AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to wait until next seasons crowd figures to make a comment. The shine hasn't worn off yet and the crows are playing better footy, trying to build for to get into the finals. Crowds will be high.

It will be interesting to see over the summer break how many people lose their interest in going.

Only problem that will definitely remain are showdowns and finals, that will forever sell out in a flash due to the oval now being where it is.

That's a great idea also.

It's be interesting to see what would be done to the Adelaide Oval if Adelaide was to host the Commonwealth Games in the next 10-15 years.

Nothing - it was interesting listening to Leon Bignall this morning on the radio that Adelaide already has world class stadiums.

lets not forget that other iconic grounds in australia all had hills or terraces too. all are now gone. hell the gabba even had a dog track!

does that make adelaide oval unique, or just 30 years behind the times?

The gabba is an outdated concrete piece of s**t with no atmosphere.
SCG has turned into a mini ANZ and lost its charm.

If you've been to boutique stadia in the way of metricon and skoda, you'll see that we are very much with the times. But with 10 times more class, and with heritage and history included.

The same thing occurred earlier in the season, it doesn't seem they are abreast of the ticketing situation on a daily basis, which seems odd for the membership/ticketing department.

Maybe it's all a ticketek thing, and the club has pretty much nothing to do with it? Just guessing here.

Maybe it's all a ticketek thing, and the club has pretty much nothing to do with it? Just guessing here.

Thats right forgot about that, thats why the club said we couldn't do the ticket share thingo.

It was a shame our old admin only had four years to sort it out before the move to AO.

With the team actually playing well, and a sell out occurring, going to be a very interesting attendance this saturday. Last two home games were a showdown and a friday night match v Hawthorn, so both of those matches were going to have massive crowds.

Saturday afternoon v Eagles will be a bit tougher.
43k touted as 48k.

Sorry, but I don't think we've been given true crowd figures this year.

43k touted as 48k.

Sorry, but I don't think we've been given true crowd figures this year.

The GC game was the one that really had me stumped.

I nearly fell out of my chair when 49,000 appeared on the big screen.

I think they could probably squeeze another 2000 on top of official capacity.

I'm pretty sure the 53,583 capacity doesn't take into account the standing room areas in South, East and West.

True, but if they wanted too they could sell a separate general admission ticket for those stands.

Make it $10 or something.

That would depend on whether or not adding those extra people would breach any safety conditions, they don't just let you cram people into a ground anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does, because the people standing in those spots have to buy a seat first, they don't sell standing room tickets there.
I dont think that is correct. I am a Vic member which includes 3 Adelaide based games. I called the club to confirm I can get into this weeks sold out game. I have been assured that the will not stop members like me from entering no matter how full the ground is. I was also informed I can stand on the hill or in the eastern or southern stands.

It does, because the people standing in those spots have to buy a seat first, they don't sell standing room tickets there.
West only being partialy reserved they have oversold the area, stories going around that people are crossing over to fill vacant seats and standing areas.

I dont think that is correct. I am a Vic member which includes 3 Adelaide based games. I called the club to confirm I can get into this weeks sold out game. I have been assured that the will not stop members like me from entering no matter how full the ground is. I was also informed I can stand on the hill or in the eastern or southern stands.

Good to hear members are being looked after like this. Kudos to the club.

I wonder if we will get our biggest crowd of the year tomorrow?

This is the first game that we have sold guest passes in the Western stand for the last couple of games, as we haven't sold any for the Showdown and Hawks games and managed to get just over 50,000 for those two games. The weather is going to be good too, cool but mostly sunny, so maybe 51,000?

I wonder if we will get our biggest crowd of the year tomorrow?

This is the first game that we have sold guest passes in the Western stand for the last couple of games, as we haven't sold any for the Showdown and Hawks games and managed to get just over 50,000 for those two games. The weather is going to be good too, cool but mostly sunny, so maybe 51,000?
Saturday afternoon isn't the best for SA.
Local footy (ammos/country) always hit our crowd by 5k or so.
If it's over 48k I'm calling bullshit no matter what.

I know most on here have been to the Oval at least once, but I was down there yesterday and took a tonne of photos in high resolution.

Anyone that wants to save the photos, go right ahead. All the photos are in the folder, but here's a collection for the threads.

http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/hdecure/library/August 1 Adelaide Oval?sort=3&page=1

P1000753_zps8ba2f422.jpg

P1000735_zpscc41c36d.jpg

P1000734_zps494e8dd6.jpg

P1000731_zps19b3b265.jpg

Grass is looking horrible at the moment. I'm a big endorser of the hill, but something needs to be done here. Either get a sturdier grass, or possibly go with a natural looking artificial grass.
P1000715_zpsb02c1e98.jpg

P1000721_zps0a3b2f70.jpg

P1000714_zps94147bd6.jpg

P1000690_zps0a2cb087.jpg
P1000751_zps16a3bfef.jpg

P1000718_zpsd838158a.jpg

P1000701_zps6f3ab0c3.jpg

P1000694_zps865df5a2.jpg

P1000771_zps49f6099b.jpg

P1000772_zpsa48d064d.jpg

P1000756_zps380ee628.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad