Autopsy Positives/Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
- Fyfe
- I haven't given Suban much credit this year; but maybe I should. Whilst he isn't the most skillful player he brings great stablility every game; he's one of those players who you'll get the most out of when his team mates are giving their most.
- I don't understand the constant disappointment with Mayne; his stats don't reveal all the other work he does and he saved the game with that last second fistout.
- Ballantyne was a little off coming from suspension, but another 3 goals to his tally and we probably wouldn't of won in without him.
- I've actually been a big critic of Zaarke as well, but to me he did a fair bit around the ground including some solid positioning and defensive marks (where McPharlin and Johnson were no where to be seen).
- Spurr and Duffield are still the engine room of our backline, once the three talls return to form we'll see even more from these two.

Negatives
- Hill, Ibbotson and McPharlin are all underdone and our defence needs some fine-tuning.
- Mundy' a bit off the mark as is D. Pearce, De Boer and Neale could probably lift a bit as well. I fear D. Pearce needs to do something drastic to remain in the starting 22... I hope our WAFL guys perform exceptionally well and put presses on spots.
- We still can't find that high-intensity pressure and give the opposition confidence when we allow them too much space; our midfield is looking a little lost and it needs to tighten up.
- Umpiring
- I've always defended Cometti and felt he was one of the most neutral commentators, I also lived on the same street as him growing up; but he is a sickly-flog along with that catpiss-fartknuckle Snoz Zempilas. All we needed was the Spruce-Bruce to be there and I think the commentary team could have willed on one more match-winning goal for Carlton. Pathetic.

One positive I forgot to mention. After the game finished and most of the players had already grouped outside the race waiting to head in Fyfe ran the width of the field to the opposite wing with a hat for someone and then on the way back he ran the boundary high fyfefing (pun intended) the crowd and clapping us and punching the air. He was still running on adrenaline when he went down the race still clapping back at the crowd and smiling.
He is such a champion. Its frightening how good he might end up.

I thought Hill and Neale really fought it out in the second half and I fail to understand how anyone could think Clarke and Mayne weren't crucial to getting the win. Clarkes running and marking were top shelf and Mayne presented up the ground all night and put enormous pressure on in the forward half.

Yeah I don't understand the criticism of Clarke either. I was very close to sneaking him in for 1 vote in the votes thread.

He has the occasional lapse where someone gets through an attempted tackle or something like that, but I imagine it isn't that easy for a tall, lanky dude to stop a shorter ball of muscle in their tracks with an outstretched arm.

I think some people fixate too much on the predetermined weaknesses they've decided some players have and don't acknowledge all the good work they do during a game.

Pluses

The tribute, and the reaction of you lot at the game - very classy, well done all.

Fyfe set the standard for what we want from our top players every week when the chips are down
Hilly had a solid last quarter and was a key to our turnaround in momentum
Ibbo and Sutty had really good games - Ibbo's rebound work in the last quarter was a key to our inside 50s
Sandi and Ballas back in make our side so much better - though Sandi needs to hold his marks
Crowls professionalism - subject to sustained, deliberate, dirty tactics and provocation, yet held his cool and didn't react in any way that would get him reported. Turning the other cheek is the hardest thing to do...
Malthouse being so peeved at losing - suck it up, you cranky, rude, over-paid traitor.

Negatives

Injuries (yet again)
Crud comments from Prince Fluffy Collar Darce and Schnoz the Great Nob-Head all through the commentary - they just make one (shallow) point and then repeat it all through the game, like rabid dogs with a bone - the hatred for Elvis was particularly distasteful, he actually had a decent game
Umpires
Umpires
Umpires
Other teams are working out our fundamental tactics and coming up with new methods of reacting. First time in a while I have seen Roscoe out-coached.
Umpires
Umpires
Umpires
We don't get to play the Carltank flogs again until next year. Can't wait for the dirty diving scum to play us again. I reckon Crowls in particular might just have a decent game
Umpires
Umpires
Umpires
MJ bombing it long into the forward 50 - where has his usual precise delivery and flat passing game gone??

Ok we have just stolen a win when everything was against us .
For those having a go at any of the back 6 have a brick bat . We play team defence and we were out run .
Judd is elite and he is nowhere near retirement after last nights game .
Loosing Pavlich in the second quarter showed RTB and the selection panel that a permanent 2nd tall other than Mayne and the resting ruckman is needed .
Kepler or Silvagni is needed desperately .

