AIHL 2014 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

When you get booted from the game for fighting there isn't too much to work with outside of a bit of niggle.

Not true at all. Most leagues outside of North America give you the boot if you fight. That doesn't mean that a) fights don't happen and b) there are not huge rivalries. In fact, it means that any fights that do occur are very heated, because you know what's at stake. You don't get the painfully scripted and "tactical" fights like you get in the NHL.

For example. That was a huge turning point in the match.

Furthermore, given all of the concussion dramas that the NHL has experienced in recent years (along with other sports) I wouldn't be surprised at all if they started booting fighters too.

And finally, rivalries are built on more than just fighting. They generally come from a mixture of close encounters and proximity.

I see your points and you are well and truly more qualified to speak on the issue than I am. Those fire starters do happen but they happen rarely, which is what I mean by not having much to work with. Sure there will be a day when a Melb derby ends 4-3 in a shootout after something controversial happened causing fights etc. But for standard games where the scoreline is a lot more lopsided and the game isn't so great, the restrictions do make it feel like there isn't too much to work with, which is what I experienced at my first derby.

I see your points and you are well and truly more qualified to speak on the issue than I am. Those fire starters do happen but they happen rarely, which is what I mean by not having much to work with. Sure there will be a day when a Melb derby ends 4-3 in a shootout after something controversial happened causing fights etc. But for standard games where the scoreline is a lot more lopsided and the game isn't so great, the restrictions do make it feel like there isn't too much to work with, which is what I experienced at my first derby.

It takes time to build rivalries, even if the two teams are in the same state, just like we've seen with GWS vs Sydney and Brisbane vs Gold Coast.

Also these are only semi-professional players yeah? They probably can't afford to fight too much if they have to go to work on Monday.

They're more of an "every so often" type deal IRRC. Though there is one game recorded per week as a "match of the round" type deal and then it's shown delayed on Fox Sports. Not sure if it ends up anywhere online.

They're more of an "every so often" type deal IRRC. Though there is one game recorded per week as a "match of the round" type deal and then it's shown delayed on Fox Sports. Not sure if it ends up anywhere online.

It's not a full game, we get it up here in Cairns on the Community Channel...........sometimes.

Melbourne Mustangs defeated the Canberra Brave last night, making them the first team to qualify for the 2014 AIHL Finals.. Their first finals appearance in club history.
10492075_703669426335456_1877419237819231909_n.jpg

Also got an acknowledgement from a little known NHL club.
rain.jpg

Last edited:
Yepp, they can go 2 from 2 in Canberra today which will be a huge statement. They have a home game against the Ice on Thursday. Will be a healthy Mustangs crowd then.

I've asked both the Ice and AIHL if any of todays games will be streamed but haven't got a response yet. Have a feeling they won't be.

Yepp, they can go 2 from 2 in Canberra today which will be a huge statement. They have a home game against the Ice on Thursday. Will be a healthy Mustangs crowd then.

I've asked both the Ice and AIHL if any of todays games will be streamed but haven't got a response yet. Have a feeling they won't be.

This league needs coverage.
Almost makes me want to move back to Melbourne.

The CBR Brave are the 2nd team to qualify for the 2014 AIHL Finals for the first time in their short History after defeating the Mustangs 4-2.

BuqqDCGCMAA0WiD.jpg

(Credit to CBR Brave twitter for the picture)

The Melbourne Ice have also qualified for the 2014 AIHL Finals after beating the Adelaide Adrenaline 3-1 today. The game will be shown on Fox Sports sometime during the week. Interesting to note that the Mustangs lost one of the Hughes brothers and Bourke for the Melbourne derby on Thursday. Which appears to have moved times from 5pm to 8pm (Which means I can attend, woo) Those outs swing things in favour of the Ice in my opinion.

10599166_10152639039499851_6201896143852615939_n.jpg

(Pic taken from the AIHL Facebook page)

Now it's just out of the Sydney Ice Dogs, Adelaide Adrenaline and Newcastle North Stars for the 4th spot in the finals.

EDIT: The CBR Brave commentator has thrown a few of us off.. The Ice still need 1 point from their final 4 games to qualify. So they're about 95% in at the moment ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mustangs_IHC_Logo.png vvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv melb_ice_v_logo_new1.jpg

It's hockey night in Melbourne as the Melbourne Mustangs host the Melbourne Ice in the final regular season Derby of the year.

