Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course it's based on potential. He's in his second year. If you ignored potential you'd never get a fair trade for a young player.

Why do we have to pay so much for Boyd or Mitchell, but Menz goes cheaper?

That's not cheap. Duncan is a 23 year old, premiership winner, 6 ft 2 midfielder that fills a massive hole in our side.

He's got no injury concerns and could very well play for the next ten years.

If Geelong made that trade, we would take it so quickly your head would spin for months.

That's not cheap. Duncan is a 23 year old, premiership winner, 6 ft 2 midfielder that fills a massive hole in our side.

He's got no injury concerns and could very well play for the next ten years.

If Geelong made that trade, we would take it so quickly your head would spin for months.
At the same time he could be a mid who looks good in a good side ;) I think he's great but he sure has it easier than some of our mids with Selwood, Kelly, Johnson etc taking the attention.

In Duncan's second year you wouldn't say he would be a fair trade for the player he is now. And that's simply because he got better with age.

Duncan for Menz might look nice now. But in 3 years will be having the same convo we have about Sauce every week.

At the same time he could be a mid who looks good in a good side ;) I think he's great but he sure has it easier than some of our mids with Selwood, Kelly, Johnson etc taking the attention.

In Duncan's second year you wouldn't say he would be a fair trade for the player he is now. And that's simply because he got better with age.

Duncan for Menz might look nice now. But in 3 years will be having the same convo we have about Sauce every week.

Sure. But if that's how you look at it, we'd never trade anyone in because most midfields are better than ours haha.

Duncans second year was a premiership.

Put it this way, if I had the choice between Duncan or Pick 6 at the end of the year, it wouldn't even need thinking about.

This is only based on Menz actually wanting to leave. I'm not actively trying to trade him out.

Sure. But if that's how you look at it, we'd never trade anyone in because most midfields are better than ours haha.

Duncans second year was a premiership.

Put it this way, if I had the choice between Duncan or Pick 6 at the end of the year, it wouldn't even need thinking about.

This is only based on Menz actually wanting to leave. I'm not actively trying to trade him out.
Don't worry I don't think you are :p

I guess we just disagree on trading players based on potential.

If Menz was 23 and still had all this potential he hadn't reached I wouldn't be advocating a fair trade on potential.

I just think with a player who hasn't done anything yet to suggest he won't reach his potential, that it's only fair you take it into consideration.

I mean look at Dom Tyson. He did pretty much nothing at GWS. Yet Melbourne still had to trade pick 2 & 20 to get him and pick 9. I'd say that was based on potential. At the time Melbourne were accused of paying overs. But now they look like winners.

You're kidding right? Duncan for Menzel would be a win for us. Quick midfielder that's entering his prime, doesn't have a dodgy knee and has come through a club with great development.

I don't want to lose Menzel but if he wanted to go and that's what was on offer, that would be a massive win for us.
If he's that good, then give them Docherty. :p

Menzel is a jet. No thanks.

Flags mean little with Judd taking five years to get one.

Pick six or seven will get us a player. No need to spend that selection on a Mitch Duncan. Build, not buy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. But its interesting though because we are in Tom Boyds ear accordingly to our boards credible source and a chance but what are the odds of that happening, or indeed who would think that could happen. The last time that would have happened would have been Nathan Buckley from Brisbane to Collingwood. Who would have picked Franklin to Swans? Tippett to Swans?

I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to. I just don't know what it would take to get it done. Cats are strong on culture and I could see a move getting rid of one of their crop to bring someone else in as an unsettling move unless this guy was really on the out with the playing group and didn't fit in to said culture.

Call it culture , call it dna. Geelong have a very even , payment earned pay structure. Its tier based and rewards length of service and the quality of that service. Most players will be happy to be getting less if they feel they are taken care of , and they know all are being treated fair. If one player feels like they are missing out while all others of a similar "story" are getting more , its bound to encourage roaming eyes.

Bringing in players is slightly different and the player group knows and accepts that.Players coming in get a higher rate.(for the first contract) Facts of live that a moving player gets more for the disruption.

