Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
strange, i had been thinking lately that it isn't so much the songwriting (not that it's great mind you.. even on magnetic they still sound like they are stuck trying to write the 7 minute epics of yesteryear but now with their bottomless grab-bag of predictable rock riffs) that is 'holding metallica back', it's hetfield's vocals and their terrible lyrics. i think they would be much more listenable if james dropped the crooning bullshit and just barked it out ala RTL. it's like both his balls have been lopped off post black album, seriously an embarrassing listen.

Yeah 100% agree - his vocals are terrible and ruin even the older classics when they do them live. The recent live dvds they have put out are ruined by him unfortunatley. That plus his declared hatred of guitar reverb which I simply cannot fathom.

Been listening quite a lot to the new Overkill album and its a corker. 2nd half is the strongest. Even the 2 bonus tracks are enjoyable in their own special way. Great guitar sound, great drumming...a big step up from The Electric Age which I rarely listen to...

Getting impatient for my new Goatwhore to arrive....also hanging out for my new Novembers Doom album "Bled White" to arrive. I read a review where it was kinda described as a cross between "Turn Lose the Swans" and "Paradise Belongs to You". Holy s**t.....

Last edited:

Slightly connected but sightly off-topic here but anyone a fan of the Exodus song Impaler? 2nd part of this song pretty much became Trapped Under Ice from Ride the Lightining. Sounds awesome of the "Another lesson in Violence" disc.

I knew Gary Holt wrote the "Die by my hand" part from Creeping Death for a very early Exodus song which was never recorded (and Metallia changed the lyrics and used it themselves) but I never really knew about Impaler until maybe earlier this year.

You talking about the riff or the lyrics? Cause Kirk wrote the riff when he was 15 or so:

New Opeth record leaked, Pale Communion. Had a few listens, another Opeth take on 70's prog. Similar to Heritage, massive Camel influence.

Right now there's maybe 3 songs I see myself going back to listen to in the future. Will give it a good play until it's release in a couple weeks, will look at buying it then if it's grown on me

You talking about the riff or the lyrics? Cause Kirk wrote the riff when he was 15 or so:

I meant the lyrics. I read an interview with him (Holt) where he said it kinda annoyed him once at a Metallica concert that thousands of Metallica fans were singing his lyrics during the song and they never knew it...

Last edited:
New Opeth record leaked, Pale Communion. Had a few listens, another Opeth take on 70's prog. Similar to Heritage, massive Camel influence.

Right now there's maybe 3 songs I see myself going back to listen to in the future. Will give it a good play until it's release in a couple weeks, will look at buying it then if it's grown on me

Interesting..... Orchid, Blackwater Park & Still Life are all the Opeth I ever needed.

If I was stuck on a plane for 8 hours though, Mikael Akerfeldt would be one guy I reckon would be great to be stuck next to. So would Sofia Vergara come to think of it.

Never thought I would be saying this ...but...I am really enjoying the latest Mastodon album! There, I said it. Do not like anything this band has done previously and cant understand the fanfare they seem to attract (media darlings much..??) but the new one is cool. The Motherload is freakin catchy...chorus of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never thought I would be saying this ...but...I am really enjoying the latest Mastodon album! There, I said it. Do not like anything this band has done previously and cant understand the fanfare they seem to attract (media darlings much..??) but the new one is cool. The Motherload is freakin catchy...chorus of the year.

It's a ******* great album, more prog rock than most of the other stuff I've heard from them which seems more prog metal but it's great. And it's got the best artwork I've seen in a long time, tempted to buy the vinyl just for that.

Astra - The Weirding, sped up

Opeth really should change their name, they are a completely different band to the one that blew me away with the mixture of prog and death metal. Their new album isn't too bad, better than Heritage but I don't consider that album an Opeth album.

Wolves in the Throne room have also gone and created some average synth heavy album that is a departure from their previous work. They should change their name too.

Mastodon may have become a lot more commercially friendly this decade, but at least they are still decisively Mastodon. Their albums this decade are more 'turn on a song here and there' kind of albums though. Can sit down and listen to Leviathan in its entirety, that's the best way to listen to such an album but can't do the same with The Hunter or Once More around the Sun, got a few tracks I gravitate to.

Wacken 2015 already sold out in 12 hours. Crazy stuff. Although from what i've read about the festival just gone, they were charging people a few Euros to enter parts of the merch/market area.....

Wacken 2015 already sold out in 12 hours. Crazy stuff. Although from what i've read about the festival just gone, they were charging people a few Euros to enter parts of the merch/market area.....
Doesn't surprise me. I think if you're from overseas - if you've done it once or twice, move on and spend your dosh elsewhere on less expensive, smaller and slightly more intimate festivals where the beer, food and merch is more realistically priced and the walk to the stage area doesn't take half an hr.
That'll be my mindset if I ever go back, it doesn't help that I'm 3 feet tall in a crowd of 75,000 either, so a less packed stage area is also a good selling point for me also.

Doesn't surprise me. I think if you're from overseas - if you've done it once or twice, move on and spend your dosh elsewhere on less expensive, smaller and slightly more intimate festivals where the beer, food and merch is more realistically priced and the walk to the stage area doesn't take half an hr.
That'll be my mindset if I ever go back, it doesn't help that I'm 3 feet tall in a crowd of 75,000 either, so a less packed stage area is also a good selling point for me also.

I agree, i went once in 2010 and that was enough for me. Like you mention it's too far a walk to the stages and it's almost like one big tourist trap, heh. But yeah, plenty of better festivals with more affordable prices and better bands.

Whenever I come to Bigfooty I only ever shelter myself in the video games forums and had absolutely no idea this forum or thread existed. Not sure where and what to jump in with so I'll just throw in a few things that often find their way back into my rotation and probably as close as I could get to saying are my favourite things

Last edited:
Whenever I come to Bigfooty I only ever shelter myself in the video games forums and had absolutely no idea this forum or thread existed. Not sure where and what to jump in with so I'll just throw in a few things that often find their way back into my rotation and probably as close as I could get to saying are my favourite things

Meditant is the best song BAN ever did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back