Another healthy crowd will gather in the Medibank IceHouse as the Ice look to grab at least a single point to officially secure their spot in the 2014 AIHL finals. It's the first home game since the Mustangs booked their ticket to the 2014 finals after defeating the Canberra Brave 4-2 on Saturday the 9th of August. What better way is there to celebrate tonight than to delay the Ice in clinching their finals spot? The Ice have won two out of the 3 matches so far between the clubs this season. However The Melbourne Mustangs grabbed the biggest win between the clubs this year in their previous match-up, storming home 8-3 after making the Ice pay on the many, many breakaways they gave to the Mustangs.

Vinnie Hughes and Jamie Bourke will play for The Mustangs despite initial thoughts they'd have to miss due to their misconducts in the second game against the Canberra Brave on the weekend.

kykek.jpg

With these players still in I'm going to have to predict a 5-3 victory for The Mustangs tonight.

The game will be live streamed here:
http://new.livestream.com/atcproductions

Go Ice.

Victory is ours! Ice win 5-1.

The Mustangs are the more skilled Ice Hockey team but my lord do they have brain fades. They've had 2 brain fades in a row against Canberra and now Melbourne, teams which they can expect to face in the finals. They need to learn to pull their heads in when things get tough or the Goodall Cup won't be going their way.

The Ice are a composed team, not the most skilled but they will keep their cool and keep giving it a crack.
When the Mustangs smashed the Ice earlier in the year it was due do the Ices poor Hockey performance, their skills and positioning etc. However when the roles were reversed tonight the Mustangs still had their chances and played decent hockey, it was just all lost between their ears when they chose to get angry instead of even.

I just read that the game sold out, it sure as hell felt like it. We were crammed in like sardines.

Victory is ours! Ice win 5-1.

The Mustangs are the more skilled Ice Hockey team but my lord do they have brain fades. They've had 2 brain fades in a row against Canberra and now Melbourne, teams which they can expect to face in the finals. They need to learn to pull their heads in when things get tough or the Goodall Cup won't be going their way.

The Ice are a composed team, not the most skilled but they will keep their cool and keep giving it a crack.
When the Mustangs smashed the Ice earlier in the year it was due do the Ices poor Hockey performance, their skills and positioning etc. However when the roles were reversed tonight the Mustangs still had their chances and played decent hockey, it was just all lost between their ears when they chose to get angry instead of even.

I just read that the game sold out, it sure as hell felt like it. We were crammed in like sardines.

Hey FedEx not at all sure just how you judge skill in a team?
Both teams have a collection of very skillful players but to judge the mustangs as a more skilled outfit is almost pointless.
Tonight showed, yet again, that any team can beat another in this league. It is very much about composure, discipline & eliminating errors.
Steve De Witt was very whistle shy tonight but he did pick up a number of cheap and late shots which are often allowed to go unpunished. Bravo ref! There were more that he let go.
With another 3 games before finals anything could happen and positions within the final four could change dramatically.
Fraser Carson was not as tight as his coach would like tonight, particularly in that final period. His angles were shocking on a couple of goals. The mustangs could have scored a few earlier but it didn't happen. Tomorrow could see a totally different score! It is that sort of season.

"Both teams have a collection of very skillful players but to judge the mustangs as a more skilled outfit is almost pointless." - This is a forum where the point is to discuss the teams and how they shape up against each other. Sitting on the fence isn't any fun for this thread. I call it as I see it and I overheard a few neutrals around me with the same opinions as me last night. Of course any team can beat another, doesn't mean we can't think one is the more skilled team. Obviously skill isn't the only thing needed in an Ice Hockey match. I don't have any science behind it, i just watch hockey. I could very well be wrong, but I'm only a bigfooty poster, doesn't matter if I'm wrong in the end.

"It is very much about composure, discipline & eliminating errors." Two of those are reasons I gave for the Ice winning tonight so we agree there.

