Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a nice story and a rare chance for a magic circle to get some warm and fuzzy press. Forgive my cynicism, but as someone who has worked MC in London, I'd be surprised if it is as simple as it is portrayed in the article.
It sounds like a joke organisation just on name alone :).

Hey guys, transferred into a double degree this year Arts/Law. Looking to ultimately do legal work up north with Indigenous people. Will be aiming to do a bit of work with organisations like VALS while studying. What's the protocol for things like this? Do I just ring them up and explain what I'm doing and ask if I could do a bit of work experience with them or?

Bad timing all round. No new government jobs going, and the department that handles indigenous legal aid was basically decimated by Tony Abbott straight after the election (in spite of his pledge to spend his first two weeks as PM living in remote communities).

Normally I'd say get an entry level job in the APS and then have the government reimburse you for your fees as well as getting work experience. But it just isn't an option anymore.

So just returned from doing the Chinese business law cert in Hong Kong. What an experience that was! Any thoughts of practicing in China just went out the window.
On the plus side, won an award from Wrays Lawyers for my essay on Intellectual Property: Patents and Sui Generis Regimes. $500 and noted on my academic transcript, can't complain!

3 more years to go for me, stupid double degrees! Looking forward to getting stuck into it now.

Applied for 2 internships (paralegal) recently to coincide with studying F/T. Could get awkward if I get both, but not counting chickens.

Considering taking on both (if offered) and remain studying FT. Would have to quit PT work though. Decisions decisions.

Well China's concept of a "Legal System" is very different to ours. Apart from being a Civil Law system, you are expected to use your social networking to influence your legal cases. Corruption is a very blurred concept there.

Sitting the bar exam in China, only 7% of people pass each year, and the exam is only in Mandarin. We met students doing their masters in Law that had failed the test 3-4 times and these were students that had scholarships to top universities in the United States and Europe.

You think our job market is bad? Graduate positions in China and Hong Kong attract up to 10,000 applications for a single position.

Well China's concept of a "Legal System" is very different to ours. Apart from being a Civil Law system, you are expected to use your social networking to influence your legal cases. Corruption is a very blurred concept there.

Sitting the bar exam in China, only 7% of people pass each year, and the exam is only in Mandarin. We met students doing their masters in Law that had failed the test 3-4 times and these were students that had scholarships to top universities in the United States and Europe.

You think our job market is bad? Graduate positions in China and Hong Kong attract up to 10,000 applications for a single position.

I remember my mates that did law had this legendary Chinese student in their first year tutes. He kept insisting that the law was an iron rod.

Considering taking on both (if offered) and remain studying FT. Would have to quit PT work though. Decisions decisions.
Got one of them but haven't received any notice from the other (as promised).

Happy to keep with the one, be nice to get a reply from my e'mail though. Might give them a call soon.

Has anyone in recent years completed Leo Cussen through the online option?

I'm about to start and am wondering what the work load is really like and whether it is difficult etc etc.

They say you're supposed to do 30 hours a week.
Yeah, I did Leo's online while working F/T. The workload can be a little much if you have other work responsibilities - the main thing is not to fall behind. It's genuinely hard to catch up and moreoever the other student you work with on the Current Matter won't be impressed if you can't keep up (I dealt with one person who filed everything at the last minute, it was a pain). The online exercise can be a bitch, but are generally not too difficult, you just need to slug your way through them.

Also (and it sucks) but they don't find you a placement if you do it online. Get in early to find one otherwise you could find yourself waiting until February the next year (for Sem 2) to graduate (like me).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Finding it so hard to get any work in Intellectual Property Law here in Perth.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Finding it so hard to get any work in Intellectual Property Law here in Perth.
Plenty of IP work in Melbourne at the moment. ;) But it is extra hard when you work in a niche area.

