Essendon officially recognises LGBTI member group

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
So why do you care about this issue at all then? The LGBTI community have welcomed it, why can't you?

This membership promotes a point of difference and segregation, rather than promoting equality. By creating something entirely new and different only for gay people, it defeats the purpose of preaching equality.

Ok we want everyone to be equal, but just in case you want to be different, here's a special membership only you have access to and perhaps even a place only you can sit.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So long as they're forced to sit in a special part of the stadium where no one else can see them I'm cool with this.

Tre Bones

Senior List
Mar 14, 2008
Weston Creek
AFL Club
Essendon
So good to know so many of you are so knowledgeable about what us gay people want and that know that we are all exactly the same and we all want the same thing :)

So good to know so many of you are so knowledgeable about what us gay people want and that know that we are all exactly the same and we all want the same thing :)
Okay, so what are your thoughts on this?

George-Orwell-inspirational-quotes.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Can I ask you a serious question, you say you are a gay person, that's great.

How do you honestly feel about this? Try and ignore the fact that it's your club doing it, because people have a tendancy to defend their own clubs decisions.

If hypothetically the Essendon FC created a section of the crowd for gay people only, would you support that? Would that promote equality in your eyes? Would you choose to sit there or would you sit in the non assigned section of the crowd?

How would feel if there were memberships created for other minority groups in society, with other sections in the crowd you could only sit in if you belonged to a certain cultural/religious/society group?

Now obviously you don't represent the whole gay community, so your view shouldn't be taken as gospel as what every gay person wants/feels, but it's good to get different opinions.

Tre Bones

Senior List
Mar 14, 2008
Weston Creek
AFL Club
Essendon

How do you honestly feel about this? Try and ignore the fact that it's your club doing it, because people have a tendancy to defend their own clubs decisions.

If hypothetically the Essendon FC created a section of the crowd for gay people only, would you support that? Would that promote equality in your eyes? Would you choose to sit there or would you sit in the non assigned section of the crowd?

How would feel if there were memberships created for other minority groups in society, with other sections in the crowd you could only sit in if you belonged to a certain cultural/religious/society group?

Now obviously you don't represent the whole gay community, so your view shouldn't be taken as gospel as what every gay person wants/feels, but it's good to get different opinions.

Well don't live locally so not sure if it the membership will even suit me but even if it does will probably just get my regular membership. But if others want to do it and think it is for them may they can get all up in it.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a public stand against homophobia. Good on em.

People just love to complain.

it would be a stand if gays weren't previously allowed memberships. but there's no restrictions on gays whatsoever. if they had special memberships based on race or religion, people wouldn't stand for that. if they had a 'straight' membership you can imagine what the uproar would be like. this doesn't unite, this segregates which is exactly what we don't want in society.

AJB84

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

How do you honestly feel about this?

If my club had one I would not buy it partly because I don't think it is needed and partly because I would be afraid of it making me a target.

DardySingh360

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Do I support gay rights and gay marriage? Absolutely.

Do I support equality? Absolutely.

We're all humans, lets just stop segregating people for these things

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
As a gay guy I am glad that Essendon is recognising our community. However, I agree with others in this thread that I don't really see the point of a gay membership. I don't see what purpose it serves other than segregating us.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous, they aren't forcing all gay/lesbian members to buy this membership!!

Anyone that wants to or is comfortable displaying the fact that they are gay/lesbian/bi can now express that at the football, I don't see a problem with it.

Essendon isn't going around saying 'Hey you, I heard you're gay - you can only buy this membership!', it's providing people with an option (and presumably there might be an option to sit together as a group - which will help people meet gay/lesbian people with an interest in footy).

This. Although Essendon will probably set it up in a similar way as their womens network membership http://m.essendonfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Corporate/EWN 2013 Membership Package.pdf

theduckfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Mar 31, 2007
GB
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Inter,Victory, Liverpool
It's a social issue that Australia is behind the times on. If it were Carlton or Hawthorn I would still applaud them for taking the initiative over this.
So to counter that we are going to create a special membership just for them.

They want to be treated equally, ie: be able to purchase the same memberships as others.

You are creating a bigger divide by separating them from straight people.

Back