"Both teams have a collection of very skillful players but to judge the mustangs as a more skilled outfit is almost pointless." - This is a forum where the point is to discuss the teams and how they shape up against each other. Sitting on the fence isn't any fun for this thread. I call it as I see it and I overheard a few neutrals around me with the same opinions as me last night. Of course any team can beat another, doesn't mean we can't think one is the more skilled team. Obviously skill isn't the only thing needed in an Ice Hockey match. I don't have any science behind it, i just watch hockey. I could very well be wrong, but I'm only a bigfooty poster, doesn't matter if I'm wrong in the end.

"It is very much about composure, discipline & eliminating errors." Two of those are reasons I gave for the Ice winning tonight so we agree there.
Point taken FEdEx but the strong statement regarding the mustangs being a more skillful team is certainly open to a lot of debate.
The horses spent a lot of time embedded in their offensive zone and seemed to control play HOWEVER they scored one goal and that was a rush from O'Kane who is a gem of a player. Joey Hughes has spent a career holding the puck while his team mates work their arses off getting in good position and then showing them how well he can keep holding the puck. Story on Thursday really!

Huge day today.

- Sydney Ice Dogs (4th) vs Perth Thunder (7th)

- Canberra Brave (3rd) vs Adelaide Adrenaline (5th)

- North Stars (6th) vs Melbourne Mustangs (1st)

Ice Dogs, Adrenaline and North Stars fighting for finals while the Brave and the Mustangs are fighting for top spot.

As a Canberra fan that followed the Knights for years before they folded, and the Brave were born this year, if you had told me 6 months ago that we'd be going to the finals you could have knocked me over with a feather. Been a great year, and we're getting great corporate support too - will finish the year in the black, even after the Adelaide game debacle which cost us around $12k (and points).

Come finals time we'll actually be able to show you Melbournians how to make some noise at a hockey game.

As a Canberra fan that followed the Knights for years before they folded, and the Brave were born this year, if you had told me 6 months ago that we'd be going to the finals you could have knocked me over with a feather. Been a great year, and we're getting great corporate support too - will finish the year in the black, even after the Adelaide game debacle which cost us around $12k (and points).

Come finals time we'll actually be able to show you Melbournians how to make some noise at a hockey game.
Could not be happier for the Canberra folk who have put up with so much garbage for years from greedy management looking to make profits ( and plenty of profit was made) whilst giving little back to players who earned the coin. CBR has offered a blue print. It would be great if the Sydney Bears examined it and made some changes. They have an opportunity to cement a spot in the Sydney market but need a much better organization BEHIND the team. Their management is just tired and singing very old songs about how hard it is........... woe is me!!

Could not be happier for the Canberra folk who have put up with so much garbage for years from greedy management looking to make profits ( and plenty of profit was made) whilst giving little back to players who earned the coin. CBR has offered a blue print. It would be great if the Sydney Bears examined it and made some changes. They have an opportunity to cement a spot in the Sydney market but need a much better organization BEHIND the team. Their management is just tired and singing very old songs about how hard it is........... woe is me!!
As much fun as it is to sink the boots into John and previous management (and it's pretty easy, given how things were ran, particularly in the last couple of years, where even player welfare was compromised), it's also important to remember that he did support the team for 30 years, and has at least backed the team by making ice time available (same constraints apply for ice time as everywhere).

With regard to the Bears, their biggest issue currently is trying to hold onto a home rink - hopefully Hillsong don't boot them out and demolish the SIA, because it's a really good arena to watch hockey at.

As much fun as it is to sink the boots into John and previous management (and it's pretty easy, given how things were ran, particularly in the last couple of years, where even player welfare was compromised), it's also important to remember that he did support the team for 30 years, and has at least backed the team by making ice time available (same constraints apply for ice time as everywhere).

With regard to the Bears, their biggest issue currently is trying to hold onto a home rink - hopefully Hillsong don't boot them out and demolish the SIA, because it's a really good arena to watch hockey at.
John is not a fool and by offering ice time to CBR he was going to maintain an income stream from AIHL action with no hassles. The bar, food sales plus gate revenue means a nice earner with no outlay or risk.

John is not a fool and by offering ice time to CBR he was going to maintain an income stream from AIHL action with no hassles. The bar, food sales plus gate revenue means a nice earner with no outlay or risk.
No doubt. But given he holds a monopoly on ice in Canberra, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, given legal constraints, pissing him off isn't helping anybody. Best just to let the success of the team speak for itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back