My biggest disappointment was Sandi's ruckwork .
Now before you all go crazy ,what was the best ruckwork he as done all year and what did he not do for the whole game .
The 2 handed ruck tape to our midfielders .
What has he done in previous years . Got the first touch that went straight to ground at his feat .What did he do all night except for a couple of big thumps to no one .
He and the coaches let that one go through to the keeper .

I want to say that Mzungu has just shown every Fremantle fan ,past & present footballers and coach why I rate him head and shoulders above almost any player we have ever had .
He pulled a hamstring in the middle of the 2nd quarter ,Doctors and physio worked on him for 20 minutes and he came back on with it heavily strapped and gave it a go but he was gone and he sat on the bench for a quarter and a half .
With 15 minutes to play in the last quarter and players were shot with nothing left in the tank due to no rotations on he comes and puts his chance of playing finals as well as the rest of the season at risk for the team That's gusty . Take a bow son .

Ok we have just stolen a win when everything was against us .
For those having a go at any of the back 6 have a brick bat . We play team defence and we were out run .
Judd is elite and he is nowhere near retirement after last nights game .
Loosing Pavlich in the second quarter showed RTB and the selection panel that a permanent 2nd tall other than Mayne and the resting ruckman is needed .
Kepler or Silvagni is needed desperately .

My biggest disappointment was Sandi's ruckwork .
Now before you all go crazy ,what was the best ruckwork he as done all year and what did he not do for the whole game .
The 2 handed ruck tape to our midfielders .
What has he done in previous years . Got the first touch that went straight to ground at his feat .What did he do all night except for a couple of big thumps to no one .
He and the coaches let that one go through to the keeper .

I want to say that Mzungu has just shown every Fremantle fan ,past & present footballers and coach why I rate him head and shoulders above almost any player we have ever had .
He pulled a hamstring in the middle of the 2nd quarter ,Doctors and physio worked on him for 20 minutes and he came back on with it heavily strapped and gave it a go but he was gone and he sat on the bench for a quarter and a half .
With 15 minutes to play in the last quarter and players were shot with nothing left in the tank due to no rotations on he comes and puts his chance of playing finals as well as the rest of the season at risk for the team That's gusty . Take a bow son .

The like was for the Mzungu comment, not for the Sandilands, which was off target in my opinion.

I also thought that McPharlin was better this week. The replay (only first half so far) shows him doing some pretty clever and courageous stuff, that I didn't notice so much watching the game.

Mundy is playing out of form at the moment. Still nailed that second quarter goal when no one else on the field could, but he was a little fumbly and short with his disposals. Hope he is able to sort that out next week.

+ Fyfe!
+ Barlow - he really snuck a great performance in
+ 4 points
+ The team realised at the end that they needed to adjust to win the game without Pav and they did it

+&- McPharlin. His run is no where near what it usually is, but he did a few great things, including a brilliant diving mark. I don't think he's cooked yet, but he may need to adjust his game if he can't outrun his opponent.

- Umpiring. Wtf was that & how do the AFL let them get away with it
- Pav & Gu injuries :(
- How long it took the players to adjust to not having Pav, & how reliant we are on him.

I can't watch the Peel games but I'd give his spot to almost anyone at the moment. He's had no offence or defensive effect whatsoever. I really watched him when he was on screen last night and geez he was ineffective 95% of the time I saw him.
Are you talking about mayne or sylvia? Please say sylvia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mayne is fine if he's there playing the defensive forward role, which is basically a dead zone anyway, and the most important attribute is tackling, which is Mayne's specialty. But when he's there as a key forward his return just isn't enough. You can only play so many defensive forwards. Some of your forwards actually have to be there as targets to kick the ball to. The other issue is that Mayne doesn't draw a tall defender, which means most teams have a spare tall defender to sit in the hole in front of Pavlich.

TLDR I think Mayne is a fine half forward flank but we need a real centre half forward as well.

Unfortunately I'm talking Mayne.

