Round 19 - Sydney vs Essendon @ SCG

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Do a poll... I think you will find the love for hating you is universal
Actually the AFL did one only a few weeks ago. (There was a thread on it here, titled something like "Collingwood Still the Most Hated Club".)

And it turns out in the reality-based world (quite a different proposition to BF, I hope you understand) we're hardly hated at all.

Last edited:

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Different thread compared to when Essendon got some kicks go their way v Adelaide and all their fans cried about how the better team won and the umps don't affect the game that much (and they were right).

And now last night you have Lance Uppercut posting sensibly, but the rest whinging about the umps even though Sydney had them at arms length for 85% of the night..

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Different thread compared to when Essendon got some kicks go their way v Adelaide and all their fans cried about how the better team won and the umps don't affect the game that much (and they were right).

And now last night you have Lance Uppercut posting sensibly, but the rest whinging about the umps even though Sydney had them at arms length for 85% of the night..

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
So coming within 4 goals of the best side in the comp at home and outscoring them for the final 3 quarters and restricting them to 4 goals in a half is so bad that everyone is saying Richmond will beat us next week. Yes Sydney got the job done early and were deserved winners, but the result was about what most would have expected going in.

Yeah, Essendon can take a lot out of that game. Sydney are a team at the top of their game and were able to find that extra gear. Bombers should have no trouble in disposing of the opposition in next few weeks and with Watson (and Daniher?) back can do some damage in the finals.

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney's free kick count in the last 2 weeks: 45-25. Anything in that?

Our total differential for the year is +13 (that is, compared to our opponents each game, we've had a total of 13 more free kicks this year). That puts us sixth on the ladder for that statistic.

Hawthorn's is +22.

This is the first time the Swans have had a positive free kick differential since 2004.

You'd think if there was a conspiracy they'd do a better job at it.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Essendon were very good last night the game should of been even closer had it not been for 2 direct turnovers in the center which cost you 2 goals especially the one to Rohan in the first quarter.

That first quarter cost you the game similar sort of start to our game earlier in the year, one thing i can say is Essendon will be a huge nuisance for any team in the last 4 weeks they are looking for big scalps.

Hurley comprehensively beat Reid and some marks he took were sublime, Ryder was super dangerous Richards couldn't go with him on the air or on the lead, put in that sort of performance against Richmond and you will destroy them imo.

Agree with this assessment.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, Essendon can take a lot out of that game. Sydney are a team at the top of their game and were able to find that extra gear. Bombers should have no trouble in disposing of the opposition in next few weeks and with Watson (and Daniher?) back can do some damage in the finals.

Wow, if that's you blokes at the top of your game you may as well start planning for 2015... Try and bring in another million dollar man, request an even more biased draw and ensure you have another 5-6 academies set up around Australia. Good luck

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Yer Goodes gets scragged a lot but that last free infront of goal there was no contact he just threw himself back not a good look and i reckon it will get brought up during the week.

Just my unbiased opinion.
I hate it when Goodes plays for frees. Hate it when any hawk player does too.

In fact the whole damn thing has gone too far. Every pack and every out of bounds you have players from both sides with arms out pleading for a free.

It's just so crap to watch.

No wonder the umpires make mistakes. They've got enough to watch as it is.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Wow, if that's you blokes at the top of your game you may as well start planning for 2015... Try and bring in another million dollar man, request an even more biased draw and ensure you have another 5-6 academies set up around Australia. Good luck

Think we are pacing ourselfves quite well ive watched enough to know when we can step it up a few gears.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I hate it when Goodes plays for frees. Hate it when any hawk player does too.

In fact the whole damn thing has gone too far. Every pack and every out of bounds you have players from both sides with arms out pleading for a free.

It's just so crap to watch.

No wonder the umpires make mistakes. They've got enough to watch as it is.

Yep they had a chance to really stamp it out a few years ago when it was starting but they ignored it so its to late now, it has become a technique players will be instructed to do it and if you can get a couple of crucial free kicks go your way why would you stop doing it?

I mean people keep bagging Selwood but if the umpire keeps giving him free's why is he going to stop doing it?

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Our total differential for the year is +13 (that is, compared to our opponents each game, we've had a total of 13 more free kicks this year). That puts us sixth on the ladder for that statistic.

Hawthorn's is +22.

This is the first time the Swans have had a positive free kick differential since 2004.

You'd think if there was a conspiracy they'd do a better job at it.

I expect the apologies to come flooding in.

Any minute now..

Yep they had a chance to really stamp it out a few years ago when it was starting but they ignored it so its to late now, it has become a technique players will be instructed to do it and if you can get a couple of crucial free kicks go your way why would you stop doing it?

I mean people keep bagging Selwood but if the umpire keeps giving him free's why is he going to stop doing it?

The only way is a MRP giving out a week or two for staging and appealing when the free isn't there. oh and give membership bans to WCE supporters for the same.

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon

Sydney got away in the first and that was the game. They spent the night in cruise control while Essendon controlled most of the game while achieving absolutely nothing offensively, much like earlier in the season.

You're right, the umps had nothing to do with it. Sydney phoned in the win and Essendon firmly lost the game for themselves.

Back