Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forks over Knives -

Interesting, i thought it the best of the Marvel stable.
I really liked the first one and have seen it a handful of times but this latest one just seemed to trudge along for me.
Perhaps it's the lack of Nazis. I really enjoy seeing those guys get their arses kicked.

Locke.

Oh boy. I said maybe two years ago that Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch will be this generations DeNiro and Pacino. This movie does nothing to dissuade me from that opinion. Hardy is just a beast of an actor. All but singlehandedly carries this entire film (to say it is solely him does disservice to the great supporting performances on the phone). What a film.

Would be an interesting debate about who'll win an Academy Award first, Hardy or Cumberbatch.

Guardians of the Galaxy - stupid me, I didn't realize I'd walked into a kids movie. 5/10

Gee, I don't know what you expected from the poster or trailer...

It's a comic book movie co-made by Disney with a talking raccoon as a major player. I sat there watching it thinking, gee, for an unknown comic adaptation they've pretty much put something in for everybody to enjoy. But then, I forgot about my old mate chefmeister :(

It'll make a billion. And it made me just a little easier with Disney running with Star Wars.

Gee, I don't know what you expected from the poster or trailer...

It's a comic book movie co-made by Disney with a talking raccoon as a major player. I sat there watching it thinking, gee, for an unknown comic adaptation they've pretty much put something in for everybody to enjoy. But then, I forgot about my old mate chefmeister :(

It'll make a billion. And it made me just a little easier with Disney running with Star Wars.
Hadn't seen the trailer and barely even glanced at the poster.
Just heard there was a new sic-fi, special fx extravaganza out based on a Marvel comic.
Was pretty disappointed and even considered leaving about 20 mins in except my gf wanted to 'give it a chance'.. :(

FWIW that bloody raccoon pissed me off to no end.

Locke

As many have mentioned above this really is a very good flick, & not having seen Hardy in anything since probably Inception or Bronson, it has slipped my mind just how good he is - a lesser actor could really have struggled pulling this off. 8/10.

Having a read of Hardy's bio I came across this - Hardy will next be seen as the iconic Mad Max in George Miller's reboot of his Mad Max franchise, Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). As a lover of the first Mad Max & provided they can capture some of the magic of that film, I am not against seeing Maxy boy kickoff again & who better than Hardy to do it.

Marvel is really taking the piss with GoG, it's a shitty second rate comic with bugger all readers. I'm a bit of a comic/graphi novel nerd so I "knew" of GoG but not well, checked out the Marvel encyclopedia (I might be nerdier than I am letting on) and all the characters get about a paragraph (for comparison big characters get 5-6 pages). Having said all of that it looks like fun and will make a lot of cash and I will go see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know nothing of the GotG lore or characters so have no expectations going into it. Sounds like I might be pleasantly suprised. Its viewer review scores on other sites are really high.
Reviews seem to be in two camps:

Those wanting dark, Dark Knight style comic book movies. They seem to be disappointed.

And those going in for a good time. They seem to be loving it.

The best part of the movie being successful is it removes the risk now for Marvel and Disney to produce films based on lesser known brands and in particular, those based in the cosmic universe. They know the stories can be financially viable and that moving towards the Avengers 3 eventual Infinity Gauntlet storyline will be a venture that will pay off. It means characters like Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock and a standalone Nova Corps film could work. It means Ant Man and Doctor Strange and Namor can all be integrated with less fear. It means Planet Hulk could be a reality.

It's a good sign.

112 Weddings

Guy who shoots wedding videos tracks down some of the couples to see how they're holding up years later. Some have been happy most of the time. Some have struggled. Some have divorced. But it gives lots of interesting insights into marriage and the reality of it. Funny, touching and upsetting at different times. The film itself is like marriage.

3.5/5

Watchers of the Sky

A piece about genocide throughout the 20th century and how the world has largely ignored those who commit it. While telling an important story, trying to send across a very significant message, and giving due recognition to a great man in Raphael Lemkin, it does have only a few people they speak to, and it does go for a very long time. Could've been put together a bit better.

3/5

Around The Block - 2/5
Draft Day - 3.5/5
Of Mice And Men - 4/5
Ping Pong Summer - 3/5
Tracks - 3/5
The Words - 3/5
Very Good Girls - 2/5
The Double - 2.5/5
Squatters - 3/5
Stay - 3/5

Locke

As many have mentioned above this really is a very good flick, & not having seen Hardy in anything since probably Inception or Bronson, it has slipped my mind just how good he is - a lesser actor could really have struggled pulling this off. 8/10.

Having a read of Hardy's bio I came across this - Hardy will next be seen as the iconic Mad Max in George Miller's reboot of his Mad Max franchise, Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). As a lover of the first Mad Max & provided they can capture some of the magic of that film, I am not against seeing Maxy boy kickoff again & who better than Hardy to do it.

He's also set to play both Kray twins in another project, which has me questioning whether or not they should remake the Nutty Professor and do it right this time by casting Hardy because he'd kill it.

He's also set to play both Kray twins in another project, which has me questioning whether or not they should remake the Nutty Professor and do it right this time by casting Hardy because he'd kill it.
Be a bizarre end to the film with the Professor getting naked and killing everyone in sight.

Two Days, One Night

Marion Collitard is just amazing in anything she does. This is no exception. Her performance as Sandra is the anchor of this film. As people say with great performances, it's more what she *doesn't* do that makes it so good. You can sends so much beneath the surface that gives the character such depth.

The film itself got a touch repetitive at times due to the nature of the plot, Collitard explaining her predicament to 14 or so co-workers. But the characters were varied enough, the performances/writing of such quality and Collitard's presence enough, to guarantee a quality film.

4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back