Sadly though, not much going anywhere as far as I can tell. A number of friends are currently looking for work on the east coast and coming up with diddly squat. Have suggested they go door knocking, but for some that's too 20th century :rolleyes:

Oh i'm pretty much going to be walking into all the offices in Perth handing out my CV like Candy.

I'm even willing to move interstate to work (or international) and will be starting Chinese lessons soon to try and get a leg up.

My uni grades a pretty average except for Mining, Contract and Intellectual Property so that's killing me on the job front i believe.

Hard to know when you get no feedback whatsoever.

Yeah, law firms will rarely even respond these days unless they plan on interviewing you.

Grades are becoming less relevant though, past the first job. Once you get that first job, make sure you can get at least one killer reference, then hammer it on your next application.

And you have to have something to stand out now. The usual, ECs, volunteering just doesn't cut it. Increasingly law firms are looking for something unusual- either a skill (like a second language or marketing) or another venture (running businesses, websites etc.)

It's hard.

How do you know you want to do IP? How many years out are you?

I graduate this time next year.

I find the law around IP very interesting. I've enjoyed all the IP units I've done, went to China and did introduction to Chinese IP, received an award for essay writing in IP from Wrays here in Perth etc

I'm actually a mature age student (my background is in Drill and Blast in the mining industry).

I'd be stoked to get a job doing ANYTHING, but IP, Contracts and mining are my favorite areas of law.

I graduate this time next year.

I find the law around IP very interesting. I've enjoyed all the IP units I've done, went to China and did introduction to Chinese IP, received an award for essay writing in IP from Wrays here in Perth etc

I'm actually a mature age student (my background is in Drill and Blast in the mining industry).

I'd be stoked to get a job doing ANYTHING, but IP, Contracts and mining are my favorite areas of law.

You are very, very strange :p

IP is a hard one to get into, especially in Australia. I've known grads who've had to go over to the US or Japan to get a foothold, but it is possible. Doing an IP subject overseas and winning the award in IP are a good start- don't be afraid to market yourself as someone who not only has an interest in IP, but some kind of background in it (even if it isn't strictly true).

I'd even think about getting on the ACMA register or similar, even getting work experience within the film industry in relation to copyright matter (even if you prefer patents, or designs or trademarks etc.) IP is definitely an interesting area- I loved it when I studied it at uni. Best of luck.

I recall hearing when I was back at uni (a loooong time ago) that a science qualification might help getting into IP. It does seem to be a pretty narrow market though, which is bad with the amount of competition around these days.

Criminal law's the way to go. No shortage of work, not nearly as attractive to a lot of graduates and the standard isn't that high - particularly at some places which come to mind. ("What do you mean I need to file a Form 32? What's a Form 32?)

I recall hearing when I was back at uni (a loooong time ago) that a science qualification might help getting into IP. It does seem to be a pretty narrow market though, which is bad with the amount of competition around these days.

Criminal law's the way to go. No shortage of work, not nearly as attractive to a lot of graduates and the standard isn't that high - particularly at some places which come to mind. ("What do you mean I need to file a Form 32? What's a Form 32?)

Yeah they still recommend that or the few i've been invited to meet and greet with expect you to at least be doing an honors paper in IP.

Criminal hey? Any other areas? All we hear at uni is that everything is doom and gloom but we get no information on what kind of areas are looking for people.

Depending on the state you live in, the funding for the legal aid (via private firms) has taken a massive whack lately so crim has lost some shine. Vic Lib government are keen to have more instances where a defendant is not provided with a public defender.

Edit: I see you're from Vic anyway, sorry thought NSW with Sydney as your team.

Yeah, the OPP and legal aid have definitely taken a hit in recent years in Victoria, but they have a fair turnover of staff (many go to the Bar or to private practice) so there's still opportunities, especially at entry level - they tend to promote internally to replace people and then bring in new people at the bottom.

I'd certainly take them over private practice, particularly as an entry point; there's some really bad ones out there, and a bad entry to the profession can be really damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back