautifully and makes a lot of intercepts masking his lack of speed, has competed physically since day one despite being pencil thin to begin with, is mobile and offers a fair bit at both ends of the ground. Far from it, I think he'll be a very good player for us, at either end of the ground.

Agree on Darley, seems a touch random picking out Stevens, Wood and Honeychurch as players he'll be better than. They're all very different players and play different roles.

I like your attitude towards Goodes, in that you appreciate his daring but can't tolerate the mistakes, more people could adopt that outlook. I love his approach and he's clearly too good for the VFL but he just makes too many errors at AFL level.

Roberts reads the play beautifully and makes a lot of intercepts masking his lack of speed, has competed physically since day one despite being pencil thin to begin with, is mobile and offers a fair bit at both ends of the ground. Far from it, I think he'll be a very good player for us, at either end of the ground.
Not only that, but the big one - Composure. Fletch has it in spades.

Not only that, but the big one - Composure. Fletch has it in spades.
:thumbsu:

Me and my Dad love him. I can appreciate that he's being managed carefully by the coaches and the selection committee, but I'd like to see him play more games at AFL level. Special talent. Could yet end up playing forward, too.

With Austin I can only assume he's going to be given the rest of the season to see if he merits a spot on the list. He must do things that are only impressive internally, he might work better in the structure of the defence than others for instance.

Id like to hear ANY explanation that make sense as to why Goodes has even been named as a chance to play no matter how well he is or isn't goin on the VFL?

People ask for points on why other people still shake their heads about Macca well ladies and gentlemen I present you exhibit A

Makes no sense in anyway and no spin can justify it

Id like to hear ANY explanation that make sense as to why Goodes has even been named as a chance to play no matter how well he is or isn't goin on the VFL?

People ask for points on why other people still shake their heads about Macca well ladies and gentlemen I present you exhibit A

Man oh man, I avoid the McCartney coaching thread because of you... and now you start in here too.

There is nothing wrong with holding a strong opinion - this is footy and that is why we love it. But if everything you say is agendered (i.e. contains your agenda) then it becomes tedious and irrelevant (see aforementioned thread).

Last edited:
Oh contraire
As stated earlier, goodes is the perfect emergency
As Austin, he is really quite solid with a bit of toe for a man his size. He took some surprisingly good intercept and relief marks v essendon

The question has been asked often, where was he when Carlisle was taking those marks, where was he? We'll the same question should be asked of 6 or 8 others?

I like to think Austin would have easily accounted for Carlisle but for the lack faith shown by the defensive coach and some loud and rude bulldog supporters

Austin will rule

Austin is destined for big things
And many will be amazed

The question is what does he lack?
The answer is nothing but faith and support. Viva Austin

Love your passion for the man...hope you are right as we need another KP defender. But I am afraid I don't see it and in general I always look for the good and positive when I can. Just have yet to see anything in Austin to make me think he's going to be a gun stopper at this level. Time will tell hey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love your passion for the man...hope you are right as we need another KP defender. But I am afraid I don't see it and in general I always look for the good and positive when I can. Just have yet to see anything in Austin to make me think he's going to be a gun stopper at this level. Time will tell hey.
I don't think anyone thinks he's going to be a gun but he's definitely capable of playing on the 3rd tall. Woods been better on smaller players, Youngs been crap all year, Coaches probably see Fletch and Talia playing on the talls, so we don't have many options for those 3rd talls (actually we have the perfect option in Moz but doesn't look like that's going to happen...) and there's some pretty dangerous 3rd talls going around.

Ideally Z Cordy takes over the role next year and offers a bit more offensively but I can see the reasoning in Austin playing there in the mean time.

Edit: and he's a good option for Gunston, reckon he will play well, and probably still cop a pasting on here after the game...

I think Macca is just saying to the players that you are not going to be gifted games, you have earn them. He's not interested in playing players for the sake of giving them game time. I think he's sending them a message....earn your spot.

I think we all expected they would blood players, gift games to fast track and that's the way it's usually done. I expected we would too.

However the difference is we now have Footscray and Macca prefers players to develop there, earn their spot with consistent application. The ability to control what happens at that level is why they leave Jones, Roberts, Cordy and Campbell there to work on things. It's why we have dropped the likes of Higgins and Wood. We are building a winning culture at that level while developing players.

I'm surprised as you, but if he is thinking this way, I don't mind it. Message is loud and clear. Earn your spot.