Really,wow
Have a look at the last quarter again and you will see what Mayne means to the team.Strong on the lead mark with quick handball out to give us a shot on goal and then the spoil towards the boundary in front of Carltons goal in the last seconds plus numerous pressure acts.
Mayne is travelling just fine
Is he not getting you enough points in supercoach:rolleyes:

Not bad for 15 games, if he didn't get injured he would easily be our best player. Sylvia on another hand, been a dud to be brutally honest for his career. I've taken an interest in Freo ever since the Wiz went over to you guys, but signing Colin has me still to this day baffled...

That's a bit harsh. In 2009 he averaged 22 disposals a game and kicked 17 goals for you. I remember that one game against Hawthorn that year where he had nearly 40 possessions and kicked 3 goals.

He hasn't been the same player since that hip injury in 2010 though.

At least we didn't give up a pick for him.

The Eagles handed over a first round pick for Sharrod Wellingham, plus gave him $1.5m for 3 years.

That's a bit harsh. In 2009 he averaged 22 disposals a game and kicked 17 goals for you. I remember that one game against Hawthorn that year where he had nearly 40 possessions and kicked 3 goals.

He hasn't been the same player since that hip injury in 2010 though.

At least we didn't give up a pick for him.

The Eagles handed over a first round pick for Sharrod Wellingham, plus gave him $1.5m for 3 years.
Averaging 22 disposals is NBD... We basically swapped him for Bernie Vince, and he by far has been x10 as valuable as Col ever was. Yeah fair enough he got nearly 40 disposals in a match, but his career has been crap from the start. Surely you guys aren't paying him a somewhat big contract?

I can't watch the Peel games but I'd give his spot to almost anyone at the moment. He's had no offence or defensive effect whatsoever. I really watched him when he was on screen last night and geez he was ineffective 95% of the time I saw him.

Did you miss his key goalsquare punch in the backline in the last 15 seconds of the game??

He also had a goal assist and set up two other goals with key tackles and handballs.

Watch the replay. He actually had significant impact both forward and back at key moments in a low-scoring, tensely fought game where we were very under-manned. Who else would have a similar impact given our current injuries??

The like was for the Mzungu comment, not for the Sandilands, which was off target in my opinion.

I also thought that McPharlin was better this week. The replay (only first half so far) shows him doing some pretty clever and courageous stuff, that I didn't notice so much watching the game.

Mundy is playing out of form at the moment. Still nailed that second quarter goal when no one else on the field could, but he was a little fumbly and short with his disposals. Hope he is able to sort that out next week.

Too many on here seem to have bought into the relentless Elvis bashing that Prince Fluffy Shirt Model boyo Darce "I never played in a grand final but I know everything" dished out non-stop on the telly coverage.

Up until the last 10 minutes or so, when he ran out of puff, Elvis was almost back to his best. He kept Waite quiet, ran off his man to cover when we turned the ball over, and was bloody courageous (and importantly fast and agile). He will never be Lukey Mac of 2008-2010 again. But he is bloody good, and streets ahead of any replacement we have on our list.

Sometimes you miss seeing things when watching live, although I still think you miss much more watching on tv. I expected Luke to be down a bit, and watching live thought he looked cooked but having had a look at the replay he really was ok, and will be better again for the run. Ross said as much in his presser. Why people would suggest dropping players like Chopper or Macca after the coach has already expressed his satisfaction with their games puzzles me.

Too many on here seem to have bought into the relentless Elvis bashing that Prince Fluffy Shirt Model boyo Darce "I never played in a grand final but I know everything" dished out non-stop on the telly coverage.

Up until the last 10 minutes or so, when he ran out of puff, Elvis was almost back to his best. He kept Waite quiet, ran off his man to cover when we turned the ball over, and was bloody courageous (and importantly fast and agile). He will never be Lukey Mac of 2008-2010 again. But he is bloody good, and streets ahead of any replacement we have on our list.
except 2012 when he was all Australian.
I thought he was pretty decent on Thursday. Working his way back to full fitness. I'd almost prefer the way its set up this year when he's on an upward trajectory than previous years where he's limped into the finals.

Really,wow
Have a look at the last quarter again and you will see what Mayne means to the team.Strong on the lead mark with quick handball out to give us a shot on goal and then the spoil towards the boundary in front of Carltons goal in the last seconds plus numerous pressure acts.
Mayne is travelling just fine
Is he not getting you enough points in supercoach:rolleyes:
I guess I'm looking at him with a negetive slant so that's what I'm seeing, he gets picked every week, so what would I know!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back