Miracle Match by Ken Piesse

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I was at the MCG today (sorry I was not at the Roys against Old Hailbury) but Ken Piesse was having a launch of his new book 'Miracle Match' that relates the Fitzroy win, at the BSO in 1963 against the Premiers Geelong.

It was the only match we won for two years.

It is a ripping read and Ken is having another launch at the Fitzroy Bowling Club in a few weeks. I have two copies, a hard and soft back, but there is still some left. Could someone with computer skills put a link thingo to Ken's site and the book? I may buy some more.

Had it autographed by, no bugger it, come along to the launch where everyone will be there and we can compare autographs.

Thanks Phil, launch by the fitzroy FC historical society is on Wednesday 16 July from 7 pm, 8 players from the team there, everyone welcome Ken
This is an email from the Master (Ken Piesse) to DERRINALPHIL so come along and meet Fitzroy Royality

Just got my copy of Miracle match, lots of great photos and lots of great memories of past players.Do yourselves a favour and grab a copy,mine came with signatures of some of the players who played in the match.
Go the mighty Lions!

The only highlight within two seasons of hell. My dad and I attended every game during this winless horror stretch, except that my father had to work on the Federal election on the day of this game against Geelong. I went with my mum and remember it as a bitterly cold day. Sandwiches and a thermos were our sustenance. We managed to get a seat right on the fence, by arriving really early. That mattered not much, as the seconds played before the main game in those days. On reflection, it might have even been in the days when the thirds played the curtain-raiser.

Clements, on that day, absolutely thrashed Farmer, the best ruckman there has ever been. He never reached these heights before or after, but what did that matter? That we won without Kevin Murray in the team made it even more extraordinary. I always think of this game when someone makes the (usually vacuous) comment that any team can beat another, on any given day. One of the unpredictable aspects which make me love sport.

My dad had a bad run in such things. He missed the 1944 GF because my mum's sister married an RAAF chappy on that day. It was the only period of leave the airman was able to get. The only footage my parents saw of the game was in a newsreel at the local pictures, a week later. Having switched his affections to Brisbane after the merger, he was fated to die in March of the year in which they won their first premiership. He used to remember attending Fitzroy's 1922 flag win with some fondness.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back