I don't think anyone thinks he's going to be a gun but he's definitely capable of playing on the 3rd tall. Woods been better on smaller players, Youngs been crap all year, Coaches probably see Fletch and Talia playing on the talls, so we don't have many options for those 3rd talls (actually we have the perfect option in Moz but doesn't look like that's going to happen...) and there's some pretty dangerous 3rd talls going around.

Ideally Z Cordy takes over the role next year and offers a bit more offensively but I can see the reasoning in Austin playing there in the mean time.

Edit: and he's a good option for Gunston, reckon he will play well, and probably still cop a pasting on here after the game...

I won't paste you, I hope your right. There is something the MC like about him. I will watch him very closely over the remaining weeks and see what he does off ball and see if I can see what they see.

Just some comments
Fletcher Roberts

Just how many games of the VFL have you watched this year ? That is a serious question.
If you have just walked in and out of a room where the VFL is on ABC then that probably backs up writing these sorts of posts.

Sit at ground level and tell me any AFL player is not hard at it. Ive seen Roberts take a battering at times in the VFL this year. He can take a hit dont worry.

First thing you need to accept is that he is a mark waugh / pendlebury type.
So when he has the ball he looks like he has alot of time, and uses the ball incredibly well for a tall backman.
That also gives an impression he is not quick and not going hard - which isnt actually the case.

All I want to see is him put on more bulk so he can be stronger in one on ones against the beasts.
But he is still only young.

This terrifies me. Even more terrifying is looking a few weeks ahead and who we will match up on Buddy. This is the first time for a while we haven't had Lake to take him and I don't think Morris can go with him.

Well why would we try to justify it ? You know it all already so that is all that needs to be said.

I think Macca is just saying to the players that you are not going to be gifted games, you have earn them. He's not interested in playing players for the sake of giving them game time. I think he's sending them a message....earn your spot.

I think we all expected they would blood players, gift games to fast track and that's the way it's usually done. I expected we would too.

However the difference is we now have Footscray and Macca prefers players to develop there, earn their spot with consistent application. The ability to control what happens at that level is why they leave Jones, Roberts, Cordy and Campbell there to work on things. It's why we have dropped the likes of Higgins and Wood. We are building a winning culture at that level while developing players.

I'm surprised as you, but if he is thinking this way, I don't mind it. Message is loud and clear. Earn your spot.

Very sensible response , but it won't do for our friend MD.
I know all about Goodes history playing at AFL level, but he is miles ahead of most at VFL level and gives his all.
He is a big reason we are bathing in the glory of having a top 3 team at that level.
He made the Bomber VFL boys look stupid last game. Not many of them will end as good a footballer than he has been.

This terrifies me. Even more terrifying is looking a few weeks ahead and who we will match up on Buddy. This is the first time for a while we haven't had Lake to take him and I don't think Morris can go with him.
I think Austin is a decent match up for Gunston, if Hawks get well on top he will be well beaten anyway though.

Think Talia is probably the best match up we have for Buddy, would love to bring in him and tell him to show us how much he's improved over the year.

One way to look at team selection at the moment is we know that some players are going to be best 22 next year - Wood, Jones, Roberts, Higgins* etc...

But we have to make some hard decisions about guys like Austin, Redpath, Goodes... So its sink or swim time for these guys.

And at this stage of the year with the draft on the horizon and no finals in sight, I don't think the MC is much interested in win/loss...

Just how many games of the VFL have you watched this year ? That is a serious question.
If you have just walked in and out of a room where the VFL is on ABC then that probably backs up writing these sorts of posts.

Sit at ground level and tell me any AFL player is not hard at it. Ive seen Roberts take a battering at times in the VFL this year. He can take a hit dont worry.

First thing you need to accept is that he is a mark waugh / pendlebury type.
So when he has the ball he looks like he has alot of time, and uses the ball incredibly well for a tall backman.
That also gives an impression he is not quick and not going hard - which isnt actually the case.

All I want to see is him put on more bulk so he can be stronger in one on ones against the beasts.
But he is still only young.
First I will say I'm a Roberts Fan yet little nails has some points. Currently Roberts biggest problem is getting into games. He is at times a little too laconic. He keeps on his man, actually is a nice mark (wrong there little nails) and kick yet there are times when he should be more involved, eg: get to the contest and the next contest to back up your team mates. Yet he is working on it all. Best of all he has confidence with the ball in his hand. The exact opposite to Austin and thats why Roberts will make it and Austin wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back