And I guess , its a fact of AFL live that every year there are player moves, players come , players go. I think AFL players know that. But I agree , its a very risky thing when you start messing with players that have earned a spot doing the right thing. My guess is it has the potential to be OK or be very destructive. 10 years ago Geelong did it their R1 and Moloney to get Ottens. so they can do it if its a must to get the right player.

My spin would be if the players going out are not particularly key to the vibe of the group and the player coming in is obviously key then it would all be fine. If on the other hand player or players that are loved , maybe not even in the best 10 or 15 players , then get push againts their will ...recipe for a disgruntled group.

On Boyd and Carlton , my guess is Carlton would be happy be far more ruthless. You have a history of getting "names" in , add you lack of success for a fair while and I can see it happening. Thats the Blues DNA.

Perhaps IF GWS want 3 R1's or something , moving on Mez as part a deal is do able.

If he's that good, then give them Docherty. :p

Menzel is a jet. No thanks.

Flags mean little with Judd taking five years to get one.

Pick six or seven will get us a player. No need to spend that selection on a Mitch Duncan. Build, not buy.
He's 23, not 28. It's not like we're picking up an older player. He'd slot straight into our side and improve it from next season with many years still left in his career.

It's a moot point anyway, it's not happening.

I'm going to quietly leave this thread now and miss the wrath of Aph ;)

I for one am confused that you appear to not rate menzel more. He will be an absolute gun that will win games Off own boot, duncun is good but he is a poor mans a very poor mans menzel, Of
He's 23, not 28. It's not like we're picking up an older player. He'd slot straight into our side and improve it from next season with many years still left in his career.

What's the disagreement here? We'd be silly to take a straight swap of Duncan for Menz. Duncan + 1st rounder would be more like it if Geelong are trying to secure "their best rated player from that draft". We'd need overs to let Menz go with some willingness. Trades are all done on potential, that's why clubs are always trying to get into the 1st round for an unproven yet potentially star pick.
Perhaps Geelong sewed the seed way back on draft night for their attempts to poach Menz after his 1st contract but their words should haunt them at trade time, if there's such a trade to take place.

What's the disagreement here? We'd be silly to take a straight swap of Duncan for Menz. Duncan + 1st rounder would be more like it if Geelong are trying to secure "their best rated player from that draft". We'd need overs to let Menz go with some willingness. Trades are all done on potential, that's why clubs are always trying to get into the 1st round for an unproven yet potentially star pick.
Perhaps Geelong sewed the seed way back on draft night for their attempts to poach Menz after his 1st contract but their words should haunt them at trade time, if there's such a trade to take place.

What's fair or what Carlton want is a bit irrelevant here. There's just no way geelong will try to satisfy Carlton's demands if Menzel's happy to stay. If he's happy to stay then he's not going anywhere.

The only situation where a trade even needs to be considered is in the (very unlikely) scenario where Menzel decides he wants to go to Geelong and only Geelong. In that case it's not a question of what's fair but a question of what will Carlton accept for him rather than getting nothing and telling him to try his luck in the PSD. Given our history I doubt we're going to be complete dicks about it and say here's our 2nd pick and Josh Walker, take it or leave it. I imagine our first pick would definitely be on the table but I doubt we'd be willing to offer up more than steak knives on top of it. We're definitely not going to throw up a young first 22 player on top of that. The question is whether Carlton would eventually accept that or tell him to go into the draft.

Of course this is a very unlikely situation. Judging by how often these sorts of moves are rumoured and how rarely they actually happen I'd say that's less than a 5% chance of happening.

Mark "Stevo" Stevens needs to stfu! From his twitter...

"Murmurs, from multiple angles, getting louder re Judd pulling pin at end of season. Can only hope it's not true, but all pointing that way".

I agree with what you're saying. If Menz were to decide that he wants out, gaining a highly talented young mid is far from the worst thing we could do..
It is funny reading these threads though. We're expected to secure blokes from GWS on the cheap due to their contracts running down but expect others to pay premium on our guys in a similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back