news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth putting 20 on at the tab. It's a fair stretch but the last time we seen him he wrapped his leg around another blokes knee. The more I think about it, if he gets knocked out then some would argue it's time for silva to retire. The opposite of that is he comes out like the silva we know and destroys Diaz in stunning fashion. It really is make or break for the spider.

Imagine if its a snooze fest like Silva v Maia or something... Surely that couldnt happen

It's worth putting 20 on at the tab. It's a fair stretch but the last time we seen him he wrapped his leg around another blokes knee. The more I think about it, if he gets knocked out then some would argue it's time for silva to retire. The opposite of that is he comes out like the silva we know and destroys Diaz in stunning fashion. It really is make or break for the spider.

For him to wrap his leg around Diaz's knee, Diaz would need to start checking kicks. ;) I don't see a way for him to win the fight, but depending on the odds it might be worth a small play.

Both Kevin Casey and Robert Drysdale got popped on the drug testing from the TUF 19 finale. Drysdale's T/E ratio tested very high for the second time since signing with the UFC, so it will be very interesting to see how they handle that case.

Just read a juicy rumour about 178. Nurmagomedov being injured may mean that Cerrone will fight Eddie Alvarez instead. Nothing is official, but this is apparently in the works. Would be awesome to see Eddie finally in the octagon!

Rory MacDonald vs Tarec Saffiedine main event in Halifax fight night in October

That's bullshit. They make the number 2 ranked guy, the next guy deserving of a title shot, fight a guy at number 10. This is a lose/lose fight for Rory. If Woodley or Lombard put in a good fight against higher ranked guys then I can see the UFC making them the next contender. If Rory does anything other than annihilate Saffiedine then people will question if he deserves the next shot.

Gunnar Nelson should be fighting Saffiedine, not Rory.

I don't mind it. If guys like Saffedine never get a shot at the big boys how can they progress, not everyone can fight someone above them.

I don't mind Tarec getting a shot at Rory given that he was the last Strikeforce champ. I think Rory will likely be too good for him in the end, but it serves the purpose of keeping the Canadian fans happy and keeping Rory busy while waiting for a title shot.

I don't mind Tarec getting a shot at Rory given that he was the last Strikeforce champ. I think Rory will likely be too good for him in the end, but it serves the purpose of keeping the Canadian fans happy and keeping Rory busy while waiting for a title shot.

If you are in the top 10 you have to defend your spot as well as trying to advance it.

I don't mind it. If guys like Saffedine never get a shot at the big boys how can they progress, not everyone can fight someone above them.

Give him a 5-10 ranked guy, not a contender. If Saffedine wins, what next for him? If Rory wins and gets a title shot people will bitch that a win against a guy outside the top 10 isn't worth getting a shot.

Does anyone know if you can stream Metamoris? Would love to watch it

I think that mmajunkie.com was going to stream it, but I'm going from memory. That might be another card.

If you are in the top 10 you have to defend your spot as well as trying to advance it.

Valid points and I do agree with them, I just don't know what is in it for Rory. If he loses this fight it will be terrible for his young career. I like both fighters and I like how Rory is happy to take the fight, it shows that he has a good mentality to take whoever, but Saffedine is dangerous and a win won't get him any closer to a title shot.

Give him a 5-10 ranked guy, not a contender. If Saffedine wins, what next for him? If Rory wins and gets a title shot people will bitch that a win against a guy outside the top 10 isn't worth getting a shot.

Valid points and I do agree with them, I just don't know what is in it for Rory. If he loses this fight it will be terrible for his young career. I like both fighters and I like how Rory is happy to take the fight, it shows that he has a good mentality to take whoever, but Saffedine is dangerous and a win won't get him any closer to a title shot.

Your first point is probably fair, maybe a 5-10 guy is a better call. Second point kind of misses the point though. Rory (and everyone) can't just fight people above them. Not every fight can be to progress otherwise the guys below would never get a shot.

Your first point is probably fair, maybe a 5-10 guy is a better call. Second point kind of misses the point though. Rory (and everyone) can't just fight people above them. Not every fight can be to progress otherwise the guys below would never get a shot.

I know what you mean, but Rory could fight Lombard (6) with Condit and Brown out, and that he just beat Woodley (4) (and Tyron has a fight booked against Stun Gun(9)) There isn't many fights out there that make sense for him, unless they made Nick Diaz fight him before the Anderson fight, but that is still a no win fight for him.

Just to add to that, Rory has fought Condit (and almost won the fight), Ellenberger, Lawler (via split decision), Maia, and Woodley.

I'm all for fighters of lower ranks being given tough opponents, I just don't like the scale of the jump. For me it isn't much different to Sonnen being gifted title shots when he didn't deserve it. Here's how the fight would look, based on takings, in the other divisions;

Bruce Leroy vs Raphael Assuncao
Jeremy Stephens vs Frankie Edgar
Phillippou vs Belfort
OSP vs Rashad
Mir vs Browne

I know that different divisions are not as strong, but you get my point.

I have just realised that I have ranted about this way too much :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rory can make someone like Tyron Woodley look out of his depth, he shouldn't be too trouble by Tarec. I agree it's more of a leg-up for the other guy if he can demonstrate that he can hang with the big boys but it's up to Rory to assert his dominance then and prove he should be ranked where he is.

I get your point and it's probably fair enough, maybe Saffedine v #5 (Is that Woodley?) is a better fight. My point was more around people who say "it's a no win fight, he should be getting someone ranked above him etc". It can't always work like that, someone needs to be the higher ranked fighter.

Woodley has a win over Tarec already in Strikeforce. From what I can remember that was back in the day when he was known for lay and pray, so it would likely be a better fight if they were to go again.

My guess is that with the way the welterweight top 10 is at the moment (with both existing match ups and injuries/sabbaticals), Tarec either had to take a big step up or would need to take a step back and they chose the former.

Some perspective from the PoV of Nikita Krylov: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/2...-nikita-krylov-perseveres-in-war-torn-ukraine

So it went for the rest of the week, the tides of war raining devastation upon Donetsk and neighboring Luhansk, and Krylov left to his own in Dublin, dreading what news the next dawn may bring. His childhood friend, the one who penned the tattoo that will forever remain on Krylov's chest, with whom Krylov shared so many laughs over so many years, had his leg and torso ripped apart by gunfire. One more nameless casualty among thousands.

Gray Maynard is stepping in for Abel Trujillo at Fight Night 47 next week against Ross Pearson. I'll be very interested to see how he goes after a decent layoff and on short notice. Pearson looked good against Sanchez last time out and appears to be coming in to his prime. If Gray's chin is gone, it could be another early night for him.

Agreed. Hid TDD looked good against Sanchez, but Gray's another level up. Gray looked to stand and trade against both Diaz and Grant in his last two fights, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him return to his wrestling roots for this fight.

Read the Mark Hunt thing, but have since seen that Dana's said he isn't referring to the UFC. I would still expect him to fight Nelson in Japan next.

10570333_10152383703679125_3210885185504205699_n.jpg

Gotta get me some of that TRT.

The Korean Zombie is finally back, fighting Akira Corassani in the co main eveny of the Sweden card. Great to have him back after his title fight ended in an unfortunate way.

Also read that Ben Saunders is back with the UFC too. Strange that he has been re-signed on the back of a loss, but he seems like a good guy and generally puts on exciting fights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back